Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Sex is bad...mmkay

Sex is bad...mmkay
Zoom_zoom
Senior User
Jun 1, 2004, 11:17 PM

I am in the middle of doing a assignment on social concens on drugs, so any ways I look up the Sydney Morning Herald website, and I saw THIS ARTICLE

"Teachers must also avoid any mention of contraception, except to point out the failure rates of various methods."

what a crazy world!!

-ZZ

http://www.paul.fuary.com.au
"You hate people!" "But I love gatherings, isn't it ironic"

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 1, 2004, 11:25 PM

The sad part is... It's the parents that talk to their kids all the time, provide a safe home environment, prepare them for their future, make sure they have a good breakfast every day and know that they will go to a good college that DON'T want sex education in the classroom. (and show up to the schools to protest stuff like teaching contraception)

And it's the kids who's parents don't give a crap that suffer.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2004, 11:36 PM

Did any of you go through sex ed? For us, we really didn't learn anything. That said you would be amazed at what teachers will throw in these classes that parents would not want their children being taught.

wang_himself
Senior User
Jun 1, 2004, 11:42 PM

I thought sex was good. Sex allows for the survival of the Humans between a woman and a woman until Morbo makes humans his vermin of the week and crushes us all
/hi

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Jun 1, 2004, 11:47 PM

Originally posted by wang_himself:
I thought sex was good. Sex allows for the survival of the Humans between a woman and a woman until Morbo makes humans his vermin of the week and crushes us all

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 1, 2004, 11:53 PM

Yes ladies and gentleman, YET ANOTHER AMAZING WANG HIMSELF POST!!!

(don't forget to tip your waitresses)

wang_himself
Senior User
Jun 1, 2004, 11:56 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
Yes ladies and gentleman, YET ANOTHER AMAZING WANG HIMSELF POST!!!

(don't forget to tip your waitresses)
+1

and +1 for mitchell_pgh is an asshat
/hi

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 1, 2004, 11:59 PM

I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 2, 2004, 12:07 AM

+1

and +1 for mitchell_pgh is an asshat
Is it me or did it just get dumb in here?

Back on topic:

I wish we lived in a world where I could say "It's the responsibility of the parents to teach such topics" but unfortunately we live in a society where sex ed isn't taught in the home.

Zoom_zoom  (op)
Senior User
Jun 2, 2004, 12:23 AM

I wish we lived in a world where I could say "It's the responsibility of the parents to teach such topics" but unfortunately we live in a society where sex ed isn't taught in the home.
Yeah it's a bit like that unfortnantly, I think I learnt all about sex when i was about 8 from my parents (including AIDS and other STDS) I guess it was eaiser to talk about 'cause my mum was a nurse.

I just don't understand why some people think sex is bad???

deomacius
Senior User
Jun 2, 2004, 12:26 AM

Perhaps another idea would be a sex-ed class for parents with some kind of incentive. It would teach them different ways to approach the topic with their kids. That way parents could tackle the subject in the manner they are most morally comfortable with. You'll still end up with some who fall through the cracks, but that would be the case with students in a class as well. At least the parents would still have a say in what their child is being taught rather than having society dictate what it thinks is right and wrong.

You reap what you sow.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 2, 2004, 12:33 AM

Originally posted by deomacius:
Perhaps another idea would be a sex-ed class for parents with some kind of incentive. It would teach them different ways to approach the topic with their kids. That way parents could tackle the subject in the manner they are most morally comfortable with. You'll still end up with some who fall through the cracks, but that would be the case with students in a class as well. At least the parents would still have a say in what their child is being taught rather than having society dictate what it thinks is right and wrong.
The problem is, having a free class for the parents only brings the best parents, not the ones that need the class.

Teachers should talk extensively about sexually transmitted diseases and how you should wait until you are ready, but that you MUST always use protection or you run the risk of carrying and/or spreading disease or having a child.

I think they should send out a "Sex Education" sheet that has a ton of check boxes. If the parent doesn't check any of them, they teach them everything. If they have some things checked off, they teach them less etc. etc. So the lazy parents will just let them learn everything and the uptight parents will check everything off.

