Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G5 2.5 quirks

G5 2.5 quirks
VukOnCrack
Aug 23, 2004, 11:26 PM

Thought I'd start a thread about what quirks people are noticing with their new 2.5s. Here's what I've got: dual 2.5, 2.5GB ram, AE, ATI 9700XT, new 20" Cinema display. Everything below was noticed before ram or AE installed and after successfully passing the hardware test diagnostics.

"Ripple Effect"

Per this thread: http://g5support.com/group/viewtopic...er=asc&start=0

When scrolling through web pages, pdfs in Preview, and finder windows, one can notics a rippling like discrete sine wave moving across the screen bumping small sections of the image/text/whatever up and down.

"Fan Revving"

The fans in machine tend to rev up now and again for no reason. There's a "big" rev which is less frequent and a "small" rev. The small rev is acually more annoying as it sounds like a "purring" or rapid glissando up and down in pitch right in the register of the human voice: your eyes pick up on it quite readily.

"Constant fan"

There's some constant fan noise coming out of my machine, seemingly from the drive bay. I assume that the Maxtor 160GB drive has its own fan which is usually nthe loudest part of the system and the most constant source of noise.

Overall I'm happy with the system. However I'd like to see what experiences other are having.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 24, 2004, 02:10 AM

I'm so glad you pointed this site out and mentioned the scrolling distortion. I posted a thread about it without knowing what to call the issue, and didn't get any replies; I guess no one knew what I was talking about.

DP 2.0/9800XT

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Eugene Fields
Aug 24, 2004, 06:49 AM

Originally posted by VukOnCrack:
Thought I'd start a thread about what quirks people are noticing with their new 2.5s. Here's what I've got: dual 2.5, 2.5GB ram, AE, ATI 9700XT, new 20" Cinema display. Everything below was noticed before ram or AE installed and after successfully passing the hardware test diagnostics.

"Ripple Effect"

Per this thread: http://g5support.com/group/viewtopic...er=asc&start=0

When scrolling through web pages, pdfs in Preview, and finder windows, one can notics a rippling like discrete sine wave moving across the screen bumping small sections of the image/text/whatever up and down.

"Fan Revving"

The fans in machine tend to rev up now and again for no reason. There's a "big" rev which is less frequent and a "small" rev. The small rev is acually more annoying as it sounds like a "purring" or rapid glissando up and down in pitch right in the register of the human voice: your eyes pick up on it quite readily.

"Constant fan"

There's some constant fan noise coming out of my machine, seemingly from the drive bay. I assume that the Maxtor 160GB drive has its own fan which is usually nthe loudest part of the system and the most constant source of noise.

Overall I'm happy with the system. However I'd like to see what experiences other are having.
Im on a Dual 2 RevB qith NONE of that..Totally quiet
"Recent history is the record of a vast conspiracy to
impose one level of mechanical consciousness on mankind."
Allen Ginsberg

VukOnCrack  (op)
Aug 24, 2004, 07:18 AM

Originally posted by Eugene Fields:
Im on a Dual 2 RevB qith NONE of that..Totally quiet
Can you post your specs (video card and hard drive models). So far it seems only ATI video cards are effected.

Eugene Fields
Aug 24, 2004, 08:12 AM

Can you post your specs (video card and hard drive models). So far it seems only ATI video cards are effected.
9800XT and 2/160 Drives One Seagate, the other Maxtor, WIth the Old Chips, Built in July

Model: Mxxxx PowerMac G5 2.0GHz DP Generation=2
Factory: G8
Production year: 2004
Production week: 29 (July 12)
Production number: 1201 (within this week)

ioreg -l | grep cpu-version
| | | "cpu-version" = <00390202>
| | | "cpu-version" = <00390202>

