Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > How to import Outlook 8.2.1 address book?

How to import Outlook 8.2.1 address book?
47Ronin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 1999, 02:45 AM

Our corporation gets email through an MS Exchange Server, so our Macs have been using the Outlook 8.2.1 Exchange Server Edition for Macintosh. Frankly, it reeks of the Windows client. I'm trying to setup Outlook Express 5.0 as an alternative but there's no way to export address books from Outlook 8.2.1 as far as I can tell. Is this something that the admin has to send? We have groups like MSMAIL_USERS and the like which have hundreds of addresses but I can't add them to my OE client unless everyone sends me an email and I do it manually. Otherwise, OE is pretty good and is _much_ more "Mac-like" than Outlook 8.2.1. It sometimes has a problem connecting to the mail server (dogbert) when I have it scheduled for automatic checking every 5 minutes. It flashes the icon in the menu bar as if I have a new message, when in fact it's just a mail error.

------------------
Glenn
47 Ronin Multimedia
www.47ronin.com
Glenn
47 Ronin Multimedia
www.47ronin.com

beverson
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 18, 2000, 05:42 PM

Don't know if you've resolved your problem yet, but I do the same thing here at our office (current version of Outlook for Mac blows).

I was able to import e-mail lists on a limited basis by doing this: log on to Outlook on a Windows workstation, and export your list as a text file (probably .csv or something, I don't remember). Then import that into the OE 5 address book. You'll probably have to clean it up a bit -- mine had extraneous quote marks all over the place.

It's quite an imperfect solution, but with a little time you can make it work reasonably well, and at least better than the current version of Outlook.

Forum Links
Forum Rules