Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > torn! Canon (SD600, 700 or 800) vs Nikon???

torn! Canon (SD600, 700 or 800) vs Nikon???
HazelGirl
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 2, 2007, 04:06 PM

First of all, my budget right now is $400 MAX. I want a camera with at least 6MP....clear, sharp pics. Good at taking pics indoors, with low lighting as well as outdoors. A large LCD and user friendly menus are a must. Relatively thin but with great build quality. Anti-shake/vibration feature is a plus because I don;t have the steadiest hands, but it's not absolutely necessary. Good optical zoom quality is +++. Ability to do decent video is a plus because I plan to do very short interviews with language consultants. I will eventually get a camcorder but I don't think it will be any time soon. EXCELLENT battery life and dual voltage charger is a must (I travel a lot and plan to return to Europe). Must be able to support high capacity SD chips. I plan to buy a 1GB.

I've narrowed it down to the Canon SD600, SD700, or SD800 and am also looking at Nikons though I haven't narrowed down any of those yet.

Anyway, my current Nikon Coolpix 3.2MP has lived its' life....Unless I am outside, it takes blurry photos and the video is VERY grainy at best.....I think I should upgrade.

Anyone have any experience with any of these Canons? I hear that there is a design flaw of some sort that renders using SD cards useless....has anyone had this error?? As for Nikons, can anyone reccomend a good one? Thanks.
Mac Mini G4 1.33 Ghz:40GBhf, 512MBRAM, 32MBVRAM
MBP 15.4' 2.33Ghz:160GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
iMac 24' 2.4 Ghz, 300GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
80GB iPod Classic (black)

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2007, 08:28 PM

I just bought the 700 for Christmas and I love it. Get either the 700 or 800, they have image stabilization. I upgraded from a Canon Sure shot S30 (3.2 MP) and the difference in quality is very noticeable. Movies are twice the size and twice the quality. I probably took 200 pictures on Christmas Day and only a couple were blurry or out of focus, usually because of movement by a child. I bought my from newegg.com with free shipping and a free 1 GB SD card for under $300.

I could go on and on about this camera. It's so easy to use. I love the large screen (although it does have a viewfinder if you prefer to use that). Controls are easy to use. It has a widescreen picture mode which is cool. Definitely recommend this model. I didn't buy the 800 because I didn't want to spend the extra $$$ but if I remember correctly, it's essentially the same camera with higher MP.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 2, 2007, 10:51 PM

I'd go with the Canon SD700 IS or A710 IS.

The SD700 gives you a lithium battery (more shots per charge) and slightly smaller camera.
The A710IS gives you AA batteries (easy to replace on the road) and a bit more zoom (6x vs 4x).

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Jan 2, 2007, 11:21 PM

I just upgaded from a Nikon 3200 to a Canon SD800, and it's completely worth it. It can record longer movies than the other Canons (4x the length in VGA resolution, as the 600 and 700 are restricted to 1 GB while the 800 is restricted to 4 GB), and it's battery life is longer, as well. The 800 is the newest of the three, as well, and has a faster processor (although the 600 and 700 are fast enough that the speed increase isn't noticeable between the three). The 800's autofocus can detect faces, too.

I used a friend's Nikon S6, and the performance of that was akin to my old 3200-- slow and blurry. I had to put the camera on a table to get the blur detection to stop trying to erase pictures. Just stick with a Canon.
( Last edited by butterfly0fdoom; Jan 2, 2007 at 11:28 PM. )

HazelGirl  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2007, 04:35 AM

Thank you guys! Can you take multiple shots without having to wait? I always have to wait between shots on my Nikon........also, can any of these cameras take a CVR-3 battery?

maximusbibicus
Forum Regular
Jan 3, 2007, 11:14 AM

I bought the SD600 to go along with my A80. I just needed a small camera to have on me at all times for my upcoming trip to the Dominican Republic. Got it on sale at an amazing price so it was a no brainer. It just wasn't worth it for me to jump up to the 700 or 800. I am loving the size of the 600 and the massive screen. Couldn't be happier.
Macbook 2ghz|2GB|160GB|SD
Mac Mini 1.83ghz|4GB|320GB 7200RPM|Combo
Mac Mini 1.83ghz|4GB|320GB 7200RPM|Combo
iMac 500mhz|768MB|30GB|DVD
iPod Nano 4GB iPod Shuffle 1GB iPhone 16GB White & 8GB Black

robby818
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2007, 02:45 PM

The SD600 is selling for $220 at costco. The standard battery is excellent but if you travel buy two more. No need to buy the canon brand, amazon sells Lenmar brand batteries for $15 or so. With three fully charged batteries you won't have to worry about recharging for a long time.

