Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > QUIET G5 PowerMac recommendations?

QUIET G5 PowerMac recommendations?
Dr. No
Aug 17, 2004, 10:22 PM

Hey Gang!

I need your advice on my next PowerMac purchase...my G4 MDD dual 1.25 Ghz is getting on my nerves as it's too noisy for my home office and I keep reading about these "whisper quiet" G5 towers...I'd like to hear from some owners of either 2.0 or 2.5 towers (standard and upgraded video cards) on just how quiet they really are in the real world...I'm 3 hours from an Apple store, thus I can't just pop in and give a listen hence the need to post the question before I buy...

Thanks for any and all help!

D.

Gary Finley
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2004, 11:55 PM

I have a new dual 2GHz G5, and am a bit disappointed in the noise level. I think my machine is louder than the first-generation dual 2 GHz G5s were. I haven't been able to hear one of each side by side so I can't be certain. But in my own office, which is pretty quiet, my machine seems to have more fan hum than older dual-2 machines that I've heard elsewhere. The noise I'm hearing is clearly fan-motor noise from the fans in the power supply at the bottom. The local repair techs tell me that Apple increased the power output of the supply for the new series, presumably to have enough juice for the 2.5 GHz model. I suspect that they had to increase the power supply cooling as well, and that explains the difference in fan noise.

I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who's had a chance to hear new and old dual 2GHz G5s side by side, to know if my suspicions are correct.

If I'm right, as far as fan noise goes, you'd be better off with a first-generation machine.
Gary Finley
Director of Networking
Netera Alliance Inc.

Eugene Fields
Aug 18, 2004, 12:44 AM

Originally posted by Gary Finley:
I have a new dual 2GHz G5, and am a bit disappointed in the noise level. I think my machine is louder than the first-generation dual 2 GHz G5s were. I haven't been able to hear one of each side by side so I can't be certain. But in my own office, which is pretty quiet, my machine seems to have more fan hum than older dual-2 machines that I've heard elsewhere. The noise I'm hearing is clearly fan-motor noise from the fans in the power supply at the bottom. The local repair techs tell me that Apple increased the power output of the supply for the new series, presumably to have enough juice for the 2.5 GHz model. I suspect that they had to increase the power supply cooling as well, and that explains the difference in fan noise.

I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who's had a chance to hear new and old dual 2GHz G5s side by side, to know if my suspicions are correct.

If I'm right, as far as fan noise goes, you'd be better off with a first-generation machine.
Yikes my RevB 2Ghz is Way better than my first machine. Been a month, never heard a thing yet. Its at ear level, on the Desk. My first machine made a racquet. Go Figure
"Recent history is the record of a vast conspiracy to
impose one level of mechanical consciousness on mankind."
Allen Ginsberg

yfan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2004, 01:42 AM

Hard to imagine people complaining about the noise of G5's. You guys are spoiled. My dual 1.8DP is silent compared to my PC
G5 1.8 DP Rev. A
2.5gb MIXED ram(Crucial/Elixir/Kingston)
2x74 gb WD
5200 FX

bradleykavin
Aug 18, 2004, 02:28 AM

i just got a dual 1.8 and bairly hear anything besides when it starts up, and if i run a game..but even then it starts spinning faster and then stops..not to the point where it annoys me or anything..i kinda like it i fel the air on my feet..but its not loud to the point of being annoying..i love my g5
Powermac G5, Dual 1.8 8x superdrive, 250 gig startup drive 80 gig seconday drive, nvidia 6800 gt, logitech z-5500

d.fine
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2004, 03:17 AM

Dual 2.0 G5 sits right next to me on the desk, and I barely ever hear it. Sometimes the fans rev up, but thats only for like 5 seconds. Personally I think the G5's are really quite. Mine has gotten quiter since the 10.3.5 upgrade ... There is this one blower fan for the rear of the MB that can make a lot of noise, but since the last OS update it doesn't rev up like it used to.

This G5 sits 30 cm from my head on the desk, how many PC users can say that the machine noise can't be heard ?

edit : btw it's a Rev B DP 2.0, 2GB DDR, ATI 9600 XT, 250GB, AE ... The 9600XT is fanless, so no noise there either.

