Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Questions about copy-protected tapes

Questions about copy-protected tapes
Buck_W
Senior User
May 16, 2006, 11:23 AM

Several years ago I purchased a leadership training seminar on VHS tape. I've used it numerous times and would like to preserve it by copying it on to my digital camera and then importing it into my computer and burning a copy on DVD. When I tried to copy it on to my camera, a copy-protected message popped up on the screen and the camera simply stopped recording. I have two questions:

1. Can I legally make a back-up copy (for myself) of a copy-protected tape?

2. If so, is there a way to circumvent the copy-protected measure on the existing VHS tape?

Thanks
17" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 320G HD | 8 GB RAM | 10.10.3

residentEvil
Professional Poster
May 16, 2006, 11:54 AM

1) yes

2) yes

But many times, threads about going around copy-protected measures are deleted (well, those deal with digital media but still...) Google for 'macrovision' as it seems your digital camera picks up on the color bursts or other 'features' of macrovision and displays the warning message; that message wouldn't be on the original VHS tape, but software in you camera that picked up on the macrovision protection.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2006, 06:39 PM

Try a VHS signal conditioner. They improve the picture.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2006, 01:30 AM

why not pop the tape into an external tape player and hook it into a tv with a tape player, pop in a blank tape into the tvs tape player and play the org tape onto the tv from the external tape player, and record it onto the blank that is in the tvs internal tape player? or would that not work ? good luck with this little chore of yours.

Buck_W  (op)
Senior User
May 17, 2006, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock
why not pop the tape into an external tape player and hook it into a tv with a tape player, pop in a blank tape into the tvs tape player and play the org tape onto the tv from the external tape player, and record it onto the blank that is in the tvs internal tape player? or would that not work ? good luck with this little chore of yours.
By "external" and "internal" tape players, are you simply referring to using two VCR's? From what I read on the web yesterday about Macrovision, I'm not sure that would work. But I do have a couple of VCR's, so I could give it a shot. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I was hoping for a solution that did not involve me having to purchase additional equipment such as some kind of image stabilizer, etc.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2006, 11:05 AM

1) If you're in the US, then yes. Some other places allow it, but some don't; you'll need to check the copyright laws where you live.

2) Yes. The devices needed for this are often called 'signal conditioners' or 'fuzz-busters', and they're purported to correct the signal errors caused by copy-protection devices such as Macrovision. They do indeed do this, but there's a side effect: it also defeats the copy-protection entirely, allowing you to make copies again. Just make sure that you connect the device between the VCR playing the tape and the VCR recording the tape.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

nerd
Senior User
May 17, 2006, 11:16 AM

Macrovision puts in a line of high video levels in the top part of the picture you can't see on a regular TV. The frame-sync in a consumer VHS can't handle this hot video. I didn't know they made DV cameras that smart but it seems they have done this. Well I guess it would be as simple thing to program, not any harder then picking up on captioning and displaying it.

So long story short, you would need to pick up on of those image stabilizers/frame synchronizer, etc.

Buck_W  (op)
Senior User
May 17, 2006, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by nerd
So long story short, you would need to pick up on of those image stabilizers/frame synchronizer, etc.
Bummer... thanks.

cpt kangarooski
Mac Elite
May 17, 2006, 11:26 AM

1. It depends. Making a copy regardless of whether there's Macrovision on the tape is prima facie illegal, but depending on the circumstances, it might be permissible. There is no general rule that allows people to make 'backup' copies of tapes, CDs, etc. It's entirely a case-by-case issue.

As for defeating Macrovision in the process, I would imagine that it doesn't fall within 1201(a), since it tends to prevent literal copying rather than to deny access (c.f. CSS which can deny access but doesn't prevent copying at all), but I do recall that one fellow was prosecuted by the DoJ for doing so, and that it was as a 1201(a) violation. He pled, though, so it's not much use to us.

2. Oh sure, it's quite easy.
--
This and all my other posts are hereby in the public domain. I am a lawyer. But I'm not your lawyer, and this isn't legal advice.

Forum Links
Forum Rules