Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > My Exam story..

My Exam story..
Zoom_zoom
Senior User
Jun 17, 2004, 03:28 AM

So this semester i took a class called Principals of pharmacology at University (for my nursing degree) any who's it was a great subject, even though it was external it was fun!
So i did the assignment and did okay (Credit +) and yeah i was all pumped for the exam which was worth 50%

Now, here's the fun part...

I had always thought that my exam was on @ 9am Wednesday... i never really paid attention to the date as i put it in on ical a month or so back on the wednesday

So on the tuesday i go into the bank to pay my rent and i bump into another nursing student, any ways i tell her i am almost done this semester and i only have pharmacology exam which is on tomorrow
she then looks at me really strangely and informed me that the exam was on TODAY!
and that i had missed it!

SO yeah the university won't let me sit another exam, or do a deferred one, and the "student Association" ( a pretend union) won't help me either so i am down 900 bucks with nothing to show for it!

moral of the story:
#1 : I am an idiot
#2: Make sure you check your exam dates!
#3: Don't talk to strangers

http://www.paul.fuary.com.au
"You hate people!" "But I love gatherings, isn't it ironic"

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2004, 07:27 AM

D'oh! Claim you were in accident and go beak your leg!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 17, 2004, 07:38 AM

That's always been my worst nightmare.

1) I would go and talk to the professor one on one. Be super nice, and tell him the truth, and don't be too wordy about it. Beg if you must (it was your mistake) and feel free to make up a sob story if you must.

When I was a university professor, I made rules and would compromise them on a case by case basis. That being said, I felt it was my poetic justice when the jerk of the class missed a final (I'm not saying you are a jerk, but don't expect any favors when you have been a pain).

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 17, 2004, 07:39 AM

I still wake up in the middle of the night from nightmares of missing a class that somehow I was signed up for but never went.

dav
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2004, 09:10 AM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
I still wake up in the middle of the night from nightmares of missing a class that somehow I was signed up for but never went.
I had that one too, for the longest time... even after graduating and being in a career for five years.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jun 17, 2004, 09:13 AM

$$$ buys anything...especially a makeup exam with a Professor...

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2004, 09:18 AM

Originally posted by dav:
I had that one too, for the longest time... even after graduating and being in a career for five years.
I thought I was the only one who had those nightmares.

Though its only been three years since I graduated.
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

voyageur
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2004, 09:19 AM

Originally posted by Zoom_zoom:
SO yeah the university won't let me sit another exam, or do a deferred one, and the "student Association" ( a pretend union) won't help me either so i am down 900 bucks with nothing to show for it!
So, ZZ, what are your options? Will you have to repeat the entire course just to take the exam? (and pay the $900 again)
My college had the honor system for exams: schedule your own. (Maybe that's why I've never had one of those "missed exam" nightmares. ) It actually worked quite well; I don't think we had any more cheaters than one finds with proctored exams.

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2004, 09:40 AM

so wait... you are going to be a male nurse... maybe its a sign

djohnson
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2004, 11:03 AM

I never had any of those missing a class/exam dreams. Then again, maybe it was because I skipped the early classes my first 2 years. Instead I have work related dreams....

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 17, 2004, 11:07 AM

I know people well in to their 30's that have the "missed class/final" dreams...

Scary if you ask me.

Turias
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2004, 11:10 AM

Ouch, that sucks.

I knew a guy a couple years ago that didn't wake up for his final. At 9:15, 45 minutes into it, he got woken up by a phone call from his professor telling him to get his butt down to the academic building.

He ran the whole way.

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2004, 11:11 AM

I slept through half of my Heat Transfer final exam this last semester!! The TA gave me a little extra time but I still ended up taking a 2.5 hour exam in less than 2 hours. I still got a 93 though,
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 17, 2004, 11:30 AM

Originally posted by Turias:
Ouch, that sucks.

I knew a guy a couple years ago that didn't wake up for his final. At 9:15, 45 minutes into it, he got woken up by a phone call from his professor telling him to get his butt down to the academic building.

He ran the whole way.
My professors would have called after it was all done saying "HA HA, I GOT YOU!!!"

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2004, 11:32 AM

I always put exam dates on my iCal way ahead of time. I'll be sure to double check them now!

I actually had a not-so-close call once with a linear algebra class. I went to the building at the date and time I had in my iCal. I couldn't remember the exact room number, so I checked the exam schedule printout that they tape on all the doors. According to the printout, my exam was two days ago! I panicked, and raced to the room on the printout. No one was there. I panicked some more. Then I heard people in another room down the hall, and it turned out to be my exam. The printout was wrong about the date, and had transposed two numbers in the room assignment.