( Last edited by Eugene Fields; Aug 24, 2004 at 10:24 PM. )
Allen Ginsberg

videian28
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2004, 09:39 AM

my 2.5 has some similar noise issues, none of the ripple effect

the hard drive fan is the loudest point in the system by far, and does not come on often, but when it does it is loud, strangely enough it seems application dependant...it won't come on all night but when I load up seti@home (a cpu dependant app, not hard drive) the hard drive fan is on and off constantly like every 20 seconds....it will spin all the way up and back off constantly.

the cpu fans come on every so often depending on what I am doing..not often at all and are not nearly as loud as the hard drive fan.. there is definatly an issue

I will definatly be calling apple about the hard drive fan

VukOnCrack  (op)
Aug 24, 2004, 07:43 PM

I have a dual 1.8 (rev. A) at work which is quieter than my new dual 2.5 by far. The hard drive manufacturer in the 1.8 is Seagate as oppossed to Maxtor. Wonder if this could be the difference.

I am holding off contacting Apple right now since I no longer have my old computer and cannot afford any downtime. I'm not at the point to call it a malfunction (other than the ripple). Hmmm....

fiesta cat
Forum Regular
Aug 25, 2004, 01:38 PM

I have a dual 1.8 (rev. A) at work which is quieter than my new dual 2.5 by far. The hard drive manufacturer in the 1.8 is Seagate as oppossed to Maxtor. Wonder if this could be the difference.
Considering the location of the drive, it's hard to believe that would be it. Maxtor has some really quiet drives as well (not sure if yours is one of them).

Unless your talking about the HDD fans coming on like videian28 was talking about. If your drive is running hotter, then yeah, it's going to generate more noise (because of the fans), but I am not sure that these days, SATA drives are going to have a large enough variance in temperatures to cause this.

Pretty weird.
www.macgenealogy.org - Genealogy on the Mac

VukOnCrack  (op)
Aug 25, 2004, 02:18 PM

Just checked a dual 1.25 G4 running 10.3.4 with a 17" Studio Display and some flavour of ATI graphics. The ripple effect happens on this machine as well so it's definitely ATI hardware related.

As for my G5, last night I was getting a constant rev and "purr" about once every minute. I restarted the machine after only 3 days uptime and all seemed better. Strange. I was only reading some text-based web pages at the time, nothing taxing at all.

blakespot
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2004, 03:51 PM

As for my G5, last night I was getting a constant rev and "purr" about once every minute. I restarted the machine after only 3 days uptime and all seemed better. Strange. I was only reading some text-based web pages at the time, nothing taxing at all.

What does "nothing taxing" mean to you? I had an AMD 5x86 160MHz CPU in a PC I built back in '97. One day Windows 95 started to crash (more than normal). Would only be up a few minutes then BSOD. The machine could boot into DOS and play DOOM II or HERETIC for hours - no prob. But just loading Windows 95 brought it down.

Windows 95 sitting "idle" was pushing the CPU harder than DOOM II and HERETIC were. The problem was a dead CPU fan, but only under the load of Windows 95 just sitting there did the heat get to such a point that the machine would lock.

Point: Just being "up" puts a CPU through a healthy workout on modern OS's.

blakespot
iPodHacks.com -- http://www.ipodhacks.com

Yellamo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2004, 04:18 PM

I have a stock G5 that I walked out of the Apple Store.

The main problem I have had is the 'revving' of the fan followed immediately by the computer going to sleep.

The first thing that comes to mind is that the chips are over-heating causing sleep mode to cool things down.

This has occured while switching between apps, and very often while playing EQ

Anyone else have this problem?

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2004, 08:57 PM

Originally posted by blakespot:
What does "nothing taxing" mean to you? I had an AMD 5x86 160MHz CPU in a PC I built back in '97. One day Windows 95 started to crash (more than normal). Would only be up a few minutes then BSOD. The machine could boot into DOS and play DOOM II or HERETIC for hours - no prob. But just loading Windows 95 brought it down.

Windows 95 sitting "idle" was pushing the CPU harder than DOOM II and HERETIC were. The problem was a dead CPU fan, but only under the load of Windows 95 just sitting there did the heat get to such a point that the machine would lock.

