Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > RtCW is shipping!

RtCW is shipping!
Ldog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 23, 2002, 05:44 PM

My copy is in the mail as of today! Woo hoo! When are you going to get yours?

G5 1.8 single processor, Jaguar
2 big dogs

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2002, 06:04 PM

Already got it.

Beta 3 is fine for me, already beat the single player on the medium setting.

Of course, I'm still going to buy it. (*looks around nervously then runs away*)

[ 04-23-2002: Message edited by: CheesePuff ]

anim8ing
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 23, 2002, 06:36 PM

If you look at Aspyr's wolfenstein page, the system requirements are VERY steep:

Power Mac G3/G4/iMac (Flat-Panel or later)/PowerBook G4 (Gigabit Ethernet or later)

They don't say that these are "recommended" either. The MP Test runs just fine on my Wifes iMac 500 w/16mb ati. Albeit you have to turn the settings down. Quake 3 on the same machine runs at a constant 45-50 FPS (which is just fine) I know RtCW is more demanding, but i'm very suprised that they listed the requirements so high. What do you all think ?

Anim8r

Nep2ne
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 23, 2002, 07:09 PM

Originally posted by anim8ing:
<STRONG>If you look at Aspyr's wolfenstein page, the system requirements are VERY steep:

Power Mac G3/G4/iMac (Flat-Panel or later)/PowerBook G4 (Gigabit Ethernet or later)

They don't say that these are "recommended" either. The MP Test runs just fine on my Wifes iMac 500 w/16mb ati. Albeit you have to turn the settings down. Quake 3 on the same machine runs at a constant 45-50 FPS (which is just fine) I know RtCW is more demanding, but i'm very suprised that they listed the requirements so high. What do you all think ?

Anim8r</STRONG>
Am currently installing it on my G3/450. I'll see if it'll take and get back to you soon...
------
Friend of All Cats.

iKevin
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 23, 2002, 08:46 PM

So it's shipping??? Cool! This is gonna be cool

Nep2ne
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 23, 2002, 09:42 PM

Strange, a store in my area had it on the shelf.

Some early thoughts on gameplay with my G3/450 ... this game is AMAZING. The level of detail apparent even on my slow-as-nails Rage128 is good. Screw the requirements. Granted, I've only tried a few of the single player levels but so far, so good.

Sorry for anyone who has to wait a little longer, but it is SO WORTH IT.
------
Friend of All Cats.

x user
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2002, 11:50 PM

Welp, now I need money .

rampant
Banned
Location: permanent resident of the Land of the Easily Aroused
Apr 24, 2002, 01:04 AM

How old is wolfenstein already? 8 Months?

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2002, 02:58 AM

Originally posted by x user:
<STRONG>Welp, now I need money .</STRONG>
I hear ya....
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

brown monk
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 24, 2002, 12:31 PM

Originally posted by rampant:
<STRONG>How old is wolfenstein already? 8 Months?</STRONG>
Umm...about six I think. I don't remember the date but I think it came out in October/November (maybe early December??) for the PC...then they promised to have it out by Christmas for us Mac OS folk.
brown is sweeter
me_puter: outdated

daydreamer
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 24, 2002, 12:45 PM

does the mutliprocessor support work ? does the mutliprocessor support work ?does the mutliprocessor support work ?does the mutliprocessor support work ?does the mutliprocessor support work ?does the mutliprocessor support work ?does the mutliprocessor support work ?

thx

Leonard
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2002, 03:12 PM

Originally posted by daydreamer:
<STRONG>does the mutliprocessor support work ?
thx </STRONG>
Does it have multiprocessor support? I sure would appreciate it, if it did... and it works...
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

brown monk
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 25, 2002, 03:06 AM

I just ordered mine. I wont get it till next week but I was wondering if you any of you knew of the patch that is suppose to put the Mac OS version on par with the PC version?

It was suppose to come out at the same time as the game or shortly after but I have not heard anything about it...
brown is sweeter

Ldog  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2002, 04:38 PM

Got it today at work from UPS! Sweeeeet!

Wish I were home now, but I know what I'll be doing this weekend!
G5 1.8 single processor, Jaguar
2 big dogs

<fishdoc>
Apr 26, 2002, 07:48 PM

Well, the demo played fine (at low settings) on my wife's iMac 500, but the retail - I have set everything to minimum, turned off everything I could, and it still is unplayably slow (single player).