The whole multiple shots issue is kind of a problem with most point and shoot digital cameras. i believe a lot of the lag is related to the fact that the sensor is doing double duty-taking shots and providing an image for the lcd display. it seems that each new generation of digital cameras improves the delay but you probably won't be happy until you get a digital SLR..if you are serious about photography then a compact slr like the canon rebel will eliminate the lag issue and is pretyt easy to travel with.

i think a lot of Mac users prefer canon to nikon. i have an sd500 as well as an s80 and like them a lot.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Jan 3, 2007, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by HazelGirl View Post
Thank you guys! Can you take multiple shots without having to wait? I always have to wait between shots on my Nikon........also, can any of these cameras take a CVR-3 battery?
You still do have to wait, but the wait is so much shorter, even with the flash on. On the ELPHs, it's also really easy to change the continutous setting (just push the down button, where as on my Nikon, it took navigating through, like, 3 menus).

They use proprietary rechargeable batteries, so they don't take CVR-3s (even the new Nikon L-series cameras don't take them anymore, and you'd be hard-pressed to find one that uses those, I think).

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2007, 03:46 PM

A significant factor in the delay between shots is the speed of the memory card. Don't just get any 1gb card, get a fast one.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

HazelGirl  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2007, 04:59 PM

thanks you guys!

My sister has a Kodak camera...I forget the name of it, but it has a dual lense and there is no lag between photos. I don't know how they managed to do it, but you can do multiple shots without any lag. It's a 5MP...its relatively easy to use, but I am weary of Kodak only because I hear the best cams are nikons and canons....also, i didn't like the in door quality.

I was looking at the SLRs (what does that stand for anyway?) and was debating on whether or not to save up and buy a lower end SLR....

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2007, 06:08 PM

thanks you guys!

My sister has a Kodak camera...I forget the name of it, but it has a dual lense and there is no lag between photos. I don't know how they managed to do it, but you can do multiple shots without any lag. It's a 5MP...its relatively easy to use, but I am weary of Kodak only because I hear the best cams are nikons and canons....also, i didn't like the in door quality.

I was looking at the SLRs (what does that stand for anyway?) and was debating on whether or not to save up and buy a lower end SLR....
Single-lens reflex camera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2007, 07:07 PM

Get the SD800IS. I got one for Christmas (to replace a 4MP SD400) and it is a DREAM. You will NOT be disappointed in the 800IS. You can zoom 15x and get pictures that look like they were taken with a macro lens. I'll post some sample pics if you want.

HazelGirl  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2007, 07:46 PM

sample pics, sample pics!

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2007, 07:56 PM

sample pics, sample pics!
Just a few samples. None are on macro setting. All the close-ups were done using 15x zoom from about 3-4 feet away. The indoor pics were taken using the "Indoor" setting.

HazelGirl  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2007, 09:18 PM

very nice pics! About how long, second-wise is the lag between photos?

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2007, 09:26 PM

No. The Canon cameras take a proprietary Li-Ion battery, but you can buy extras really cheap on eBay. I know people warn against using generic batteries, but I've regularly used a generic one in my SD300 (the original SD camera back in 2004) since I got it in November 2004 and haven't had any issues with overheating or anything else.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Jan 4, 2007, 07:52 PM

very nice pics! About how long, second-wise is the lag between photos?
1 missi (out of 1 mississippi), same for w/ flash and w/o flash. I use a SanDisk Ultra II memory card (not sure how fast it is).

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2007, 10:50 PM

Same memory card I have and I agree it's less than a second.

Dolce616
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2007, 03:01 PM

well, i have to say im so glad i found this forum! Thanks to everyone replying to hazelgirls post,i think i have finally come to a decision myself. I was also having problems deciding on whether to buy the sd700is,800is or nikon sc7(with wifi). After seeing the sample pictures taken with the 800is, i really want to choose that one, but....as i have been researching, i found that there is aperature/shutter priority on the 700is.you just have to go under manual and a few other options and enable it, so that it's not off. Guess i was curious to know if there was this hidden feature on the 800. As we all know there isn't much difference between the two. I don't care all that much about the extra mega pixel, but i am curious about how of a difference having that wide angle is compared to having more of a telescopic lense. I also heard the pictures are a little bit softer with the 800 compared to the 700.Again the sample pictures taken with the 800 has proven that wrong. I guess im just torn. Is it really worth it to spend 400 dollars? and if you want to even try to find the 700is in a store, it's nearly impossible. this will be my second digital camera. my first one being a casio i got 4-5 years ago for a christmas gift,and i can't take the double A batteries, small screen, blurry pics among many other things i don't like. so i would like something with image stabilization. One more thing i was thinking about..is it all that worth it to get a camera with IS opposed to a camera without one but with a higher iso? sorry this is so long....

