Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Powermac price stability

Powermac price stability
SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2002, 11:31 AM

What's the rumormill on Powermac prices now that PC makers are increasing prices? Excluding simple pass-along increases like ram, will they follow suit and increase base prices?

JayTi
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 2, 2002, 05:07 PM

Apple will not raise pricing on their base model Mac.
Am I still here?

SimeyTheLimey  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 2, 2002, 05:25 PM

Originally posted by JayTi:
<STRONG>Apple will not raise pricing on their base model Mac.</STRONG>
Thanks. That's reassuring.

brown monk
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 3, 2002, 01:18 AM

Originally posted by SimeyTheLimey:
<STRONG>What's the rumormill on Powermac prices now that PC makers are increasing prices? Excluding simple pass-along increases like ram, will they follow suit and increase base prices?</STRONG>
There is no way of telling. What I mean is that no one, absolutely no one, expected an iMac price hike at last month's MacWorld.

Interesting to note is that only "low-end" machines have seen price hikes (especially with other computer companies such as Dell).
brown is sweeter
me_puter: outdated

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2002, 01:27 AM

Originally posted by brown monk:
<STRONG>

There is no way of telling. What I mean is that no one, absolutely no one, expected an iMac price hike at last month's MacWorld.

Interesting to note is that only "low-end" machines have seen price hikes (especially with other computer companies such as Dell).</STRONG>
Hmm, yes...I'd agree...Apple has a lot more margin on the higher end PowerMacs than it does on the iMacs...and of course one of the reasons for the iMac increase was the lcd screens - this does not affect the PowerMac G4 although it could eventually affect the Studio Display line (or at least delay the rumoured price decreases...).
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

SimeyTheLimey  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 3, 2002, 03:20 PM

Originally posted by brown monk:
<STRONG>

Interesting to note is that only "low-end" machines have seen price hikes (especially with other computer companies such as Dell).</STRONG>
Obviously I realize that they can increase the price without notice. I just wanted to pick the brains of people who have watched Apple pricing trends and policies longer than me.

My basic issue is that I have the money for a new G4, but I also have a good reason not to wanting to buy until June. But if the prices go up significantly, that becomes a bit of a dilemma.

Thanks to all who replied.

JayTi
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 3, 2002, 07:40 PM

I have to be blunt and straight to the point. Pricing points will stay the same for at least one year, in the configuration you see now....low end (single proc), mid range(single proc) and high end (dual procs) See some of my other posts if you'd like to question my accuracy
Am I still here?

OverclockedHomoSapien
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 3, 2002, 10:02 PM

<STRONG>Apple will not raise pricing on their base model Mac.</STRONG>
Excellent.

What can you tell us about the next Powermac revision? MWNY? G5?

Thanks.
[FONT="book antiqua"]"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
- Thomas Jefferson, 1816.[/FONT]

SimeyTheLimey  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 3, 2002, 10:06 PM

<STRONG>I have to be blunt and straight to the point. Pricing points will stay the same for at least one year, in the configuration you see now....low end (single proc), mid range(single proc) and high end (dual procs) See some of my other posts if you'd like to question my accuracy</STRONG>
Who was "questioning your accuracy"?

JayTi
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 3, 2002, 11:20 PM

No one. I'm just saying that when I post, it's nothing short of accurate.
Am I still here?

SimeyTheLimey  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2002, 09:28 AM

<STRONG>No one. I'm just saying that when I post, it's nothing short of accurate.</STRONG>
The Burning Bush hath spoken.

Forum Links
Forum Rules