Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Camino 1.0!

Camino 1.0!
deminisma
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2006, 07:26 PM

Sick of Safari? Camino 1.0 is finally here, yay! Looks like a great release too, congrats to the tireless workers behind it.

http://www.caminobrowser.org

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2006, 08:24 PM

Well wow. I remember I used Navigator back in 2002. I never suspected then (was it version 0.4?) that they'd take four more years to finish it! Time flies eh. I always like this effort better than the Firefox for Mac effort, but they are both very good.

Camino is Spanish for path btw. (or I'm walking if you think of it as a verb, but a noun makes more sense, no?)

- Ironically Camino is not available in Spanish.. Portuguese, yes - but no Spanish

cheers

W-Y
( Last edited by Weyland-Yutani; Feb 14, 2006 at 08:31 PM. )

“Building Better Worlds”

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2006, 09:03 AM

I must say that I'm happy using Camino. There are certain features like the javascripts when I type in Blogger or the new Chat feature in Gmail that Safari just doesn't handle well. Now I know that it's not entirely Safari fault since these things are designed using an agent sniffer. But still, it's nice to know that I can use ONE browser that looks and acts like a Mac app should and have it work right.

cmeisenzahl
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 15, 2006, 09:19 AM

I was under-whelmed w/ earlier versions, but I'll give 1.0 a try tonight.

ism
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 15, 2006, 09:19 AM

It's grand it is.

Stecchino
Forum Regular
Feb 15, 2006, 01:52 PM

And for the record, please do NOT turn this thread into a Browser-war flame. Thanks!

Yeah, I switched recently from FireFox and really enjoy it. It launches faster, uses less CPU, and not enough can be said about it being a native Mac OS application.

I miss a couple of extensions from FireFox but the benefits outweigh the cons. The built-in adblocking is surprisingly good for most of the major ad servers and ExtrePrefs, a free download enables even more...

http://macupdate.com/info.php/id/16078

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2006, 02:18 PM

Camino is a really nice browser. It's fast, stable, and works as advertised. Having said that, it just doesn't have enough to get me to switch from Safari. Spell-checking and the ability to look up dictionary definitions with the CTRL+CMD+D are very useful features that Safari, Shiira, and OmniWeb can do that Camino can't. I also like Safari's ability to CMD+Click a folder in my bookmarks bar and open all the enclosed sites in tabs instead of selecting the Open In Tabs option. It's just faster. Camino doesn't really allow that. It does have Tab Groups to allow a single click to accomplish the same thing, but when you want to just open one of the sites you have to Click and Hold to access the bookmark. I know it's a nitpick and there's nothing inherently wrong with the Camino implementation, but I suppose I just prefer the way Safari handles it.

But overall, Camino is a great browser!

OAW

hotani
Senior User
Feb 15, 2006, 02:39 PM

I've been using Camino for a while, usually the nightly builds and just downloaded the 1.0 which looks pretty solid. Like i mentioned in another recent thread, my only gripe with every browser other than Opera is that they just can't figure out the 'single window' behavior thing ; instead of giving me a new window, open in a new tab instead.

I tend to go between three browsers (Safari Camino and Opera) pretty often, using one for a while until it does something wonky that another handles well.

Camino is good in that it will support most every site out there since it is using gecko, Safari and Opera tend to get a little cranky on some of the newer AJAX sites. But when I'm using it I miss the spellchecking of Safari and the 'single window mode' of Opera. Just can't have it all I guess.
// hōtani
MDD G4 dual 867

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2006, 03:13 PM

Well done Camino team....well done!

jasong
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2006, 03:56 PM

I agree, great job. I don't think I'll be switching myself, mainly because I have grown addicted to Safari's way of handling RSS, but still. Nice, solid release.
-- Jason

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 15, 2006, 04:21 PM

Although I'm not switching from Safari any time soon, I'm pretty impressed so far.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 16, 2006, 05:45 AM

This release of Camino is the fastest yet, and it's come a long way even since the .84 version. All the major problems (like typing in forms) I encountered in earlier versions appear to have been fixed. It's faster and IMO better looking than Safari, and I really like the way it renders text and consistently handles tabbing via the command key. I also want to support open-source software.

However, even though I'll use it frequently (like I am now), I can't switch to Camino as my primary browser until it gains RSS support. I'd also like a one-click way to email a web page (like Safari's command-I). With those additions, I think I'd switch over from Safari completely.

sray
Forum Regular
Feb 16, 2006, 08:27 AM

So far I'm loving the new release. A HUGE step up from the 0.8 days.

Btw, how do I get the Adobe Acrobat 7 reader plugin to work in Camino. I don't care for the shubert pdf viewer which does work.

hotani
Senior User
Feb 16, 2006, 10:21 PM

huh, i don't know what you guys are talking about - I have RSS functionality in Camino.
// hōtani
MDD G4 dual 867

NeXTLoop
Senior User
Feb 17, 2006, 10:34 AM

Well, I've got a new favorite browser. The last month or so I've been bouncing between FireFox and OmniWeb. Love the speed of FireFox... love the interface of OmniWeb. So far Camino is the best of both worlds.

