Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Apple to replace 3TB hard drives in late 2012 model 27-inch iMacs

Apple to replace 3TB hard drives in late 2012 model 27-inch iMacs
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jun 19, 2015, 03:00 PM

Users who purchased a 27-inch iMac between December of 2012 and September of 2013 may experience hard drive or Fusion Drive failure "under certain conditions" due to problem with the hard drive component. Apple has now announced a replacement program that largely covers the "late 2012" 27-inch iMac (though it may also include some early mid-2013 iMacs), and will contact registered owners of the affected units to offer a free swap out of the drives, regardless of warranty status.

The program will offer free replacements (and data transfer, if the drive is still operable) until December 19, or three years beyond the original data of sale, which ever provides longer coverage for the buyer, the company said in a statement. It has set up a webpage for manual claims and to allow owners to check their iMac's serial number against the affected units, and said it will compensate owners who have paid to replace a failed 3TB HD or Fusion Drive from the affected models.

Apple has not commented on the specific brand of hard drive that is causing the issue, but a study by BackBlaze from February that MacNN reported on noted that Seagate 3TB drives (in particular, separate from the rest of its product line) had an extraordinarily high rate of failure, approaching 44 percent for that capacity model only, a serious anomaly compared to the average problem rate for other drives from Seagate or other manufacturers.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Jun 20, 2015 at 12:05 AM. )

ADeweyan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2015, 09:50 AM

The 3TB Fusion drive in my late 2012 iMac died just about 10 days ago. Time Machine made it easy to restore the data on a new external drive, but I was planning on having the internal drive replaced as well -- this is great news.

Interestingly, the Thunderbolt-connected striped RAID I replaced the drive with is a bit slower in read operations than the internal Fusion drive, but faster in write operations.

prl99
Senior User
Jun 21, 2015, 10:30 PM

When will Seagate realize their disk drives are terrible, especially the smaller capacity ones (under 4TB)? I have too many Seagate drives fail before the warranty expires but haven't bothered to replace them under warranty because I don't want another Seagate drive. I believe I don't have any left in any of my computers or external disks and will never buy another one. Apple needs to understand this as well and stop using them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules