Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > gaming mouse of choice?

gaming mouse of choice?
scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2002, 09:29 PM

alright. im thinking i need a multi button mouse for gaming purposes. the one button + a bunch of keyboard buttons is getting my arse kicked. i mean, i suck at shooter games really bad anyway, and this aint helping.

what do yall use for a gaming mouse?

Aragorn
Apr 23, 2002, 09:38 PM

I use a razer boomslang 2000. Love it, kicks butt. www.razerzone.com

Archangel
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2002, 04:29 AM

MS Intellimouse. The one w/ 4 buttons and a scroll wheel not the one w/ 2 buttons and a scroll. However, I'm considering of switching to Kensington's Optical pro. This one is flaking out on me after 2 years of good use (the MS logo has worn off too )

Leonard
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2002, 11:03 AM

Logitech Optical Wheelmouse... the one with two buttons and a scroll wheel.

A multi-button mouse is almost a requirement in current FPS games nowadays.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

-Q-
Apr 24, 2002, 11:26 AM

Microsoft Intellimouse (the four-button). Still relatively new, but seems to be good quality after three months.

brown monk
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 24, 2002, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by Leonard:
<STRONG>Logitech Optical Wheelmouse... the one with two buttons and a scroll wheel.

A multi-button mouse is almost a requirement in current FPS games nowadays.</STRONG>
That's what I use. Works great for me...
brown is sweeter
me_puter: outdated

iKevin
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 24, 2002, 05:06 PM

Originally posted by brown monk:
<STRONG>

That's what I use. Works great for me...</STRONG>

What I use too...but a optical mouse will really take away from a FPS a little bit.

kardinal.cmg
Forum Regular
Apr 24, 2002, 07:06 PM

MS Wireless Intellimouse. 4 buttons + wheel, and no cables sticking out - i.e. complete freedom of movement. I absolutely adore the thing.

MS may not be able to come out with some decent software even if their lives depended on it, but the mice are excellent.
Who dares wins

(aka minkinen at MacCentral)

iSoldier
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2002, 10:39 PM

I believe that the MS mice take snapshots of the desktop with their lasers twice as fast as the Logitech one's. So if it's speed your after...

Oh remember that in the long run the way you mess with the driver makes a bigger difference speedwise than the actual mouse. MS/Logitech drivers usually default too slow for me. Use mouse zoom or not.
This signiture is currently under contruction!

maguirer
Apr 26, 2002, 05:30 PM

Originally posted by iKevin:
<STRONG>

What I use too...but a optical mouse will really take away from a FPS a little bit.</STRONG>
Logitech Optical Wheelmouse is definitely a great FPS mouse. It's small and light, not all cumbersome like the Intellimouse is. I've never had problems with an optical mouse in an FPS, but I've noticed it all comes down to how one uses a mouse. I usually crank up the sensitivity and move the mouse up and down using my thumb and ring finger then left or right by slightly turning turning my hand at the wrist.

I've seen others that rarely move their hands/fingers at all, instead using their entire arm and elbow to move the mouse. They generally have the sensitivity as low as it can go. Optical mouse don't work as well in this case as it relies on quicker/broader strokes with the mouse that they generally go all funky over.

kardinal.cmg
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2002, 06:00 PM

Originally posted by maguirer:
<STRONG>

Logitech Optical Wheelmouse is definitely a great FPS mouse. It's small and light, not all cumbersome like the Intellimouse is.
</STRONG>
It did take me a while to adjust to my Wireless Intellimouse after changing from my standard Apple ADB II mouse, partly because the batteries add extra weight to the body. But after adjusting the sensitivity, I'm actually much better at FPS games now than I ever was with the old mouse, and not only because I've got more buttons.
Who dares wins

Cellery
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2002, 06:20 PM

Wireless Intellimouse Explorer for me, it works great in Quake III and UT. The Apple Pro Mouse wasn't cutting it with the short cord and the fact that the whole top of the mouse is the (only) button. I also bought a 3M mousepad, and the mouse glides smoothly on top of it, I play much better on a good mousepad as opposed to the plain desk.

x user
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2002, 09:11 PM

I like the trackpad personally

Footy
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2002, 12:28 PM

Why not buy a nice game pad?

CH Products has a good one for around $20 bucks that you can just plug in to a USB socket.
http://www.chproducts.com/retail/usb_gamepad.html

I've been using their Fightersticks for years and they really do make the best ones.

lloyd

Footy
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2002, 12:31 PM

Why not buy a nice game pad?

CH Products has a good one for around $20 bucks that you can just plug in to a USB socket.

I've been using their Fightersticks for years and they really do make the best ones.

lloyd

kardinal.cmg
Forum Regular
Apr 27, 2002, 12:35 PM

Originally posted by Footy:
<STRONG>Why not buy a nice game pad?

lloyd </STRONG>
Game pads? Dunno... I suppose if I'd spent ages playing console games and getting used to them, they'd be alright, but I personally never liked them too much...

Call me a slave to habit, but I like my mouse.
Who dares wins

JUnderwood
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 28, 2002, 08:27 AM

I use a logitech dual optical mouse 4 buttons and 2 sensors.

my desk has these bumps and the 2 sensors switch off the duty of reporting the surface so the mouse action is always smooth.

G Barnett
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 28, 2002, 01:20 PM

Kensington Turbo Mouse Pro USB Trackball. 4 buttons, and I never have to worry about running out of desk/mousepad. I love the thing.

G Barnett
Life is like a clay pigeon -- sooner or later, someone is going to shoot you down and even if they miss you'll still wind up shattered and broken in the end.

anim8ing
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 28, 2002, 10:16 PM

Razer Boomslang 2000. Without a doubt the best mouse i've ever used. You will need to get USB OverDrive if you choose this mouse, as there aren't any mac drivers available for it.

Anim8r

alexgislason
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2002, 06:22 PM

I suggest the Wacom tablet. You may think im crazy, a pen for gaming?? but i got use to it and I love it. Its 100$ But worth it The mouse is good too and both don't take batteries. The pen has right and left mouse buttons and an eraser you probably wont use for gaming but uf you get into photo editing you will love it even more! You can get it from Apple, they have them in stock.
Man is great not because of his ability to change the world, but great because he can change himself. -Anonymous

roiler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2002, 12:26 PM

Kensington 4button optical, works great for me.
http://www.orangeinsider.org/

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2002, 04:26 PM

Originally posted by roiler:
<STRONG>Kensington 4button optical, works great for me. </STRONG>
I second that! Optical Pro is the best ever.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

IFLY2HIGH
Senior User
May 9, 2002, 08:06 AM

My pick is the Logitech USB cordless mouse. Two buttons, and a scrollwheel. Cordless rocks.
- Eric

Forum Links
Forum Rules