It's still missing a couple of OS X features like Spell Check, but at least with it being an exclusive X app, those features will get added long before they ever make it into FireFox, if they get added at all.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works." - Steve Jobs

philcozz
Forum Regular
Feb 17, 2006, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by NeXTLoop
Well, I've got a new favorite browser. The last month or so I've been bouncing between FireFox and OmniWeb. Love the speed of FireFox... love the interface of OmniWeb. So far Camino is the best of both worlds.

It's still missing a couple of OS X features like Spell Check, but at least with it being an exclusive X app, those features will get added long before they ever make it into FireFox, if they get added at all.
Spell check (in-line as you type) already exists for Firefox, via the Spellbound Development extension. Works great. Plus, there are versions available that use native (i.e., just like Camino) Mac widgets.

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2006, 04:38 PM

I believe the 'native' Mac widgets you speak of aren't native at all, but instead appear to be so. Also, Camino doesn't really totally use native widgets, not like Safari does, it uses a weird mix that looks odd at times.

philcozz
Forum Regular
Feb 17, 2006, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by monkeybrain
I believe the 'native' Mac widgets you speak of aren't native at all, but instead appear to be so. Also, Camino doesn't really totally use native widgets, not like Safari does, it uses a weird mix that looks odd at times.
Whatever Camino uses, that what the special versions of Firefox use (or darn near close!). When I change my theme with Shapeshifter, the widgets change appropriately. Safari wasn't the comparison I was making; the poster referred to Camino, and so did I.

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2006, 04:50 PM

Ah, it must be a different set of widgets to the one I was thinking of, that only imitated native widgets.

To hotani: cheers, netvibes is very cool indeed!

gregpins
Forum Regular
Feb 18, 2006, 02:29 AM

Lots of nice features, but go to espn.com. Scroll.

Yikes.

Aside from basic stuff like scrolling speed, really wish we could have Camino with Firefox extensions. That would be something to behold.

midwinter
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2006, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by philcozz
Spell check (in-line as you type) already exists for Firefox, via the Spellbound Development extension. Works great. Plus, there are versions available that use native (i.e., just like Camino) Mac widgets.
Doesn't seem to install on 1.5.0.1

philcozz
Forum Regular
Feb 18, 2006, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by midwinter
Doesn't seem to install on 1.5.0.1
It will... I have it working fine on 1.5.0.1. Try restarting FF a few times... If that doesn't work, the people at the appropriate Mozillazine forum could have a better solution. Good luck!

EDIT: Oh, and make sure you have installed an appropriate dictionary. You can get that here:
http://dictionaries.mozdev.org/
( Last edited by philcozz; Feb 18, 2006 at 05:19 PM. )

NeXTLoop
Senior User
Feb 18, 2006, 06:21 PM

EDIT: Oh, and make sure you have installed an appropriate dictionary. You can get that here:
That's exactly why I'm looking forward to Camino incorporating support for OS X's native spell checking. It's a pain to have to train and maintain multiple spelling dictionaries. Especially if you're in the habit of typing words not commonly used in the English language.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works." - Steve Jobs

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Feb 18, 2006, 07:48 PM

What are the technical differences between Camino and Firefox? I stopped using Camino a while back, and while I do like Firefox, I missed Camino's slickness so now that it's at 1.0 I've reinstalled it.

I do prefer to use Safari, but I think I will keep all three on my system for the time being, especially since Safari doesn't seem to be 100% stable.

P.S. I don't use Spell Check, so that doesn't matter to me.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2006, 08:16 PM

The main difference between Camino and Firefox is that Camino doesn't support extensions.

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2006, 08:53 PM

The main difference between Camino and Firefox is that Firefox doesn't support Services.

midwinter
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2006, 12:12 AM

It will... I have it working fine on 1.5.0.1. Try restarting FF a few times... If that doesn't work, the people at the appropriate Mozillazine forum could have a better solution. Good luck!

I get an error every time I try to install it.

FranzFerdinand
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2006, 06:22 AM

Hi!

I'm a new member of this forum. Where can I ask my questions?

Thank you so much,

Frank Ferdinand

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2006, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by FranzFerdinand
Hi!

I'm a new member of this forum. Where can I ask my questions?

Thank you so much,

Frank Ferdinand
If it is related to Camino 1.0 then you can post your question right here, in a new reply.

If you want to ask a question not related to Camino, just pick the forum which is most appropriate (i.e. Software, OS X, etc) and click New Topic.

That is all.

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

philcozz
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2006, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by midwinter
I get an error every time I try to install it.
I'm not sure what to advise, as it worked for me without an issue. Here is the Mozillazine thread on Spellbound:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...ght=spellbound

Hope that helps...