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Aug 18, 2004, 03:29 AM

After hearing the dual G5s in the Apple Store, they make my dual 800 G4 sound like a vacuum. You pretty much can't hear them unless you put your ear next to them (thought this could have been because of noise level in the store/mall. Still, they're practically silent. Though, I have heard that they kick in under heavier processor usage�I can't imagine them getting anywhere near as noisy as my dually does.

Dr. No  (op)
Aug 18, 2004, 07:28 AM

Thanks everyone for your input....keep 'em coming if any of you are "lurking" on the sidelines.....as I type this the G4 is just HUMMING along, pushing me into my next purchase!

D.

P.S. Would you all recommend staying with the standard video card or is the 9800 still reasonably quiet?

d.fine
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2004, 08:23 AM

I've heard/read that it is reasonably quite, but do know that you lose the ability to use 1 of the PCI slots. The 9800 comes with fan+heatsink and they block the first PCI slot ...

Here is a thread with pics of the 9800

rhogue islander
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 18, 2004, 09:04 AM

I find my Rev A Dual 2.0 very quiet.

I recommend getting one with an FX5200 or 9600 pro graphics card (9600 if you're into games at all -it is much faster) as both have passive cooling solutions.

You should also put it on the floor, carpeted if possible, as this will dampen noise from the power supply.

Consider purchasing one from an Apple Store. When I bought mine from the Salem, NH Apple Store, it came with a 30 day return policy, which is unusual for Apple. This way you can return it if you are unhappy. Call to confirm that this policy still exists.

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2004, 09:40 AM

I've got a G5 1.6 and while you can definitely hear some level of fan motor whir, there is absolutely no wind noise.

On the other hand, we did get a few Optiplex 170Ls for work; now talk about a quiet machine... I never thought that a PC could actually be that silent.

Cheers.
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

Dr. No  (op)
Aug 18, 2004, 10:45 AM

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the info and useful tips...I do have my G4 on the floor (carpeted) and left of the desk to block the sound and I can still hear the baby cranking away...you'd think all those years of Black Sabbath and Aerosmith would have killed my hearing by now, but nooooooooo...

I'll check back later.

D.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Aug 18, 2004, 10:45 AM

From here.

For those of you with rev. B dual G5 2.0 machines... If you're interested, open up the Terminal and type:

ioreg -l | grep cpu-version

If you have the older higher power chips you'll get "00390202". If you have the new lower power chips you'll get "003c0300". It'd be interesting to see if loudness correlates with CPU type.

Eugene Fields
Aug 18, 2004, 10:55 AM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
From here.

For those of you with rev. B dual G5 2.0 machines... If you're interested, open up the Terminal and type:

If you have the older higher power chips you'll get "00390202". If you have the new lower power chips you'll get "003c0300". It'd be interesting to see if loudness correlates with CPU type.
Well Im not sure

| | | "cpu-version" = <00390202>
| | | "cpu-version" = <00390202>

If that number info is correct I was told all from June Foward have the newer Chips, mine was bult in July It is dead silent with One heatsink cover?
Allen Ginsberg

d.fine
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2004, 11:13 AM

From here.

| | | "cpu-version" = <003c0300>

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Aug 18, 2004, 11:17 AM

Originally posted by d.fine:
When did you get yours, August? What is your manufacture date? The reports of 003c0300 so far seem to be from machines received in the last few weeks (with the 00390202 machines being just a few weeks older).

Not that it really matters though, since Eugene says his 00390202 is very quiet, and the 970 and 970FX are identical in speed clock-for-clock.

d.fine
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2004, 11:18 AM

When did you get yours, August? What is your manufacture date? The reports of 003c0300 so far seem to be from machines received in the last few weeks (with the 00390202 machines a few weeks older).
I ordered July 1st, but didn't get it until the first week of August ...

Where can I check manufacture date ?

Eugene Fields
Aug 18, 2004, 11:32 AM

I ordered July 1st, but didn't get it until the first week of August ...

I'd like to think I have new Chipset too!

From 'ClearView F1' who has finally nailed down the Info...

"It was important that I find this out for additional purchases of the Dual 2.0 (Rev B) I have now. Without mentioning names or departments, I will say, after speaking to the "proper people" at IBM and Apple, that all of the NEW June G5's (1.8 & 2.0) do in fact include IBM's new "FX" 90 nm chip! I know there has been a lot of posts and debate with all kinds of speculation regarding this issue. However, both the 970 and 970FX chip measure out at the IDENTICAL package size. So, even a visual inspection would prove fruitless for identification."