I got an A though

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2004, 11:53 AM

This happened to me as well. I had the day of exam right but for some reason the prof. decided on changing the time of the exam from 11:50am to 8:00am, and never told me. Even though he saw me the previous day when I stopped him and asked a question. Luckily he was cool about it and realized I had no clue what was going on and he let me turn in my Final project's in without any penalty, sorry to hear what happened to you though.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2004, 05:28 PM

LOL, yes I used to have that nightmare all the time in college. Not so much since then, though. Of course, I'm currently involved in a distance learning program, so I never have to actually go to class

I always interpreted it as some kind of competitive anxiety. I didn't really compete with anybody in college, but in my dreams I'd always be in the class with high school friends (who didn't go to my college) who I used to be very competitive with. I also decided that it refleted my belief that academia just wasn't for me.
( Last edited by itai195; Jun 17, 2004 at 05:33 PM. )

Zoom_zoom  (op)
Senior User
Jun 18, 2004, 09:00 AM

That's always been my worst nightmare.

1) I would go and talk to the professor one on one. Be super nice, and tell him the truth, and don't be too wordy about it. Beg if you must (it was your mistake) and feel free to make up a sob story if you must.
I told the lecturer the truth, and she was nothing but sympathetic, however, it is not up to her, she (and the association) told me it was the university laws that i would have to fail it!

Originally posted by by gorickey:
$$$ buys anything...especially a makeup exam with a Professor...
Damn my lack of funds...

I had time to go to a doctors and get a certificate, (as i was slightly ill) but i thought the honesty system would work.. however it didn't.
I don't get to redo the subject (as they are dropping it from the nursing course) however i must do another drug related subject, which isn't too bad, as i will have even more knowledge

http://www.paul.fuary.com.au
"You hate people!" "But I love gatherings, isn't it ironic"

paully dub
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2004, 09:04 AM

Forgetfulness is a frightening quality in the nursing world.

Smoke less chiba...

Adopt-A-Yankee

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 18, 2004, 09:08 AM

I would still go get a doctors slip. Play their game... Even if it's a week old, get a slip and show it to them.

I would have gone the lie route with a female professor (I'm not trying to be sexist, I just feel female professors stick to "the rules" more so then male teachers) or a professor that I didn't know or like/respect as many are there just to push along their career.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2004, 10:13 AM

Slept thru my Astronomy final (yes... astronomy) my sophomore year of college. Prof gave me an incomplete. Was too embarrassed to go to him and beg forgivness so I retook the class my senior year (it was an elective) to wipe the incomplete off my record. Wasn't to bad. I was mostly drunk my sophomore year, and remembered little of my astronomy class...

Favorite one was my Calculus class my freshman year. Once again... I was mostly drunk my freshman year (anyone think that there is an alarming trend here?) and wasn't doing spectacular in Calc. Had a student teacher from India. Took the class weeks to translate what the bastard was saying. Tanteta = Tan of Theta. Yate = 8. It was Horrifying. Devote a lot of time to actually studying fot the exam so as to salvage a passing grade out of the class. By the time the final rolls around, I know calc forward, backwards, and upside down. Go in take the final... and freeze. Never happened to me before or since. Just locked up. Nothing. Stared blankly at the huge test booklet. So I flip to the massive section on tracing the curve and drew a big smiley face on the X Y Grid. Handed the test in.

Hey, I was an Art Major.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

jld
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 18, 2004, 07:20 PM

I slept through half of a 2 hour quantum mechanics final. The test was at 10:00, and I woke up at 10:45. I ran all the way to class and arrived just as people were starting to leave. That made me feel better because I knew the test was only 1 hour long. About 5 minutes after I began, it was only the professor and I sitting in the classroom. He picked up his things and said he had better things to do than to sit and watch me take a test, and that he'd be in his office if I had questions. It was fun being able to stretch out and take a test all by myself.
12" AlBook • 15" Albook • G4 Cube • iSight • Original iPod • PB 100 • Newton 110 • Quicktake 100

Link
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2004, 08:48 PM

Originally posted by Rev-O:
By the time the final rolls around, I know calc forward, backwards, and upside down. Go in take the final... and freeze. Never happened to me before or since. Just locked up. Nothing. Stared blankly at the huge test booklet. So I flip to the massive section on tracing the curve and drew a big smiley face on the X Y Grid. Handed the test in.

Hey, I was an Art Major.
This sounds like something I did in front of the algebra class when I was in jr high fun stuff.
Aloha

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2004, 10:28 PM

I would still go get a doctors slip. Play their game... Even if it's a week old, get a slip and show it to them.
This may not apply, but my girlfriend was once asked by a teacher for a doctor's note to cover an absence from class. So she went to the doctor and asked for a note, and the doctor immediately got agitated and told her that it's illegal for him to request such a thing, and he gave her a pamphlet outlining the applicable laws to give to the teacher. I don't know if that is a federal thing or just a Wisconsin law, but it's something to think about.

That teacher was a jackass in general, too.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2004, 02:56 PM

That would be something I'm afraid of... hope it never happens in uni or grad.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Forum Links
Forum Rules