Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Got first DVD Player, very noticable puase on layer swich need advice

Got first DVD Player, very noticable puase on layer swich need advice
Mac Write
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2002, 07:01 PM

ok, I got a Toshiba DVD SD3800 DVD Player, and on "Harry Potter," "Speed,' Speed II" during the layer switch, the DVD puases for well over 1 seconds. I have exchanged the DVD Player once, and tried the DVD's on the Store DVD Player, and it still happens.

They said it's the software (DVD) and nothing can be done about it.

I bought 10 DVD's already, and at this point I want to return it and forget about DVD. but Back to the Future Complete Trilogy is comming to DVD, and I really want it. but if I am paying 2x-3x the price for q movie to get the DVD and it has this noticable puase, I don't know if I want to go DVD at this point.

I can still get a refund for the DVD player if I want to.

So what should I do? this pause is really pissing me off. If you have these movies, here are the times at which the pause happens, can you try them on your DVD Player and report back if it happens?
  • Harry Potter 01:13:39
  • Speed 00:55:08
  • Speed II: 01:21:14
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2002, 07:10 PM

Some videos have noticeable layer switches, some don't.

And some players react better to them than others... I don't think this is an "error" if the one your first got, the replacement, and the display model all do the same thing.

Try the DVDs in some other DVD players. See what happenes.

-Owl

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2002, 07:24 PM

Ok, I just looked at my copy of Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone. (Wide-screen o'course).

The layer switch is evident, when the cut from quirrl to the Trol growling. Though my switch is just a small hick-up.

I have a GE Proscan Player, one of their first. (The ID number is on the back, I don't wanna pull it out, too much spaghetti back there)

Also, for those who don't know what layer switches are: DVDs can have to layers of data on them and when the player gets to the end of the data on one, it switches to the other. The Player needs to refocus the laser to see through the one at the other. This refocus causes the pause. Most times the switch is put at the end of a chapter, or between two shots that it wont be so noticeable. In HP's case, it was put in a badish spot. They prolly had to though do to the movies length.

Dunno bout Speed and Speed II, I don't have them.

New DVD player Mac Write? Get Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring! Most importantly the SE edition thats coming out soon.

Oh, and always get wide-screen, you will be happy you did in the future. (And its great to have it now)

-Owl

[edit: Very sorry bout the spelling mistakes and such]
( Last edited by OwlBoy; Nov 1, 2002 at 07:44 PM. )

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 1, 2002, 07:37 PM

I have a Toshiba as well, they all do that.

The only way around it is shelling out for a $400 DVD player (instead of a $180) and get one with a large video buffer.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2002, 07:46 PM

yup my PS2 and my toshiba also has the hickup, i don't mind, the pros still out way the cons for DVDs so I am happy

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2002, 08:25 PM

i have a sony dvp-ns315 and it never lags... i dont have any of said DVDs, but if i were you i would try the sony and take those dvds back and get some good ones

hayesk
Nov 1, 2002, 10:15 PM

Originally posted by olePigeon:
I have a Toshiba as well, they all do that.

The only way around it is shelling out for a $400 DVD player (instead of a $180) and get one with a large video buffer.
I have a Toshiba SD2800, and I rarely notice a layer change. Less than half a second when I do.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2002, 10:19 PM

i've had sony, toshiba and h/k...a movie's layer switch is handled different by every manufacuture. even within sony (i have 2 right now, 1st gen player and a 3rd gen), its different. its life.

however, movie houses are aware of and _try_ to put them in places that won't be noticed...at chapter switches, during scenes that don't have a lot of movement (like the knife scene in the picnic table in T2).

as posted in another thread a while back...i have quite the collection, well over 300 now...and to be honest, less than a dozen are bad enough that it bugs me.

you just happen to be picking movies that either do to poor authoring, or too much material, it happens.

(and the comment about a $400 player over a $180 player, doesn't matter). my new h/k is worse on some layer switches than my $129 sony for the same movie.

:XI:
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2002, 10:23 PM

Well, I've not really noticed the pauses on my PS2 or my mac. In fact I just sat through K-PAX on my PS2 and didn't notice the pause at all (I might have nodded off though�)

Mac Write  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2002, 11:30 PM

Thanks for the info. Any else notice this?

I will be asking for the Back to the Future Complete Trilogy for X-mas (hence going DVD even though I am seveer debt), and also for Music of the Heart (2 Hours 15 minutes).

I CAN"T find it in the Jerry Mcgire DVD. Can anyone find it?

someone else I spoke to says they never see a layer switch.