Josh Reid
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2007, 07:49 PM

I upgraded from an S410 to the SD800 and LOVE LOVE it. I did a fair bit of research comparing the 700/800, etc., and while to be honest I can't remember what the issue was, I remember there being some big difference between the two that made it a no-brainer for me. (Sorry that it's just totally slipping my mind now!) Either way, if you go with the 800, I promise that you will not be disappointed.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Jan 13, 2007, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by Dolce616 View Post
(just scroll up... it's such a long post...)
Whether or not the 800 is worth the extra money is up to you, but personally, I would steer clear from Nikons. The S7c uses digital image stabilization, which reduces the picture quality while clearing the blur. And it's slow. Nikon point-and-shoots are abysmally show. I could probably cook a pot of instant noodles in the time it takes for the flash to recharge.

As for debating between the 700 and 800, they are essentially the same camera. But if you want face-priority AF (not as useful as it sounds, as the face needs to be facing the camera, but it's nice to have sometimes) and a wide-angle lens, then get the 800. Or if you just like having the latest thing. If you don't really care and just want a good camera with IS, then get a 700. Stores should still sell it, since Canon still lists it on their own website as being part of the current line-up.

As for IS versus ISO, if you look at Canons, they tend to have noisy pictures at high ISO, so IS is more needed for Canons. But other brands have different situations. So it varies.

Dolce616
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2007, 04:25 PM

Thanks for the info butterfly it helped. On that note. i went to my local ritz camera store today to find out, they only sell the sd 600 and 630! i'd have to order the 700 or 800is. To answer your question butterfly... i guess i don't really care about the face recognition, especially if it doesn't affect the quality of the picture all that much. I don't think i really care about having a high 1600 iso either, but i am looking at canons-no nikons at all now, so if i'm going to spend the money it's going to have the IS in it. I'm really bummed that i couldn't play with either camera. stores such as; circuit city, and best buy, are replacing the 700 with the brand new 800. so maybe i'll have to go play around with the 800 at one of the stores. one last question for everyone who has the 700-how do you like that half wheel canon put near the corner of the camera? My mom has the canon sd550, and i like how there's an actual button in the middle that clicks in place, not some half rotating wheel on the edge(i hope you all know what im talking about)

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Jan 13, 2007, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Dolce616 View Post
Scroll up for yet another long post
I tried the 700 at an Apple Store before, and there really is no difference between the integrated mode switch and the fully visible mode dial. The mode dial on the 550, 800, and 900 is more comfortable as a thumb rest than the smooth surface on the 700, though. It really depends on your own preference and what you find comfortable to hold.

Dolce616
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2007, 12:46 AM

heeeeey that one was a paragraph opposed to two! One more thing,have any of you came across any issues with the e18 error coming across your lcd, on any sd elph cameras? with the luck i have with electronics, the camera i pick will decide to do this! im just worried because of what i've read about canons customer service when it comes to this issue, and it's not good at all.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Jan 14, 2007, 12:52 AM

I've only had two Canons, (plenty of people have had a lot more, but my S100 lasted 5 years), and neither had the error. I would just not worry unless it happens to you. You take a risk no matter what brand of camera you buy.

Dolce616
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2007, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by butterfly0fdoom View Post
I've only had two Canons, (plenty of people have had a lot more, but my S100 lasted 5 years), and neither had the error. I would just not worry unless it happens to you. You take a risk no matter what brand of camera you buy.
you are right, you take a chance with any other brand.and the fact that you had a one for 5 years gives me hope! it's sad how they don't make things last as long as they could in this day and age. Next time you hear from me, i'll have an update about what camera i chose and if i'm liking it!

HazelGirl  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 15, 2007, 07:20 PM

Has anyone had experience with FujiFilm FinePix cameras?

Leo the 3rd
Jan 19, 2007, 10:29 AM

I needed a pocketable camera for days I don't want to carry about a 30D DSLR, so I looked at the ELPH line and found that the 800 IS would fit the bill. Great little camera. Easy to use (for mother-in-laws) to the discerning camera hound. Definitely get a larger card (don't know why Canon still supplies the 16MB SD cards) and enjoy.