So what do we make of this report from Clearview. It would make sense that all RevB units have the same chip?
Allen Ginsberg

d.fine
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2004, 11:36 AM

It should. But most likely Apple sent the Rev B 130nm's until they had none left, and then started shipping out the 90nm's, which probably started production in June (as mentioned in statement). So it could be a matter of location, and what the local Apple representative had in stock ... I know mine was assembled in Ireland ... They probably had a small stock so they got 90nm's pretty fast (just speculating), and maybe that's why I had to wait so long to get mine, a fresh just produced 90nm all the way from CA ...
( Last edited by d.fine; Aug 18, 2004 at 11:41 AM. )

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Aug 18, 2004, 11:46 AM

Originally posted by Eugene Fields:
I'd like to think I have new Chipset too!

From 'ClearView F1' who has finally nailed down the Info...

"It was important that I find this out for additional purchases of the Dual 2.0 (Rev B) I have now. Without mentioning names or departments, I will say, after speaking to the "proper people" at IBM and Apple, that all of the NEW June G5's (1.8 & 2.0) do in fact include IBM's new "FX" 90 nm chip! I know there has been a lot of posts and debate with all kinds of speculation regarding this issue. However, both the 970 and 970FX chip measure out at the IDENTICAL package size. So, even a visual inspection would prove fruitless for identification."

So what do we make of this report from Clearview. It would make sense that all RevB units have the same chip?
Well, that seems incorrect. It's quite clear that your CPU ID is different from d.fine's and we already know the 0039202 is the older chip. I had a friend of mine with the rev. A G5 check, and he also has 0039202. OTOH, all the 2.5 GHz chips are 003c0300.

Who is Clearview F1 by the way?

I dunno. Isn't it inside the cover, on the case near the bottom? If not, how about the back? Eugene might know, since he said his was manufactured in July.

Eugene Fields
Aug 18, 2004, 11:55 AM

Well, that seems incorrect. It's quite clear that your CPU ID is different from d.fine's and we already know the 0039202 is the older chip. I had a friend of mine with the rev. A G5 check, and he also has 0039202. OTOH, all the 2.5 GHz chips are 003c0300.

I dunno. Isn't it inside the cover, on the case near the bottom? If not, how about the back? Eugene might know, since he said his was manufactured in July.
ClearView Is just a User at Apple's forums I read..

http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html

uses your serial number to give you the info!!

Sob I sure would like to think I had the latest Tech... Oh well if you know for sure I guess I have the Old Goods? Mine was built for me, it was a replacement machine ( I had Noise Issues).. I thought I had the new chips because the Heatsink Cover is the new model and it s so quiet. Maybe its the New MB that has made the difference. If I have the Old chips its a blow. But at least I have a quiet one...
Allen Ginsberg

Eugene Fields
Aug 18, 2004, 11:58 AM

Model: Mxxxx PowerMac G5 2.0GHz DP Generation=2
Factory: G8
Production year: 2004
Production week: 29 (July)
Production number: 1201 (within this week)
Allen Ginsberg

d.fine
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2004, 01:07 PM

Factory: CK (Cork, Ireland)
Production week: 31 (August)
Production number: 23488 (within this week)

Eugene Fields
Aug 18, 2004, 01:38 PM

Factory: CK (Cork, Ireland)
Production week: 31 (August)
Production number: 23488 (within this week)
So we may be getting wrong production data? I gather?
Allen Ginsberg

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Aug 18, 2004, 02:18 PM

It seems like it's accurate, or at least close to accurate. d.fine's machine has the new CPU, and it was produced two weeks after yours (which has the old CPU).

FWIW, I got my TiBook December 2002:

Model: Mxxxx PowerBook G4 1.0GHz 15 inch Drive=SuperDrive
Bus speed: 133MHz
Factory: QT (Taiwan)
Production year: 2002
Production week: 46 (November)
Production number: 1345 (within this week)

Where is the G5 Power Mac serial number BTW?

d.fine
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2004, 02:48 PM

Looks pretty correct to me.

G5 serial number can be found by taking off the Al lid, where the PSU is located near the bottom there is a long grey sticker. Everything you need to know about the G5 seems to be there, serial number as well as BTO options ...

