Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Simple Safari Question

Simple Safari Question
Dopey
Apr 4, 2003, 11:14 AM

How do I get Safari to view pdf documents instead of downloading them and then opening Acrobat Reader as a new app to view them? What I am looking for is the MS Explorer type functionality where you view the pdf within the browser. I hate having downloaded pdfs cluttering my desktop (or anywhere on my harddisl for that matter).

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2003, 11:39 AM

[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated

2far
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 4, 2003, 11:39 AM

Good question, simple answer:

http://www.schubert-it.com/pluginpdf/

It's great!

Dopey  (op)
Apr 4, 2003, 11:47 AM

I actually installed it last night, hence my quetion today. The plug-in didn't seem to be working. I copied it in the Library/Internet plugins folder. Is there anything else I need to do?

manfreds
Apr 4, 2003, 12:12 PM

Originally posted by Dopey:
I actually installed it last night, hence my quetion today. The plug-in didn't seem to be working. I copied it in the Library/Internet plugins folder. Is there anything else I need to do?
There's nothing else you need to do.
Did you put it in the right folder? There should be other plugins in there like the QuickTime plugin. Then restart Safari.

You know that it's installed correctly if it's listed in Safari->Help->Installed Plug-ins.
Turn your web browser into a great PDF viewer � with PDF Browser Plugin

2far
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 4, 2003, 01:04 PM

Did you put it in /Library/Internet Plug-Ins or ~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins (in your home directory)?

The manual says to put it in the one in the root of your hard disk (in the finder window, klick on "Computer", then your hard disk, then Library, etc).

Dopey  (op)
Apr 4, 2003, 01:16 PM

I put it in the "home" library as opposed to my "user" library.

2far
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 4, 2003, 01:29 PM

That may be the reason (altho from what I understand it should work in either directory - anyway, the manual says to put it in the other one).

Try moving it to the /Library/Internet Plugins in the root of your HD, as described above.

manfreds
Apr 4, 2003, 01:47 PM

Either one should work.

In the Safari Help menu select "Installed Plug-ins" and post that info here. Maybe you have the Acrobat PDFViewer plugin for Classic Mac OS installed there too. That would be the only thing I could think of right now why it's not working for you.
Turn your web browser into a great PDF viewer � with PDF Browser Plugin

Dopey  (op)
Apr 4, 2003, 02:54 PM

Thanks for the help. This will have to wait until the weekend though.

Dopey  (op)
Apr 7, 2003, 12:18 PM

Thanks everyone. It works. Stupid confession time -- I forgot to quit and then restart Safari after I had installed the plug-in.

Follow up question - it appears that the safari find command will not work in a pdf document being viewed - is that correct? The message I get is that there is nowhere to search.

Forum Links
Forum Rules