Point: Just being "up" puts a CPU through a healthy workout on modern OS's.

blakespot
That's really not true with OS X. Quit all your apps, open a terminal window, and run top. use the -u tag to sort by % of usage, and use the -s tag to set it to a reasonable refresh rate (so that top itself doesn't tax the cpu) like 5 secs and watch for a little while. (top -u -s5) You'll rarely see any OS related processes jump up more that 1 or 2 percent while the machine is sitting idle. OS X gets out of the way pretty well, actually. A dual G5 should pretty well just idle fan-wise with nothing up but the OS and one user account open.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

DarylF2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2004, 06:51 PM

I have a Dual 2.5GHz G5 and haven't experienced any of those problems (neither the "ripple effect" nor the "fan revving" nor the "constant fan" issue). My system is pretty much silent unless I'm doing something VERY CPU intensive (like a huge compression job, heavy Photoshop CS work, or gaming).

My system configuration:
  • Dual 2.5GHz Power Mac G5
  • 2.0GB RAM (2x512MB from Apple, 2x512MB from Crucial.com)
  • ATI Radeon 9800XT with 256MB VRAM (from Apple)
  • Maxtor 6B300S0 SATA drive (300GB, 7200RPM, 16MB cache); boot disk
  • Maxtor 7Y250M0 SATA drive (250GB, 7200RPM, 8MB cache) (from Apple)
  • 8x SuperDrive (from Apple)
  • Bluetooth module (from Apple)
  • Dell 2000FP 20" LCD display (using a Dr. Botts ACD-DVI adapter)
  • Dell 1600HS (D1626HT) 21" CRT dispplay (using Apple's supplied DVI-VGA converter)
I also have three external Firewire drives (a 200GB WD drive, a 160GB WD drive, and a Plextor PX-712A DVD�RW drive), but these are normally powered off (except for the DVD�RW drive).

The G4 came with 10.3.4 from Apple, but I almost immediately upgraded it to 10.3.5 via Software Update.

I ordered at 6:36AM PST on 6/9/2004 and received my system on 8/12/2004.
Dual 2.5GHz G5, 2.0GB RAM, 250+300 SATA HDDs and 200+160GB Firewire HDDs, Radeon 9800XT, Bluetooth.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2004, 09:32 AM

"Fan Revving"

"Constant fan"

A couple of things to consider...

First, the fan revving may be normal. My machine (a first generation Dual 2.0 GHz) revs the fans every now and then as well, depending on what I am doing. It tends to happen a lot when I am on Safari and start Ircle up. I have not bothered to check CPU usage to see which app is hogging the system. Even though it may seem that it is happening for "no reason," there may be something causing it. The next time it happens for "no reason," check to see if something is hogging the CPUs.

The "constant fan" over the hard drive might be due to the fact that many of the initial G5s were having their hard drives fail after about 6 months because of heat issues... see the page on G5 hard drive failues on xlr8yourmac. I would rather have the hard drive fan on constantly than have the hard drive fail because the fan didn't come on enough.

SoftwareJuggler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2004, 06:33 PM

Originally posted by DarylF2:
I have a Dual 2.5GHz G5 and haven't experienced any of those problems (neither the "ripple effect" nor the "fan revving" nor the "constant fan" issue). My system is pretty much silent unless I'm doing something VERY CPU intensive (like a huge compression job, heavy

I too have not experienced these probelms with my Dual 2.5 G5 yet. But that is probably due to it's absence, it has been delayed yet again grrrr.... Maybe I'll get it next week, maybe I'll get it next month .... sigh .... Oh to be having fan noise ....

notmudojo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2004, 07:20 PM

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced problems with headphones/internal speaker volume and keyboard volume keys. I'm using a stock dual 1.8 GHz G5 from the new series, 10.3.5, stock keyboard, and the problem can be reproduced with any working pair of headphones and is not tied to an individual application.

