Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Are you happy with your Mini's? Thinking of buying one.

Are you happy with your Mini's? Thinking of buying one.
Rodster
Forum Regular
Aug 2, 2006, 07:37 AM

It's the size that lures me as I have too much electronic equipment in my room. I currently have a G4 eMac 1.25ghz with 1 gig of Ram.

Hows the performance of the Mini's? I tried one at a local Apple shop running Tiger and was a little dissapointed but this goes back a year. Are the new MM Duo's faster? Or should I wait for the release of the rumored Mermom Mini's?

digiology2
Forum Regular
Aug 2, 2006, 10:15 AM

join the club, Im waiting for a while although Im not sure if the next mac mini's will have merom processors (if they do it'd be after the iMac is updated and they'd probably be clocked a bit lower than the iMac), Im guessing apple may bump up the speed to 2Ghz with the same code duo's inside.

stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 2, 2006, 10:16 AM

Stick a GB of ram in that baby. As to core duo or merom, I think you'll be waiting a while before you see a merom in there. But I love mine, I just need a GB of ram.
8GB iPhone
Coming Soon: Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz

Rodster  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 2, 2006, 10:32 AM

Stwain, what's the performance like on a Duo? I bet it runs OSX quicker than on my eMac. My purchase will probably be after 10.5 is released and the Mini roadmap is a little clearer. Any chance of us finding this out at WWDC?

stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 2, 2006, 10:41 AM

The performance is great, it only stutters when i have 6-7 programs open, but again, I need that gig!
8GB iPhone

digiology2
Forum Regular
Aug 2, 2006, 10:54 AM

it stutters with 6-7 programs open?! my dual 1Ghz G4 can handle way more than that without any problems! hmm I suppose thats not the best benchmark, Im going to guess that a core duo is faster than my current machine

stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 2, 2006, 10:58 AM

how many gigs of ram do you have?
8GB iPhone

digiology2
Forum Regular
Aug 2, 2006, 11:02 AM

just 1GB, like I said this isn't much of a benchmark

Rodster  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 2, 2006, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by stwain2003
The performance is great, it only stutters when i have 6-7 programs open, but again, I need that gig!
Stwain what do you mean by stutter? When I first tried a Mini running Tiger I first thought cool but then I played with it and walked away feeling my G4 eMac can take a Mini with no problems. I hope the Duo can out perform my eMac.

Another question came to mind what speed drives is Apple now using in the Mini's? I remember when they first came out some got lucky and recieved 7200rpm Notebook drives and others got the 5400 rpm version.

Has that changed especially with the 667mhz FSB the new minis are using.

digiology2
Forum Regular
Aug 2, 2006, 12:13 PM

holy crap! I just noticed that the macmini has a 5400 rpm hard drive! that sucks! would it be safe to upgrade this or would it raise the temperature (i dont want the fan to start coming on!)

ajprice
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2006, 12:23 PM

digiology2, an external firewire drive with the system installed on it gives a bit of a speed bump over the standard drive.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

digiology2
Forum Regular
Aug 2, 2006, 01:02 PM

yeah I realise this but I'd rather have an internal hard drive for neatness Oh well looks like to put up with it

Forum Links
Forum Rules