I timed it on Speed and it was 1.5-2 seconds.
--Stephen King

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2002, 12:52 AM

Originally posted by Mac Write:
Thanks for the info. Any else notice this?

I will be asking for the Back to the Future Complete Trilogy for X-mas (hence going DVD even though I am seveer debt), and also for Music of the Heart (2 Hours 15 minutes).

I CAN"T find it in the Jerry Mcgire DVD. Can anyone find it?

someone else I spoke to says they never see a layer switch.

I timed it on Speed and it was 1.5-2 seconds.
Another Back to the Future fan! sweet!

-Owl

Mac Write  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2002, 01:24 AM

Originally posted by OwlBoy:

Another Back to the Future fan! sweet!

-Owl
Check out the un-offical Back to the Future site?

over 10 hours of extra's on the DVD, oh and I video taped I and II from Mvoie Central, but they ain't airing III.

So anyone not having this DVD pause problem? I have high standards, and DVD is disappointing me.
--Stephen King

Cipher13
Nov 2, 2002, 02:29 AM

Check out the un-offical Back to the Future site?

over 10 hours of extra's on the DVD, oh and I video taped I and II from Mvoie Central, but they ain't airing III.

So anyone not having this DVD pause problem? I have high standards, and DVD is disappointing me.
Yeah, okay.

Hmmm.

Horrible quality, with sequential read... or great quality, with random read, and a split second pause once per movie?

Gee, hard choice

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2002, 03:00 AM

You could quite possibly be the biggest nerd cry baby I have ever heard of. You want to return your DVD's, player and give up on DVD all together because your player takes 1.5 seconds to switch layers in a 2 hour movie!??!

Please tell me that you are either retarded, dateless or kidding.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Mac Write  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2002, 03:42 AM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
You could quite possibly be the biggest nerd cry baby I have ever heard of. You want to return your DVD's, player and give up on DVD all together because your player takes 1.5 seconds to switch layers in a 2 hour movie!??!

Please tell me that you are either retarded, dateless or kidding.
I never said I would return the DVD's.

DVD Players have been around for over 5 years, they claim to be better then VHS.

I can watch a 2 hour VHS without it pasuing, yet with DVD's that are 2 hours or longer, I get a noticable pause. DVD's still pause during layer switching after being around for 5 years. Hollywood should have easily solved this problem by now.

They could easily by now have put in a 5-15 second buffer in all DVD players that prevent this noticable puase.

Cry Baby? I am standing up for sub standard quality, when hollywood wants us to move to DVD's, and then don't do a good job of making the DVD of a movie and expect us to pay 2-3x the price of the VHS version of the movie for the DVD? sure it's better quality image, but is that worth 2-3x the price if they can't have the movie play without any pauses?
( Last edited by Mac Write; Nov 2, 2002 at 03:51 AM. )
--Stephen King

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2002, 03:52 AM

I've got the NAD T532 and I've never noticed any switching at all. Having said that, it retails at about �400 so is not the cheapest option.

If you want to spend some money I highly recommend it. Excelllent quality.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2002, 03:53 AM

Pause on layer switching? Who cares? To my mind, the benefits of DVDs over everything else more than make up for any few-second-long inconvenience.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 2, 2002, 04:01 AM

Originally posted by Mastrap:
I've got the NAD T532 and I've never noticed any switching at all. Having said that, it retails at about �400 so is not the cheapest option.

If you want to spend some money I highly recommend it. Excelllent quality.

Heh, like I said. If you don't want pauses get an expensive DVD player with a large video buffer.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2002, 04:14 AM

DVD Players have been around for over 5 years, they claim to be better then VHS.

I can watch a 2 hour VHS without it pasuing, yet with DVD's that are 2 hours or longer, I get a noticable pause. DVD's still pause during layer switching after being around for 5 years. Hollywood should have easily solved this problem by now.

They could easily by now have put in a 5-15 second buffer in all DVD players that prevent this noticable puase.

Cry Baby? I am standing up for sub standard quality, when hollywood wants us to move to DVD's, and then don't do a good job of making the DVD of a movie and expect us to pay 2-3x the price of the VHS version of the movie for the DVD? sure it's better quality image, but is that worth 2-3x the price if they can't have the movie play without any pauses?
One second pause, you are bitching over a one second pause
DVD's are better then VHS, VHS has no pause cuz the video quality sucks and so does the sound.

You want wicked quality then you have to live through that day spoiling 1 second pause.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Cipher13
Nov 2, 2002, 12:48 PM

Yes, it friggin' is worth it, by a long damn way.

ONE SECOND PAUSE... get real... seriously... who gives a ****? Maybe if it did that every 30 seconds or something...

Forum Links
Forum Rules