If I boot w/o headphones or any other external audio i/o devices the keyboard and menu bar volume controls correctly adjust the internal speaker volume. After I connect headphones at the front jack, using the keyboard volume keys indicates a change in volume by the bezel window but the volume of the headphones does not change accordingly. The menu bar control continues to work and doesn't reflect the changes made by the keyboard volume controls. Everything works fine after the headphones are disconnected and the same behavior is exhibited if they are reconnected.

arekkusu
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 28, 2004, 05:58 AM

This is the ATI drivers failing to VBL sync some screen updates. It's not a new problem.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2004, 06:03 PM

Originally posted by arekkusu:
This is the ATI drivers failing to VBL sync some screen updates. It's not a new problem.
Is it one we can expect a fix for within the next year?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Macanoid
Senior User
Aug 31, 2004, 07:21 PM

the fan revving annoys the hell out of me. Also, I can't do anything unless I run the processor at reduced speed. Otherwise the fan will switch on big time an my Mac will sound like a jet-engine taking off.

All in all not pleased!!!!!!

Eugene Fields
Aug 31, 2004, 10:47 PM

Originally posted by Macanoid:
the fan revving annoys the hell out of me. Also, I can't do anything unless I run the processor at reduced speed. Otherwise the fan will switch on big time an my Mac will sound like a jet-engine taking off.

Man I can't believe I hear this!! Im So greatful I have the RevB 2Ghz. Have not heard a Fan Yet!
Allen Ginsberg

DarylF2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2004, 11:20 AM

Hmmm... I do NOT see/hear this behavior with my Dual 2.5 GHz G5, even though I've added an addition 1.0GB RAM (2.0GB total) and a second HDD (300GB Maxtor 7200RPM). I've call Apple and see if they have any ideas...

As a first step, I'd install the 10.3.5 Combined Updater (from here, not the version from Software Update) and see if this helps.
Dual 2.5GHz G5, 2.0GB RAM, 250+300 SATA HDDs and 200+160GB Firewire HDDs, Radeon 9800XT, Bluetooth.

Macanoid
Senior User
Sep 1, 2004, 12:42 PM

thanks for that link - will try the combo updater.

Just called apple and got two other options : firmware update and fan control update. Will try those too. If that doesn't work it's back to apple for repair!!

Macanoid
Senior User
Sep 1, 2004, 02:26 PM

Update: well the apple suggested updates don't even install, thanks very much apple.

The combo-updater had some effect in that my machine is way more quiet but I still have to run at reduced speed to make it silent If I run it at automatic the main fan comes on every 30 secs even though I'm just surfing the net. Fear to think what's happen if I start using cpu-intensive apps!! Guess I'll have to call apple again
( Last edited by Macanoid; Sep 1, 2004 at 04:18 PM. )

arekkusu
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 1, 2004, 05:30 PM

Originally posted by Big Mac:
Is it one we can expect a fix for within the next year?
Maybe if you and 99,999 of your friends go log bugs about it.

buells1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2004, 04:17 AM

Thought I'd start a thread about what quirks people are noticing with their new 2.5s. Here's what I've got: dual 2.5, 2.5GB ram, AE, ATI 9700XT, new 20" Cinema display.
r up and down.

Try what worked for me. Boot TechTool Pro 4 from the cd drive by holding down the 'c' key. I takes a LONG time to boot, so be patient. Run 'suite 2' and I bet you that it corrects your problems.
I have an iMac 24" 3.06 ghz.core duo Visit
my page at: http://www.angelfire.com/moon2/kenny_brett

blakespot
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 3, 2004, 07:20 AM

Update: well the apple suggested updates don't even install, thanks very much apple.