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2006, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by NeXTLoop
Then I guess you are aware of CaminIcon…
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/8278

and themes to dress Camino
http://www.fiberoptikz.tk/~slowmo/Camino.html

being the OmniWeb-like theme available here:
http://www.fiberoptikz.tk/~slowmo/OmniAqua.sitx

I also like Omniweb's look, so my Camino looks like this:

Cool, huh?

n8236
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 2, 2006, 11:37 PM

I love the speed of Camino, it's off the charts compared to Firefox. But one of the biggest features i like Camino to have is Firefox's bookmark side bar and find options.

Having my bookmark bar on top is ok, but it's not as organized when vertically stacked. The find option in Camino needs to take a page from Firefox. Finding the word while being typed makes life much easier than having to type the whole thing out and press enter and what-not.

But besides those things, Camino is a great browser.

SLiMeX
Senior User
Apr 2, 2006, 11:42 PM

I recently have made the switch from PC's to Mac's. This was one of the first things I downloaded - and I love it. I am having a little rouble installing the icon sets though. I will figure it out sooner or later.

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2006, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by n8236
I love the speed of Camino, it's off the charts compared to Firefox. But one of the biggest features i like Camino to have is Firefox's bookmark side bar and find options.

Having my bookmark bar on top is ok, but it's not as organized when vertically stacked. The find option in Camino needs to take a page from Firefox. Finding the word while being typed makes life much easier than having to type the whole thing out and press enter and what-not.

But besides those things, Camino is a great browser.

Install CamiTools - that lets you turn on Imediate Type-and-find - i.e. the searching you desire
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2006, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by angelmb
Then I guess you are aware of CaminIcon…
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/8278

and themes to dress Camino
http://www.fiberoptikz.tk/~slowmo/Camino.html

being the OmniWeb-like theme available here:
http://www.fiberoptikz.tk/~slowmo/OmniAqua.sitx

I also like Omniweb's look, so my Camino looks like this:

Cool, huh?
[Yoda]Icons alone do not Omniweb make.[/Yoda]

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2006, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by SLiMeX
I am having a little rouble installing the icon sets though. I will figure it out sooner or later.
Does that happen to you with Caminicon ?

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2006, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by King Bob On The Cob
[Yoda]Icons alone do not Omniweb make.[/Yoda]
Right you are. As they say… imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

OmniWeb is really amazing, but I need the additional speed Camino gives… my dsl is slow as hell and every little help is really welcome.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2006, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by hotani
huh, i don't know what you guys are talking about - I have RSS functionality in Camino.
Whoa, I'm in love. Netvibes is the fastest, cleanest boxes-of-RSS-feeds service I've seen. Thanks.

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2006, 12:01 AM

Congradulations to the Camino team!
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 5, 2006, 12:14 AM

camino still gets an f for not allowing apple spell and pop up dictionary functions.
Computers:
Macbook Pro: 17in, 2.16Ghz, 120GB HD, 1.5 GB ram.
iBook G4: 1.07Ghz, 60GB HD, 756mb ram (on sale for parts)

zro
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2006, 01:28 AM

I swear Camino had use of the system spell check in the past... I saw it! I used it! As far back as Chimera...

Didn't I?? I am beside myself with dubiety.

Though Camino is a solid browser, lack of access to the dictionary I've built over the years is a show stopper for me.

Homer1946
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 5, 2006, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by zro
I swear Camino had use of the system spell check in the past... I saw it! I used it! As far back as Chimera...

Didn't I?? I am beside myself with dubiety.

Though Camino is a solid browser, lack of access to the dictionary I've built over the years is a show stopper for me.
Yes it did. I remember using it as well. I have been thinking I must be stupid since I can't find it now.
-R

I know I have no life and I can prove it at http://slicedapple.ath.cx/

Wevah
Senior User
Apr 6, 2006, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by onlykaria
camino still gets an f for not allowing apple spell and pop up dictionary functions.
Integration with the global spell check is not a trivial thing to implement in Gecko.

That said: see here if you want to follow the work on that feature.
[Wevah setPostCount:[Wevah postCount] + 1];

Stecchino
Forum Regular
Apr 8, 2006, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by n8236
The find option in Camino needs to take a page from Firefox. Finding the word while being typed makes life much easier than having to type the whole thing out and press enter and what-not.
In Camino by default, you may press the "/" key first and then it's find-as-you-type searching. But as it's been suggested, install CamiTools and you can set it to immediate find-as-you-type.

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2006, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Homer1946
Yes it did. I remember using it as well. I have been thinking I must be stupid since I can't find it now.
No, Camino has never had any integration with the spell checker. Check Wevah's post for more info.

Homer1946
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 8, 2006, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by monkeybrain
No, Camino has never had any integration with the spell checker. Check Wevah's post for more info.
At some point, maybe when it was Chimera, I am almost certain it did. I remember using it (Chimera or Camino) specifically BECAUSE it had that feature and when Safari came out making sure that Safari had it as well.
-R

I know I have no life and I can prove it at http://slicedapple.ath.cx/

Forum Links
Forum Rules