Suggestions? Did they do something to the retail version?

Fish

x user
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2002, 09:13 PM

Single won't work very well on a G3 from my experience. You pretty much need a G4 for that. The multi still works well. Which is all I really want. Single gets boring quick!

mgl
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 27, 2002, 12:23 AM

Got mine. Works great on my iMac G4 800. Sucks on my iBook G3 600. Oh well, I can't play it on my laptop.

I had one lockup tonight on my iMac. It was stuck in a 1 second loop. I had to yank the plug.

Good game.

daydreamer
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 27, 2002, 04:47 AM

Originally posted by &lt;fishdoc&gt;:
<STRONG>Well, the demo played fine (at low settings) on my wife's iMac 500, but the retail - I have set everything to minimum, turned off everything I could, and it still is unplayably slow (single player).

Suggestions? Did they do something to the retail version?

Fish</STRONG>
well all I can say, is that the mptest was OS X Cocoa done by greame divine (id) and the retail is carbonized made by westlake interactive. I don't blame westlake for anything i love them , but greames cocoa version would have been faster i think; I have turned on the r_smp 1 setting for dual support but no changes in framerates with me..

<fishdoc>
Apr 27, 2002, 11:30 AM

thanks - it turns out that SP is marginally playable if I run it in OS 9. Glad to hear the new iMacs can handle it, as I will pick one up after MWNY.

Fish

mgl
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2002, 10:31 PM

Originally posted by &lt;fishdoc&gt;:
<STRONG>thanks - it turns out that SP is marginally playable if I run it in OS 9. Glad to hear the new iMacs can handle it, as I will pick one up after MWNY.

Fish</STRONG>
I want to state again that it's excellent on an iMac G4 800. The graphics are flicker free and the sound is good. It looks very good on the LCD screen (especially in a dark room, which is the only way to play it!) It would probably be just as good on a 700 mhz model.

However, I'm deleting it from my iBook G3 600. If it's the only machine you have, you might want to try it, but I found it difficult to control due to the low frame rates. It also wouldn't run above 640x480 on my iBook. I bumped it up to see just how slow it would go, but I just got a black screen. I fiddled with the cfg file but ended up reinstalling it to fix it.

The company did a nice job on the packaging, too.

Mike

Br0wnie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2002, 11:13 PM

Return to Castle Wolfenstein sux on any and every platform. Play something fun like CS or Quake 3 or something. We have seen 3 games come out about WW2: Day of Defeat, RtCW, and Medal of Honor. Why the hell? But I guess it is a good thing for people who use mac only. So happy gaming, but CS and Quake is much better!!!!
rar....I am a creature, Ima cry.

gthyb
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 30, 2002, 02:51 AM

mgl--

how much ram in that imac?

and what settings are you running at?

i was disapointed w/ my 800 imac.

brown monk
Dedicated MacNNer
May 1, 2002, 08:42 PM

Got mine today...Like lots of people, I have a question:

In the MPTest by ID I was able to "command-tab" out of the game (you know, like "docking" the game). Anyway, I can't seem to be able to do this in the retail version of the MPWolf.

I guess it might have something to do with the game being a carbon port but I don't want to draw any conclusions. I looked over the manual that came with the game but no cigar...

Oh yeah, I've also tried "command-m" but it doesn't work either...

Thanks in advance.
brown is sweeter

WhackamoleX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2002, 09:57 PM

After the long wait, I loaded it on my dual gig last night and WOW.

Simply gorgeous on the 17-inch Studio display with everything maxed out (resolution, detail, etc).

schwa
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2002, 09:57 AM

Just picked it up last night for my G4/Dual 500 w/832MB RAM/Radeon AGP. Haven't tried MP, but single player performance is not that great, at least under OS X. Especially in the outdoor environments, frame rate drops to really annoying levels. But it is a sweet game. Great enemy AI.

theory
Dedicated MacNNer
May 8, 2002, 10:13 PM

What are the spec. requirments for RTWC, I was thinking of getting my brother pay half the price so that he can play it on his 600 MHz imac. The mp demo on his machine with acceptable frame rate. But every time I look at the specs at the apple website they are diffrent. It once said it needs 8MB vram! and the other time it said that it needed min 16MB and gforce or radeon. So what's the real deal.

Forum Links
Forum Rules