The combo-updater had some effect in that my machine is way more quiet but I still have to run at reduced speed to make it silent If I run it at automatic the main fan comes on every 30 secs even though I'm just surfing the net. Fear to think what's happen if I start using cpu-intensive apps!! Guess I'll have to call apple again
And you have an expectation of silence for your 2.5GHz G5 because...why?

blakespot
iPodHacks.com -- http://www.ipodhacks.com

onemilehigh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2004, 12:16 PM

Just got my new G5 2.5 yesterday. It has a fan problem. The fan noise (coming from the top, front and back side of the unit) is extremely loud and in my case, it NEVER goes off. I called Apple customer care this morning (spoke to a kind lady in India) and Apple admitted they are having trouble with some of the power supplies. I am taking mine to CompUSA to have the Power supply replaced. I have bought about every computer Apple has made over the years, and this is the noisiest computer I've ever had!

I see reports of others saying the fan only comes on occasionally. I hope this will be the case once mine is repaired.

-Scott

------------------------
"Fan Revving"

"Constant fan"

Overall I'm happy with the system. However I'd like to see what experiences other are having. [/B][/QUOTE]

Macanoid
Senior User
Sep 3, 2004, 12:26 PM

Originally posted by blakespot:
And you have an expectation of silence for your 2.5GHz G5 because...why?
Sorry, but are you serious? I accept the machine not being totally silent but what I have is totally unacceptable. Running a powerful machine in 'reduced speed' mode only to prevent if from sounding like a jet plane taking off even when all I do is surfing the web. It may be fine with you, but not with me!!

power142
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 3, 2004, 01:56 PM

Have you used a dual processor Opteron/Xeon workstation lately? These almost *always* sound like you're on a 747 with the windows open. This is the segment of the market that the G5 is targeted, no doubt they face the same challenges.

I have high hopes for my dual 2.5, but my experience with a dual 2.0 doesn't lead me to think that it will be silent by any stretch of the imagination! If I wanted it to be silent, I would have bought an iMac.

Macanoid
Senior User
Sep 3, 2004, 03:08 PM

True - I don't expect iMac silence but constant fan revving when the machine does nothing or setting the mac to automatic speed and all the fans come on big time because I load a web page - hmmm. That to mee doesn't sound normal.

Link
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2004, 04:11 PM

That 'constant fan noise' near the hard drive is the blower which sucks hot air out from the system controller.
Aloha

power142
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 3, 2004, 07:40 PM

True - I don't expect iMac silence but constant fan revving when the machine does nothing or setting the mac to automatic speed and all the fans come on big time because I load a web page - hmmm. That to mee doesn't sound normal.
Macanoid: I just re-read my previous reply and I apologise if I was a little curt before. It was unintentional.

Maybe there are still a few tweaks Apple will make in the (near?) future to enhance the behavior of the fans, but even so, the dual 2.0 isn't quiet, and it isn't any more intrusive than the dual G4 (albeit 1.42). Not sure whether we'll see the 2.5 settle, but from experience, most G4 units I've seen over the past couple of years haven't proven comparable to an iMac, but way quieter than a dual Intel/AMD box. Noise is such a subjective thing.

I still prefer a Powerbook for silence

Al G
Forum Regular
Sep 5, 2004, 02:09 PM

When Apple touts their quiet G5 cooling system as a selling point, then yes, I expect them to be quiet. Maybe not silent but quiet. Apple says their nine fans aren't so much for adequate cooling but rather for adequate cooling without excessive noise. Likewise, the liquid cooling in the 2.5s isn't because they can't cool the 2.5s with air, but because they can't cool them with air quietly.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 11, 2004, 07:04 AM

Originally posted by power142:
Have you used a dual processor Opteron/Xeon workstation lately? These almost *always* sound like you're on a 747 with the windows open. This is the segment of the market that the G5 is targeted, no doubt they face the same challenges.

I have high hopes for my dual 2.5, but my experience with a dual 2.0 doesn't lead me to think that it will be silent by any stretch of the imagination! If I wanted it to be silent, I would have bought an iMac.
My DP 2.0 (Rev B 970) is very quiet. I very rarely hear the fans speed up, and when they do they're only on for a very short amount of time. If you're hearing a lot of noise from your G5, make sure it is not in an enclosed space.

innerimager
Forum Regular
Sep 12, 2004, 07:46 PM

several times in the first days of use. In the middle of some photo processing task, (but same as when it doesn't happen) my dual 2.5 just goes to sleep with a rush of the fan. It comes right back immediately when I waken it.
Config- all stock plus 6 516mb crucial ram chips (total 3.5 in machine) and additional 160MB Seagate drive internally. Anyone else seeing this?...Peter

WinTroll
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2004, 01:43 AM

Excellent reply!

