Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > A difference in Crucial memory?

A difference in Crucial memory?
the corporation
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 2, 2005, 08:57 PM

I just ordered a stock config dual 1.8 GHz Power Mac, and on Crucial's site they have two models listed, one with 4 DIMM slots and one with 8. The specs (PC3200 CL3) and prices are the same, but the product numbers aren't the same. I assume that's for their own reference purposes and that the RAM is identical, but I want to double-check.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 3, 2005, 05:30 PM

There's no reason to buy overpriced RAM from Crucial when there are a bunch of different sources for quality, name brand RAM. People get it into their heads that Crucial is THE PLACE to get RAM, and it simply is not true.

The reason why Crucial is listing two different DP 1.8 types - four slotted and eight slotted - is because originally the DP 1.8 had the eight slotted board. It does not matter, though, because you would be buying the same type of RAM for either system. Just make sure that you buy PC3200 non-EEC modules in pairs and install them in the correct slots, and everything will be fine.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2005, 06:22 PM

Originally posted by Big Mac:
There's no reason to buy overpriced RAM from Crucial when there are a bunch of different sources for quality, name brand RAM.
There's no reason to assume Crucial ram is overpriced, or even that you must buy it directly from Crucial. A quick check on Newegg lists a 512mb DDR400 Crucial module for $59. The same module from Corsair is $62, Mushkin is $59, OCZ is $76, and PDP is $57. I'd say that Crucial was inline with the rest. After paying a good amount for a G5, I would not recommend saving $5 or $10 by going with noname brand ram.

antiglobal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2005, 05:21 PM

No difference, I got 2 GB from Crucial (512 MB x 4) for my dual 1.8 for under $300. Works great.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2005, 11:02 AM

I always get good prices from www.macsales.com all ram is Apple certified...i've been buying from them since 2001
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

coitus
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2005, 02:43 PM

I have tracked memory on Ramseeker for several years. A friend suggest I try Data Memory Systems and I have used them ever since. They are one of the few companies that I've worked with that have very knowledgeable staff and cater to mac users. Excellent customer service, no hassel returns...check them out!

coitus

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 5, 2005, 03:02 PM

Originally posted by coitus:
I have tracked memory on Ramseeker for several years. A friend suggest I try Data Memory Systems and I have used them ever since. They are one of the few companies that I've worked with that have very knowledgeable staff and cater to mac users. Excellent customer service, no hassel returns...check them out!

coitus
I used to buy from DMS, until a module I purchased from them spontaneously went bad after a couple of years, which is not something RAM is supposed to do. They are a fine company to do business with if you're satisfied with generic RAM, but I no longer trust the generic stuff.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

SunSeeker
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2005, 09:39 PM

Where is the best place to get ram in Australia.
I am looking for 2x512MB Dimms for a new 1.8 G5
I have had a look on Crucial, and they are about $71 US$ each plus freight.
Also, as far as I can tell, I will be able to use these in addition to the existing 2x256 for a total 1.5GB. Is that correct?

Tia

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 6, 2005, 02:15 PM

Originally posted by Big Mac:
There's no reason to buy overpriced RAM from Crucial when there are a bunch of different sources for quality, name brand RAM. People get it into their heads that Crucial is THE PLACE to get RAM, and it simply is not true.
Their products are quality, they have a good shipping policy, and they back their products. Scott approves crucial ram, and uses it in all equipment. There's a reason for that.

slider
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2005, 03:59 PM

I had a problem with ram from 1-800-4-memory listed at ramseeker. I purchased their more pricey "hypermemory" brand for a bit more for my 1.25 PowerBook. I kept having problems with my machine, but I didn't know it was because of the ram at the time, I had order the new ram as soon as I ordered my PB, so were my problems b/c of the PB, the OS, or the ram. When I investigated the problems I was having on these forums I found that the PB was very picky about ram and others with PB were having the same problems and narrowed it down to ram. I ended up buying a 512 stick from crucial and low and behold, my problems went away. I attempted to contact 18004memory, they didn't bother responding. This was bothersome b/c I had purchased a lot of ram from them in the past and had been satisfied. Anyways, when I recommend ram to people these days, I direct folks to curcial for most ram needs. Yes, they are not the cheapest, but their ram works and they are far cheaper than Apples ram. If you're getting an eMac, you're probably still fine with the cheapest ram you can find. G5's and PB's, well, they are big ticket items, you should use quality ram from a place that knows what they are doing.

MORT A POTTY
Senior User
Mar 6, 2005, 05:29 PM

yeah, people tend to downplay the importance of RAM, when it's actually a vital part of the system and you shouldn't cheap out on it. finding good deals is one thing, but getting low-rent RAM can really backfire.

that being said, I've not had a bad experience with generic RAM, but I have name brand stuff now because I really need all 1.5GB of RAM and can't afford to replace a DIMM if it goes bad. Infineon and Viking are known for quality though, and I'm very impressed with their stuff thus far.

Forum Links
Forum Rules