Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Startup Items?

Startup Items?
Peter Pan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2001, 03:47 AM

In the MacOS X PB, there was a Startup Items folder, anyone knows where I can put that stuff now?
I know that you can actually recreate that folder an it works, but I want to put my scripts where apple puts them, so I don't have two places to look after.

thx

D_Claire
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2001, 03:54 AM

A possibility is to write a .login Script with the names of the programs you want to start. (You also need to set the right environment!)

Claire

Peter Pan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2001, 04:17 AM

Thanks you, but I know how to set startup items, I just want to now where Apple does it.

I found out that if I recreate the "PB-like" Startup Items folder, I can also set the status in the startup screen. I can't do that with the Login System Preferences. That stuff is started after a successful login. I want to start servers etc.

[This message has been edited by Peter Pan (edited 04-06-2001).]

altoid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2001, 08:24 AM

I asked a similar question in another thread and it was suggested I look in /System/Library/StartupItmes. There are sub folders there of process that start w/ the boot process. I have not tried it yet, but my understanding is that you can put a script in there to start up whatever service and make it executable.

#!/bin/sh

put script here like sendmail -bd q30 or whatever.

Forum Links
Forum Rules