The fans are put into the G5's for a reason. Not to just look pretty. Everyone wants a faster machine, and faster machines generate heat, and fans reduce the heat. Simple equation. You are NEVER going to get away from this growing problem until the CPU manufacturers come up with another way to make CPU's (not likely at the moment).

Still think there will be a G5 Powerbook anytime before 2006? Yeah...

Calling Apple everytime your fans turn on is laughable folks. If your fans are sitting there full blast, go to a terminal session and run "top -u" and see what the CPU load is and what is driving the CPU. Don't just say "I was only loading a web page". You might find another process that you weren't even aware of is driving the CPU. At least you can rule it out if you don't find anything.

Guess what? For now, and for the immediate future, powerful computers (MAC or PC) are going to generate lots of heat, which in turn requires lots of cooling devices (generally fans as it stands today), which in turn will make more and more noise. Get used to it. It is only going to get worse until a dramatic technological discovery is made in the fundamental method of CPU manufacturing or device cooling. Is it hopeless? No.

Odd, most PC's don't need a hard drive fan, per se. So why does the PowerMac G5 need one? They are using the same hard drives. Most users in this forum are in agreement that the hard drive fan is the loudest and most annoying. Can anyone clarify this more?

WinTroll
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2004, 01:46 AM

Originally posted by Al G:
When Apple touts their quiet G5 cooling system as a selling point, then yes, I expect them to be quiet. Maybe not silent but quiet. Apple says their nine fans aren't so much for adequate cooling but rather for adequate cooling without excessive noise. Likewise, the liquid cooling in the 2.5s isn't because they can't cool the 2.5s with air, but because they can't cool them with air quietly.
I would have expected the dual 2.5 to be quieter than a dual 2.0 because of the liquid cooling of the CPU. Either two less fans or one fan that would have to turn at lower rpm's (i.e. slower and quieter) than if they were sitting right over the CPU.

Shuttle has something similar and that has reduced the hairdryer level of noise that came from their SFF cases.

Can anyone comment on this (dual 2.0 versus dual 2.5 - fan noise)?

Macanoid
Senior User
Sep 13, 2004, 01:48 AM

Today I'm getting my processor replaced. Apparently a batch of bad ones were shipped which caused all the noise problems. Will let you know is this improves things. Must say I'm pretty fed up by now with all the fan revving.

WinTroll
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2004, 01:52 AM

Macanoid: I just re-read my previous reply and I apologise if I was a little curt before. It was unintentional.

Maybe there are still a few tweaks Apple will make in the (near?) future to enhance the behavior of the fans, but even so, the dual 2.0 isn't quiet, and it isn't any more intrusive than the dual G4 (albeit 1.42). Not sure whether we'll see the 2.5 settle, but from experience, most G4 units I've seen over the past couple of years haven't proven comparable to an iMac, but way quieter than a dual Intel/AMD box. Noise is such a subjective thing.

Mac's are definitely quieter than PC's. No doubt.

But now that the Mac's are neck and neck with PC's in terms of CPU speed, they will begin to face the same problems as well.

The problem of cooling. The 90mm change in CPU has caused heat issues for both Intel and IBM.

Imagine having to have Air Conditioning inside the PowerMac G5 case!

How cool would that be! (pun intended)

WinTroll
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2004, 01:53 AM

Today I'm getting my processor replaced. Apparently a batch of bad ones were shipped which caused all the noise problems. Will let you know is this improves things. Must say I'm pretty fed up by now with all the fan revving.
I am curious.

How did they determine that one of the processors is bad?

