Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Wouldn't you like streaming MP3s in QT?

Wouldn't you like streaming MP3s in QT?
47Ronin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 21, 1999, 11:15 PM

I know of many online radio stations that stream MP3s over the internet and tell their users to just type an URL into WinAmp. Quicktime Player should have the ability to stream this type of media also.. MacAmp can't open MP3 streams from the Net and neither can QT Player. I'm sure QT4 would take the public by storm if they could get onto these stations and play streaming MP3s (and QT4 audio streams also). Oh yeah, and QT Player needs a more intuitive favorites drawer with popup info or something.. are you with me?

------------------
Glenn
47 Ronin Multimedia
www.47ronin.com
Glenn
47 Ronin Multimedia
www.47ronin.com

miro7
Forum Regular
Apr 21, 1999, 11:47 PM

QT4 does stream MP3s, but only when the QT streaming server is available from what I understand. If you have a fast enough connection, then you can enjoy streaming as well over the net. When I click on an MP3 link, the QT plugin instantly starts ans begins the d/l. It works the same way that the QT3 player had the pseudo streaming, that when it gets to a point it will begin to stream. Good if you have a fast connect, but bad if you have a modem, as the file needs to be at about 90% complete before it begins to stream.
aimlessly wandering through the valley of the sun.

robbro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 21, 1999, 11:59 PM

Works like a charm for me...just throw an mp3 on a webserver and it will stream via http. Apple did a great job on that.

==Robb

47Ronin  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 22, 1999, 04:53 AM

Actually it doesn't seem to stream the content that appears on the mentioned page -- please tell me if I'm doing this wrong or what..
http://www.datagrid.com/~flipside/station/

Can QT4 Player stream those MP3s?

------------------
Glenn
47 Ronin Multimedia
www.47ronin.com
Glenn
47 Ronin Multimedia
www.47ronin.com

miro7
Forum Regular
Apr 22, 1999, 02:13 PM

http://www.datagrid.com/~flipside/station/

Can QT4 Player stream those MP3s?
That is a negative on this end. I think that the setup is specific to Winamp. I tried both a direct link as well as using the "open URL," from the file menu. Neither worked. I assume that there is some kind of negotiation that must occur before QT will stream MP3s.
aimlessly wandering through the valley of the sun.

scott
Apr 23, 1999, 06:26 AM

I believe there's a slight miscommunication here. MP3 radio shows are broadcast from Shoutcast servers.

WinAmp and X11Amp for Unix (though not MacAmp) have a feature that allow you to connect to a specific port that start streaming a -live- broadcast of MP3-compressed audio. That is, sometimes talk into a microphone, it gets encoded into the MP3 format, and it is sent over the internet on the fly.

This is not the same thing as a static MP3 file that is played as it is downloaded (streamed).

There is a free piece of software for Windows called <a href="http://www.mp3spy.com">MP3Spy</a> that allows one to search the net for live broadcasts from shoutcast servers, and choose what they'd like to listen to. The servers are divided up by music genres and talk radio.

If Apple would be nice enough to add a feature to connect to shoutcast servers, Mac users (with Virtual PC) could use MP3Spy to listen to high quality, live radio shows on the net.

- Scott

madoka
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 1999, 04:55 AM

I was also looking for a mp3 player that can play live streams, and I found StreamWorks from XingTech (http://www.xingtech.com). However, it doesn't seem to work, but I'm not sure if it's because of the firewall my school has, or something else. Can someone try it out and see what happens?
When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute--and it�s longer than any hour. That�s relativity.
-- Albert Einstein

Forum Links
Forum Rules