Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Mark as Junk Mail, Mail.app go bye-bye

Mark as Junk Mail, Mail.app go bye-bye
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2004, 03:20 PM

It seems like my whole junk mail system in mail.app just crapped out. All was working fine since the beginning, then a day or so ago, it started not filtering my junk mail, and when i try to call a junk mail junk, mail crashed!! Its driving me nuts, any ideas on this?

bitjumper
Jan 20, 2004, 10:33 PM

Mostly same here. Was filtering fine for about a month.

One evening I switched to learning mode, marked a file as junk, and poof - the program crashed.

It hasn't successfully marked anything as junk for weeks now.

Erik

p.s. A co-worker by coincidence asked me today if my junk filtering was still working. His has stopped too.

fortepianissimo
Senior User
Jan 20, 2004, 11:00 PM

Originally posted by bitjumper:
Mostly same here. Was filtering fine for about a month.

One evening I switched to learning mode, marked a file as junk, and poof - the program crashed.

It hasn't successfully marked anything as junk for weeks now.

Erik

p.s. A co-worker by coincidence asked me today if my junk filtering was still working. His has stopped too.
Did you try to "reset" the junk filter? It's in the Junk Mail tab of Preferences...

hotani
Senior User
Jan 21, 2004, 12:28 PM

Yes, yes, yes - Exactly what is happening with mine. (as posted in this thread)

I have not tried the reset function yet, but when I get home I'll give that a shot.

This all happenend when my mail host switched to IMAP, which is a wonderful thing -- don't get me wrong -- but mail.app did not seem to like it too much. At least, not when it came to the junk filter.

Anyway, I've recently just turned off the junk filter coz I don't see the point. Not just because of the crashes, but I get so much junk my only option is to filter it by only accepting messages from people in my address book. Even then, with the junk filter turned on it still goofs up and throws out legit e-mails. I'm not missing it so far...
// hōtani
MDD G4 dual 867

spectreman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2004, 12:58 PM

This topic is all over the apple knowledge base forums. According to them, your apple.com.mail.plist is corrupted. I've tried the fix they recommended, but it didn't work. Now mail.app crashes after a few minutes of use. If I find the link to the thread on the apple boards, I'll repost it here.

edit:
Here is the link to the mail.app forum on the knowledge base discussions at the apple site.

There are discussions in this thread and this thread
( Last edited by spectreman; Jan 21, 2004 at 01:05 PM. )

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 21, 2004, 04:48 PM

Post both the Console log and the crash reporter log from when Mail crashes.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2004, 08:37 PM

I have had this problem too. Certain emails, especially those mysterious blank ones that have been showing up lately, set it as Junk and Mail dies. Resetting the Junk Mail filter cures it, for a while, then it comes back.

DarylF2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2004, 08:39 PM

I was having Mail.app crashed whenever I marked a message as Junk or Not Junk. I quit Mail.app and trashed the ~/Library/Mail/LSMMap2 file (which is recreated the next time you run Mail.app).

I haven't had any crashes since.

zythemac
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 30, 2004, 02:06 PM

AHHHHHHHHH, thank you soooo much!

Originally posted by DarylF2:
I was having Mail.app crashed whenever I marked a message as Junk or Not Junk. I quit Mail.app and trashed the ~/Library/Mail/LSMMap2 file (which is recreated the next time you run Mail.app).

I haven't had any crashes since.

zythemac
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 30, 2004, 02:08 PM

Hey! What happened to the number of posts I had and my member status? I use to have hundreds!

Originally posted by zythemac:
AHHHHHHHHH, thank you soooo much!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 30, 2004, 03:16 PM

Originally posted by SMacTech:
I have had this problem too. Certain emails, especially those mysterious blank ones that have been showing up lately, set it as Junk and Mail dies. Resetting the Junk Mail filter cures it, for a while, then it comes back.
Those mysterious blank ones could be mailbox corruption.

Try rebuilding your mailboxes.

Oh, and zythemac:

There was a database something-or-other a while ago that ate a lot of post counts.

-s*

Forum Links
Forum Rules