Macanoid
Senior User
Sep 13, 2004, 02:19 AM

Honestly, I don't know. Called support three times and after having gone through a number of procedures to determine what might cause the problem they said the processor had to be replaced. When I asked why they told me a number of bad processors where shipped are causing the same symptoms as my machine so that must be it.

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2004, 10:23 AM

Thought I'd start a thread about what quirks people are noticing with their new 2.5s. Here's what I've got: dual 2.5, 2.5GB ram, AE, ATI 9700XT, new 20" Cinema display.
We've got two 2.5s in the office (2GB RAM, ATI 9600XT, AE) and neither one has these issues, as far as I can tell. I can't replicate the scrolling issue. Mine has an additional 160GB Seagate hard drive and I'm using the last-generation 23-inch Cinema Display and a 15-inch Apple LCD as a second monitor.

I do notice the fans revving up every so often, usually when scrolling in Safari. One of these days I'll open up Activity Monitor and see if what I suspect is true: something on the page is putting a big load on the system. It happens most on pages where there's some big dumb Flash ad. I've checked when the fans kick in on my PowerBook and Safari will be hogging 90 percent of the CPU running in the background!

The machine is not "silent" but it's SO much quieter than the dual-1.25GHz G4 it replaced.

Macanoid
Senior User
Sep 13, 2004, 10:30 AM

Well, I had my processor replaced about an hour ago. What a world of difference that makes. The machine is near silent now - and when the fan come on, it's not nearly as loud as before nor as long. Well pleased now!

WinTroll
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2004, 09:55 PM

Honestly, I don't know. Called support three times and after having gone through a number of procedures to determine what might cause the problem they said the processor had to be replaced. When I asked why they told me a number of bad processors where shipped are causing the same symptoms as my machine so that must be it.
It happens, I guess.

I wish your G5 a quick repair and safe return to you!

Eugene Fields
Sep 15, 2004, 10:14 AM

My July12 RevB Dual 2 is as quiet as a PowerBook in my home, sitting at ear level on my desk! my Rev A was a nightmare 3 Power Source replacemants...

I Never hear fans No matter what I do I must just be verrrry lucky cause my processors are pinned 24/7 since I installed it.

2GhzG5, Cube, Logitec5.1, Bluetooth; Mac OS X (10.3.x); CinemaHD23, 30gb iPod, 9800XT
Allen Ginsberg

awcopus
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2004, 06:29 PM

Noise? What noise?

http://www.norenproducts.com

I am a video editor so I'm taking a keen interest in acquiring these for my office. But I'm also thinking about using one at home, especially if I get a new G5. I've seen these products at trade shows, most recently DVExpo East. Construction is "okay", but solid enough for this kind of use.

Anyway, it's a solution.

Thomas_MacFreak
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2004, 09:52 AM

"Fan Revving"

"Constant fan"

You describe the fan revving issues I have with my Dual 2.5GHz Power Mac G5 really well. Hope Apple soon will fix this! Overall I'm also very happy with my system
Power Mac G5 Dual 2.5GHz (June 2004), 2GB ram, 570GB HD, Radeon 9600XT 128MB, OS X 10.4.5
Aluminium 20-inch Cinema Display

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 19, 2004, 03:17 PM

I have noticed that my G5 does not have the same quality of bluetooth reception that my powerbook has. I notice this with my Bluetooth mouse, which has crappy tracking on my G5, but was flawless on my Powerbook. Anyone else have experience with bluetooth mouse tracking?

Thomas_MacFreak
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2004, 03:20 PM

Have you inserted the Bluetooth antenna?
Power Mac G5 Dual 2.5GHz (June 2004), 2GB ram, 570GB HD, Radeon 9600XT 128MB, OS X 10.4.5

Thomas_MacFreak
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2004, 03:34 PM

Here is a sound sample of the very annoying fan revving (turn your volume up to hear!): http://thomas-macfreak.homeip.net/small_rev.mp3

Forum Links
Forum Rules