Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > system for an lc III...

system for an lc III...
dabradda
Jul 15, 2000, 04:46 AM

what system version would you reccomend for an lc III? i have 7.1, 7.5, 7.5.3, and 7.6.1. i could probably find another version if it would be better. this computer has 4 megs of ram. i'm thinking of putting in some more ram. this is for a friend, and she needs it back. she's using my se/30 for the time being. also, where can i get a pram battery for it?

dabradda

wlonh
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2000, 09:21 AM

i am guessing 7.6.1 would be about the best

pull the pram batt out and take it to Radio Shlock and say gimme one o' these, please

reader50
Administrator
Jul 15, 2000, 02:08 PM

I just went through a friend's LC III to bring it up to date and fix any problems. The battery you need is the Radio Shack #23-026 and costs $9.99.

Install 7.6.1. That is the highest version the LC III supports. If she wants to surf the internet, the only browser with modern security certificates available for this unit is Netscape 4.08 and that requires OS 7.6.1. I did not have 7.6.1 available, and had to settle for 7.5.5 until Apple makes 7.6.1 a free download. Without modern security certificates you get complaint windows here and there on the web and some secure sites will not let you in at all.

The LC III has 4 meg on the motherboard and one memory expansion slot. Yours is empty, of coarse. You can use up to a 32 meg module according to Apple's reference. 72-pin SIMM, 80ns or better. Get at least an 8 meg module, more is better.

Any other LC III upgrade questions, please post. I just finished and sent her back with it two days ago.

The Wolfe
Jul 15, 2000, 03:15 PM

If you have a copy of System 7.1 ("Rock Solid") I'd use that. 7.6 hog lots of memory that the LC dosen't have to give up. Check out the memory prices for the LCIII on Memoryx.net, they have very good prices.

------------------
Eliott Wolfe
Winnetka, Calif

TheDoctor
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 15, 2000, 03:19 PM

Add a bit more memory and run OS 7.6.1. It's as fast as 7.1 and every bit as stable.

andi*pandi
Jul 19, 2000, 10:06 AM

My LCIII is running 7.5.5, i think, with additional 16MB RAM. I would recommend getting as much ram as you can--I had just 4 extra in it, and performance was slow. with 20 it's pretty good. I bet if you stocked it full it'd be zippy.

finboy (Tim Michael)
Jul 24, 2000, 08:38 AM

The LCIII will run too slow with 7.6.1. Max out the RAM, use 7.1 if you can get it, and turn OFF Virtual Memory.

I'm sure you can find some kind of browser that will update certificates and run with an older version of Mac OS. If not, try to run an older version of AOL's software, with the browser built in. AOL 3.0 will run on the 68030 chip.

drewman
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 30, 2000, 01:48 PM

Use iCab (www.icab.de) for you web browser. There is a 68k version. It is small and fairly fast.

drewman

Forum Links
Forum Rules