HazelGirl  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 22, 2007, 02:29 AM

I saw it at Best Buy the other day and was playing with it....seemed neat. i just hope that if I get it, that infamous error doesn't pop up. It seems to be the best camera for what I want though I would still like soem reviews of the FujiFilm FinePix cam......I may buy within the next few weeks....

HazelGirl  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 24, 2007, 07:29 PM

Well, I am going to go to best buy to see if they have the camera in stock...if so, I'll get it and also opt for the 2GB SD card that happens to be on sale with an additional rebate. Hopefully I can fixe my printer too so I can test some prints. Thanks for the advice all!

crazylegs5150
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2007, 04:55 PM

I got a sd600 for christmas and it was 200 bucks. So far, I have used it twice now and hve been quite happy. While it does not have as many features as my S1 , the large LCD is great and vid quality is pretty good. I have a 1 gb sd card and I can take up to 3000 pix or so it tells me with moderate settings. the size of it is also another great feature. The only thing I do not like about it tht there is no "action/sports" setting. I also find it odd that there is a "pets" setting. Anyhow, overall i have been very pleased with it ans would recommend it ..can't beat the price. You could go with the sd 800 but why pay more to lose the viewfinder. I feel that if you get pressed for battery life, turn off the LCD and use the viewfinder. Not an option on the sd800.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Jan 25, 2007, 06:35 PM

The SD800 has a viewfinder. It's the SD630 that doesn't.

HazelGirl  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2007, 07:53 PM

whats the diff between a sandisk ultra II and a regular sandisk 2GB sd card ? The guy at the store tried to dissuade me from buying the ultra II saying it was "just for slr cams and a waste of money for a regular digicam like the canon sd800"----both were on sale but the ultra costed about 20 bucks or so more. Is there going to be a big difference in read/write speed? Is that the highest capacity that the sd800 will take? I want to get the best and highest capcity card so that when I take pics, I can take them at the best quality without worrying about space.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Jan 25, 2007, 11:36 PM

The Ultra II is faster than the standard SanDisk card. The highest capacity the SD800 will take is the highest capacity SDHC card on the market, and I think they've got 8 GB cards on the market. The SD800 will only take 4 GB of video, though.

HazelGirl  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 26, 2007, 03:01 AM

is the ultra II the same as an SDHC card?

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Jan 27, 2007, 03:51 AM

No, the Ultra II is just a regular SD card, except faster. SDHC cards are SD cars with capacities above 2 GB.

HazelGirl  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 27, 2007, 09:00 PM

aaah ok. hmmmmmm....perhaps i will pay the extra and get the ultra ii.....

I had to order my camera but it will probably be here the begining of next week...YAY!!

Dolce616
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2007, 05:33 PM

Hazel, if i were you, i would spend that extra and buy the ultra ii. I just pre-ordered the sd800 from ritz camera, and got it for 253.(this was in a local mall though, and had 100 dollar gift certificate). I REALLY wanted the sd700,but they aren't going to get anymore in, and are no longer being made(as we already guessed). so i said what the heck, and bought this- if i'm lucky i'll get the camera by mid march. But anyway, like you hazel, i've been thinking about the differences between a regular sd and the ultra. I'm pretty sure you'll be happy with the ultra, especially if you want to have less lag and possibly a faster recycle time between pics. My motta is in most cases,"you get what you pay for"

dpicardi
Forum Regular
Jan 29, 2007, 05:50 PM

First of all, my budget right now is $400 MAX. I want a camera with at least 6MP....clear, sharp pics. Good at taking pics indoors, with low lighting as well as outdoors. A large LCD and user friendly menus are a must. Relatively thin but with great build quality. Anti-shake/vibration feature is a plus because I don;t have the steadiest hands, but it's not absolutely necessary. Good optical zoom quality is +++. Ability to do decent video is a plus because I plan to do very short interviews with language consultants. I will eventually get a camcorder but I don't think it will be any time soon. EXCELLENT battery life and dual voltage charger is a must (I travel a lot and plan to return to Europe). Must be able to support high capacity SD chips. I plan to buy a 1GB.
Except for your requirement of the SD Cards, you have just perfectly defined the best P&S on the market. The Fuji F30 or the Fuji F31fd. Both can be had for less than your price point even AFTER you buy a 1GB XD card.

If those really are your requirements, run don't walk to get one.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 29, 2007, 10:53 PM

I think the Canon SD700 IS (or A710 IS depending on her preference for zoom vs size) is a better fit. It meets all of her requirements and preferences, and avoids the expensive/proprietary xD memory.

Also, 1GB is not really a high capacity card these days; they're what $8? I would consider 4GB to be a high capacity card.

Forum Links
Forum Rules