It's the fair way unfortunately. (that's kind of what they did with us)

Applefreak01
Senior User
Jun 2, 2004, 12:36 AM

We had sex ed classes thought in school in the 6th or 7th grade. I can't remember which grade I know it was in middle school though. We really didn't learn anything. What we learned was from talking with our friends, big brothers, and big sisters. I think it should be a part of the school systems. I mean if they can watch animals doing it on the Discovery channel (or people having sex on just about any other TV channel for that matter) why can't they be thought about sex in schools.
[Riding a circus elephant]
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 2, 2004, 12:39 AM

Originally posted by Applefreak01:
We had sex ed classes thought in school in the 6th or 7th grade. I can't remember which grade I know it was in middle school though. We really didn't learn anything. I think it should be a part of the school systems. I mean if they can watch animals doing it on the Discovery channel (or just about any other TV channel for that matter) why can't they be thought about sex in schools.
It was a big deal in the late 80's even to talk about sex in the school.

Now I think it should just be another part. They obviously shouldn't be saying "having sex is cool", but perhaps a "having sex is something special... bla bla bla".

I think the parent fear that by teaching kids about sex, they will have sex. Like showing a kid how to light matches...

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2004, 12:48 AM

I think the parent fear that by teaching kids about sex, they will have sex. Like showing a kid how to light matches...
Maybe, but a lot of them will have sex anyway. Eventually you have to learn how to light matches without burning yourself or causing arson. I'm amazed how many unwanted pregnancies I've heard of were caused by people just not knowing how to use a condom.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 2, 2004, 12:53 AM

Originally posted by itai195:
Maybe, but a lot of them will have sex anyway. Eventually you have to learn how to light matches without burning yourself or causing arson. I'm amazed how many unwanted pregnancies I've heard of were caused by people just not knowing how to use a condom.
so true... statistically, parent's should know that someone is having sex even as early as grade 4...

But I'm sure they all say the same thing "Not my kid"

Applefreak01
Senior User
Jun 2, 2004, 01:06 AM

It was a big deal in the late 80's even to talk about sex in the school.

Now I think it should just be another part. They obviously shouldn't be saying "having sex is cool", but perhaps a "having sex is something special... bla bla bla".

I didn't go to school in the 80's. But I agree that it should be another part in todays schools.

I saw a piece on CNN on the TV about how this middle school girl got kicked out of her school for selling these sex braclets to her peers. The braclets are common to college students and like most college trends worked their way down to lower grade schools. The girl said that she didn't know what the braclets meant until a boy at her school told her and that she was only wearing/selling them because she and her friends liked the colors. The girl's mom had no idea what the braclets meant either and was shocked when she found out their real meaning.

If they teach them that there are possible consequences to having sex like getting a STD or having a child, I think more kids would realize that sex isn't something you do to be cool but a privilage that you can choose to have when they are older and more mature to handle it. What responsible teacher would say ok kids here is how you have sex without pointing out that their are some bad things that could happen if they did have sex.
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

Zoom_zoom  (op)
Senior User
Jun 2, 2004, 01:34 AM

When i was in high school, i think the sex ed class only lasted 3 periods though the whole of my schooling year..

Maybe they should have a more open system, which one a week(thoughout the school year) kids can ask any questions (out loud or peronsally) about sex so kids actually learn something..

who knows I guess..

"Teachers must also avoid any mention of contraception, except to point out the failure rates of various methods"

- I mean, the guys in third world countries don't know about contraception, and they are still breeding..

Applefreak01
Senior User
Jun 2, 2004, 01:40 AM

My sex ed class was only one class. We had a seperate health class in which they touched on STDs and having a child in middle and high school. More than one class is a must because the guys in my class would laugh when they should pictures or said certain words like inmature childern do. Heck I might have laughed a few times too. We really didn't pay attention to what the video was saying because we just took it as a free period. Some of us paid attention but not a lot. Maybe we would've taken it more seriously if we had more classes and had to take test or something like that.

voyageur
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2004, 08:37 AM

Interesting to hear everyone's experiences with sex ed. My kids received extensive sex ed in school, at home, and most of all through our church. The church program was very explicit and my kids both found it very helpful. (There was stuff in that curriculum I didn't know, and I'm 47.) In addition to all the facts, it also stressed the emotional parts of sex and taught them responsibility for their actions and respect for others. Nevertheless, the explicit nature of the program landed our church in hot water with a few parents, who made a fuss, and the worthies of our 350-year-old church ended up on a national news program one evening defending the program.

ryju
Professional Poster
Jun 2, 2004, 08:49 AM

If you have sex you WILL get pregnant and you WILL die.

djohnson
Professional Poster
Jun 2, 2004, 09:31 AM

Originally posted by ryju:
If you have sex you WILL get pregnant and you WILL die.
I like the "you WILL die" part of that!

Forum Links
Forum Rules