I did notice that the production numbers are very different. Mine is very large (23,488) which might indicate a big production launch of the new Rev B's, while Eugene Fields' number is much lower (1201) which could be indicate that they were making the last 130nm G5's ... just speculation

add : this is what I get from AluPB 1.25 GHz I got in march 2004 :

| | | "cpu-version" = <80020101>

Model: Mxxxx PowerBook G4 1.25GHz 15 inch name=Aluminium
Bus speed: 167MHz
Factory: V7
Production week: 03 (January)
Production number: 10687 (within this week)
( Last edited by d.fine; Aug 19, 2004 at 02:50 PM. )

Al G
Forum Regular
Aug 18, 2004, 05:05 PM

My guess--and this is just a guess--is that Apple switched to 90nm processors sometime around mid-July. Part of the reason for this guess is it seems to coincide with the onset of delays in getting the 1.8 and 2.0 machines.

Eugene Fields
Aug 18, 2004, 05:13 PM

It seems like it's accurate, or at least close to accurate. d.fine's machine has the new CPU, and it was produced two weeks after yours (which has the old CPU).

FWIW, I got my TiBook December 2002:

Model: Mxxxx PowerBook G4 1.0GHz 15 inch Drive=SuperDrive
Bus speed: 133MHz
Factory: QT (Taiwan)
Production year: 2002
Production week: 46 (November)
Production number: 1345 (within this week)

Where is the G5 Power Mac serial number BTW?

Copy that serial from System Profiler..:-)
Allen Ginsberg

DarylF2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2004, 05:55 PM

My brand-new Dual 2.5 GHz G5 is nearly quiet. It does rev up a bit when doing very CPU-intensive tasks (like creating a 4GB StuffIt archive), but is still very quite.

At its loudest, the Dual 2.5 GHz G5 still quieter than my 3.0 Ghz Dell XPS is when idling...
Dual 2.5GHz G5, 2.0GB RAM, 250+300 SATA HDDs and 200+160GB Firewire HDDs, Radeon 9800XT, Bluetooth.

Mafia
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2004, 09:17 PM

lots say its loud, but my dp g5 is probably the quietest computer i've ever owned...besides my powerbook (heh) i mean i have it 2 feet from my head and i occasionally notice the noise.

mafia
http://www.mafia-designs.com

d.fine
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2004, 03:04 AM

Originally posted by Al G:
My guess--and this is just a guess--is that Apple switched to 90nm processors sometime around mid-July. Part of the reason for this guess is it seems to coincide with the onset of delays in getting the 1.8 and 2.0 machines.
Yes ! That seems very plausible ! Maybe it is related to the production numbers on the G5's ...

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Aug 19, 2004, 09:26 AM

Yes ! That seems very plausible ! Maybe it is related to the production numbers on the G5's ...
I thought the production numbers were reset every production week, no?

ie. Production number 2200 in week 30 is later than production number 3132 in week 29.

d.fine
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2004, 10:16 AM

I thought the production numbers were reset every production week, no?

ie. Production number 2200 in week 30 is later than production number 3132 in week 29.
Agreed, but I was going on the number difference between the 2 Mac's, one was Prod# 1.201 and the other Prod# 23.488 , which I interpreted as a huge increase in production in week 31, as opposed to the lower number of week 29.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Aug 19, 2004, 10:31 AM

Agreed, but I was going on the number difference between the 2 Mac's, one was Prod# 1.201 and the other Prod# 23.488 , which I interpreted as a huge increase in production in week 31, as opposed to the lower number of week 29.
We'd have no idea how many were produced in week 29 vs. week 31. That could be 23488 out of 23500, vs. 1201 out of 22000.

d.fine
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2004, 11:03 AM

We'd have no idea how many were produced in week 29 vs. week 31. That could be 23488 out of 23500, vs. 1201 out of 22000.
I knew that was coming, but you're right

Eugene Fields
Aug 19, 2004, 11:19 AM

I knew that was coming, but you're right
Well Im committed to being happy. I have a New Quiet machine and have to believe I have been guilded to have this unit. I have no issues its hard to complain...LOL

Kids... Its a Blow, LOL , I don't figure I'll ever recover...

ahh that feels better.. I wish, I wish, hehe, Hmmm, sure I have the new chips, Sure I do!!! Self Delusion, The Great Human Pastime, Ahhh, that Feels So Much Better.

( Last edited by Eugene Fields; Aug 19, 2004 at 11:31 AM. )
Allen Ginsberg

Forum Links
Forum Rules