Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Radeon PCI in PowerTower?

Radeon PCI in PowerTower?
slimpy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2001, 02:28 PM

I know it may sound crazy... but would a Radeon PCI card work in my old Power Computing PowerTower 180e? I'm only considering it because I could transfer the card to a new G4 tower later this year (for a second monitor). I would consider a Rage 128 only if I could purchase it from a regular reseller (not ebay etc.) That doesn't seem likely at this point. I can't stand my Xclaim VR - 4 MB - card anymore...

Thanks

druber
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 2, 2001, 02:46 PM

would it work? yah, i'd certianly expect so. ati's web site should certainly have requirement specs. sure won't be able to get max performance out of it with a 604, but if this is just a temporary thing, heck why not?
Help find a cure for Malaria: crunch D2OL for Team Macnn.

Kaylen
Feb 10, 2001, 05:11 PM

I would have to agree, go for the best... I am not happy with my Nexus 128 and that was the best when I got it and put it in my Powerbase 180, that is actually a G3 340... Just my two cents. The bus will be the limiting factor, so if the performance isn't up to par it will be on your other machine, just keep in mind that you are not running on a 100Mhz bus, but half of that....

altoid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2001, 12:38 PM

sort of off topic, sort of not....

Does the 32MB Radeon AGP Card that is made for the PC work in a Mac? I've got one sitting around and if I can put it in my Mac that'd be great!

seti@mac
Feb 12, 2001, 01:50 PM

Originally posted by altoid:
sort of off topic, sort of not....

Does the 32MB Radeon AGP Card that is made for the PC work in a Mac? I've got one sitting around and if I can put it in my Mac that'd be great!
No it wont work sorry. This is beacause all mac pci devices use "Firmware" to identify itself to the mac and Pc pci devices doesn't have any "Firmware" therefor you can not use your Pc Radeon card in your Mac this is also applyable when talking about AGP cards as well.
(just for the record i would like it to be othewise)

------------------
All mac

hopeful...
Feb 12, 2001, 05:19 PM

Does anyone actually have a PCI Radeon DDR (for Mac) in their Mac? I pre-ordered one from Outpost...but they don't give a ship date.

Dr iMac
Feb 13, 2001, 09:38 AM

Another question... can a mac agp videocard be placed into a peecee?
I just got a mac agp radeon card to go into my G4 and want to put the ati card into one of my pc's..

Thanks for any help,
Matt

samiam_2000
Feb 13, 2001, 11:36 AM

While were on the subject of Video cards for older Macs, I just bought an ATI Xclaim 3D Plus and it crashes the computer after about 30-60 secs into any OpenGL game.
OpenGL 1.2.1
ATI Installer 4.2
Any known extention conflicts? The only one I might suspect is Palm Serial Monitor. Most of the rest are stock extensions. Any suggestions?

If it's a good choice it's cheap? ClubMac $85 - $30 Rebate (Note: The average used Ebay price $65 - $70)
[email protected]

RoofusPennymore
Senior User
Feb 24, 2001, 05:23 AM

I was just considering the same for my PowerCenter 150. A 604 probably can't fully utilize a Radeon. But with a processor upgrade it could. You could also look for the pre Radeon cards and find a good deal.
---I'm on a low Microsoft diet.

GLT
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2001, 01:00 AM

I believe the Radeon is more concerned with the OS than the CPU. I t requires 9.0 or higher.

here's the ATI page in question
http://www.ati.com/na/pages/products...ion/index.html

Good luck,

Greg

Forum Links
Forum Rules