Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > audio recording software question

audio recording software question
anthonyvthc
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 2, 2004, 02:41 PM

Hi there. I recently bought an iBook 933/640/60 gig, mainly for recording, and also just for the portability. I have been a PC user for years and I wanted to have a more stable system, hence the mac purchase.
My question is this: which recording software would you guys recommend? I've heard good things about Cubase and Logic, but I am wondering which will give me the best performance on my system. I was a little disappointed by the performance of Garageband, which is a very basic program. It consumed so much system resource, that I am beginning to doubt my little white notebook. If this simple program does not run properly, will any of the high end software?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

heidilux
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 3, 2004, 02:45 PM

Garageband is the most processor intensive audio app I've ever used. Remember, Protools ran splendidly on the old PowerMacs. Anyway, the more professional apps are considerably better at going easy on the processor. That is not to say that you can't get it pegged using the latest Protools or Logic, but you CAN do a lot more before that happens. (Usually, it's the pluggins that'll get you there)

My advice: It depends on what kind of recording you want to do, and whether or not you own, or will be purchasing, recording hardware. I use Protools with the 001. The mBox is the laptop audio interface for protools. I've used Logic, though not since apple bought it. I don't know if they've made any changes. In my experience, Logic has a lot more shiney-ness to it. That may be graphical overkill if you're intending to run it on an iBook.

I've had nothing both success with Protools. And once you're fluent with it, Garageband is awful. I tried it once..... ....... once. It's good for what it is, but what it is, is not an alternative to protools.

Lots of rambling here. Hope it gives you some useful info. If not, ask me specific question.

Heidilux

booboo
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2004, 10:11 PM

I'm a Cubase user. Cubase SX is great - but not on the Mac, not at this juncture. Hopefully in a couple of revisions time, Mac users will have more efficiency and fewer bugs from the app.

If you're learning an app from scratch, go the Logic route. It is not only better value (with the bundled plug-ins) but it is also for stable (historically true) and much more efficient.

anthonyvthc  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 7, 2004, 05:30 PM

thanks for the input guys. I think I might go the logic route. I can get it pretty cheap with educational discount, and stability is a big selling point for me.

saddam hussein
Mar 16, 2004, 11:51 AM

Originally posted by anthonyvthc:
thanks for the input guys. I think I might go the logic route. I can get it pretty cheap with educational discount, and stability is a big selling point for me.
You'll like Logic. Try to get Pro if you can swing it.

More than worth the dinero.

Let me know if you have any questions.
"Satan, your ass is gigantic and red-
who am I supposed to pretend you are, Liza Minelli?"

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 18, 2004, 10:03 AM

Originally posted by anthonyvthc:
stability is a big selling point for me.
Logic 6 Platinum (getting Pro next week) has crashed on me ONCE. (I bought it when it came out.) That's a pretty damn good average.

Emagic are feeling the pain and pressure of having been bought out, though. They used to have 60 coders who'd all use - and thus test - the software on their own time and at the shop, as well, and since Apple bought them, they're down to seventeen. They're the best, true - but fewer people, more to do, and less money...

-s*

Forum Links
Forum Rules