Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Is My Disk Doubler Drive Slow?

Is My Disk Doubler Drive Slow?
Nergol
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 17, 2012, 08:13 AM

So I have a 5400RPM 1TB WD drive in the optical drive slot in my MBP via an OWC Data Doubler. I accept that it's kind of a slow drive (which doesn't matter that much, since it's my bulk storage drive and not my boot drive), and it stutters a bit when I'm playing 60fps video from it, but otherwise it's fine.

So I ran Blackmagic Disk Speed Test on it, and found both read and write speeds hovering at around 75MB/sec. So my question is: is that about right, or is it slow for what I should be getting from this drive?

Thanks.
( Last edited by Nergol; Apr 29, 2012 at 09:43 PM. Reason: It's called a Data Doubler.)

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 17, 2012, 09:35 AM

From memory, that seems about right for a SATA platter HDD.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2012, 12:42 PM

How full is the HDD? Just curious.

Nergol  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 17, 2012, 04:18 PM

400GB free on a 1TB drive.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2012, 06:37 PM

Compression will not work on compressed movies because they are already optimally compressed streams.
Docx, HTML and perhaps PDF will compress as advertised.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 17, 2012, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
Compression will not work on compressed movies because they are already optimally compressed streams.
Docx, HTML and perhaps PDF will compress as advertised.
You aren't wrong but where did this come from?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2012, 09:42 PM

Oops i thought "data doubler" referred to an on the fly compression software, ala ram doubler.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 18, 2012, 06:13 AM

Oops i thought "data doubler" referred to an on the fly compression software, ala ram doubler.
I had a feeling you did.

P
Apr 18, 2012, 07:00 AM

I haven't heard of Data Doubler, but Disk Doubler (from the thread title) is actually very old compression software, quite popular back in the System 7 days.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 19, 2012, 02:23 PM

Those were the days. *Sigh*

Nergol  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 24, 2012, 03:30 AM

The main thing I'm concerned about is that I sometimes get stutters when I play video off that drive, especially (but not limited to) large, high-quality files. It never happened when I had the same videos on an external FireWire drive.

It's not constant - just occasional, no more than an annoyance, really, but concerning. I have no other problems with the drive. I even have my iTunes library on that drive and never get stutters in the audio or anything. But like I said, it's annoying, and concerning.

Disk utility reports everything on the drive is OK. It's less than a month old, so I doubt that fragmentation is a problem. The videos are .avis, .mkvs, and .mp4s, played with VLC 2.0.1.

Any ideas about why this is happening? Or is the answer just "It's a 5400RPM drive - what did you expect?"

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 24, 2012, 04:01 AM

Unless your files have data rates in excess of the 75MB/sec you are getting, that shouldn't happen, no.

Nergol  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 25, 2012, 03:05 AM

So any ideas about what might be causing this stutter?

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2012, 04:17 AM

Lame drive?

P
Apr 25, 2012, 07:38 AM

Well, what have you excluded? What does SMART say - not just green in Disk Utility but the actual numbers? Does the drive pass the regular disk test?
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Nergol  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 25, 2012, 10:42 PM

Which utility would you recommend I use for the SMART data - SMARTReporter, or SMART Utility?

I've run Disk Utility on the drive multiple times, and it's passed with flying colors.

P
Apr 26, 2012, 10:18 AM

Whichever lets you see the raw data.

Nergol  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 27, 2012, 03:51 AM

Is this what you were looking for?

P
Apr 27, 2012, 04:20 AM

Actually I meant the data that you'd see if you pushed the "Show all attributes" button above, but I can see the most important part: You don't seem to have any read errors, which eliminates that problem.

Have you tried disabling drive spin down (in the energy saver)?

Nergol  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 28, 2012, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Actually I meant the data that you'd see if you pushed the "Show all attributes" button above, but I can see the most important part: You don't seem to have any read errors, which eliminates that problem.

Have you tried disabling drive spin down (in the energy saver)?
Yup. Didn't stop the problem.

Nergol  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 29, 2012, 09:32 PM

My speed test, BTW:

And full SMART attributes:

Forum Links
Forum Rules