Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Oct 23rd?

Oct 23rd?
Marco_T1
Oct 16, 1999, 01:38 AM

If the final shipping product does not come out until the 23 of this month how do so many people have it already? From the shear number of "help me" posts it is obvious that you aren't develepers. I have been on hotline(there are some good servers, several clean servers that don't offer illegal software and offer tech support to anybody having a problem) and seen it around but did not care to download it. I have a T1 network connection and it probably would have taken about 4 hours to download it, I can only imagine it on a dial up connection.
One last note for those of you who have beta versions and wonder why you need to get the final official version there is one very important reason. If you want to use the "auto update" feature of OS9 you will need a legal copy, apple's not going to let a pirated beta to connect to its servers and update the system.

wlonh
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 1999, 01:59 AM

some copies got out early, some people DO have the GM of OS 9... there are various stories as to why this happened... but the bottom line is certainly that some people paid for a legitimate copy of OS 9 and are using it, Oct 23rd or not.

madgreek
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 16, 1999, 08:17 AM

Somehow copies of OS 9 got shipped by Apple too early and I am one of the lucky few. I read that 400 or so of us were shipped OS 9 before the mistake was caught by Apple.
Power Mac Quad G5 2.5GHz, OS X 10.4.10
===
Aluminum 23" HD Cinema Display
===
Aluminum 15" PowerBook G4 w/Superdrive
===
iPhone 8GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules