Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac OS 9 Sound Problems on new iMac

Mac OS 9 Sound Problems on new iMac
Savvy
Oct 31, 1999, 09:11 PM

Has anyone that has installed OS 9 on the new iMac DV had problems with sound latency? Everything was great with 8.6 that came preinstalled with the machine, but when I upgraded to the new OS, all sounds are about 2 seconds behind. DVD's are completely unwatchable, and Quake 3 is nearly impossible. Bugdom and SoundJam I have also tried, and they too showed the same problem. I have reverted the Sound Manager too the version that came with the computer, but it was no help. I also did a clean install of 8.6, and everything was fine again. Arg! I would like to be able to use 9, but if a fix can not be found, there is no way I will be able to stick with it

Thanks

jkerzon
Nov 1, 1999, 12:48 AM

I just posted the same problem right behind your's! But I'm using Mac OS 8.6, so I'm surprised ot hear reverting to 8.6 from 9 solved the problem! My problem still exists even after restoring the original 8.6 OS installation.

I've searched this iMac forum, but have not found any other postings regarding this issue and/or resolution.

-jon

moderator says:

GO HERE and read all the posts to your thread: http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/Forum5/HTML/000601.html

and see this: http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/Forum5/HTML/000462.html

search? maybe you did, but NOT well.

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 11-01-1999).]

Savvy
Nov 1, 1999, 02:14 AM

I thought I would clairify that my problem isn't with the DVD playback in that it starts out fine, and then loses sync (which it does, but that is not what I am refering to), but rather, ALL sounds are 2 seconds behind where they should be. With 8.6, sounds are fine, in OS 9, then are 2 seconds late. Hope thats more clear.

47Ronin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 1999, 03:09 AM

Do you have virtual memory enabled? I know that VM always slows down interface response time (and causes sound to occur "late").
Glenn
47 Ronin Multimedia
www.47ronin.com

Paul Wood
Nov 1, 1999, 06:24 AM

I have an iMac DV SE. I am new to DVDs, so I have purchased three to start with.

On MacOS8.6 all three DVDs work, although they are much quieter than playing a CD, and one gets out of sync as the film progresses.

On MacOS9.0 plus the DVD software from MacOS8.6 only one DVD works - its a single layer flipper and it does not go out of sync. The other two DVDs are rejected with a bad or dirty surface error message - they are both dual layer.

Also under MacOS9.0, when speaking text, some syllables are omitted from words.

I just thought I'd add my symptoms on sound problems to the list. I'll try Bugdom tonight to see if that s problem as well

wlonh
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 1999, 08:49 AM

jkerzon, read Savvy's problem again.

it is NOT the same as yours, his problem is SYSTEM WIDE according to his post.

YOURS is DVD-related, according to YOUR post here: http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/Forum5/HTML/000601.html

AND, you should note that there is a thread that discusses YOUR problem, jkerzon, it is posted to the topic you started.

smaffei
Banned
Nov 4, 1999, 12:21 AM

It's VM. I have OS 9.0 installed on my iMac DV. I turned on VM to run Quake 3 (the 75Mb pig). Then, I noticed that sounds in other games were delayed by a sec or two.

Does this happen under 8.6? I'm not sure (because I almost never use VM). This doesn't happen on my G3/266 at work (where I must use VM and OS 9 for coding purposes). Or, is this an iMac DV issue with VM (happens with 8.6 also).

If it doesn't happen in 8.6, I'll downgrade from 9. Is anybody running 8.6 on an iMac DV with VM on and not getting the sound delay?

[This message has been edited by smaffei (edited 11-03-1999).]

trusttom
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 1999, 02:41 AM

I experienced the exact same problem. I upgraded to Mac OS 9 almost immediately after picking up my DV/SE. Unfortunately, I cannot say if the problem existed before I upgraded to 9.

I experienced the latency with games, Quicktime movies (I noticed the problem playing the Phantom Menace trailer), and even system beeps.

Downgrading to 8.6 solved the problem.

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 4, 1999, 03:48 AM

This is one of those bugs, that everyone knows exist, but apple. The machine and OS are still pretty fresh, so give them awhile to come up with a fix (software id suspect) as for now, I guess all we can do is grin and bear it.

------------------
-See Yea!

iomatic
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 1999, 04:26 AM

i don't have the sound-lag problem. stock imac dv se, w/ os 9. dvd's seem quieter though, than system-wide sounds.

btw, the quality of DVD on a computer vs. surround+bigscreen tv is such a wide gap. still, it's nifty.

-j

Savvy
Nov 4, 1999, 07:29 AM

After playing around, I also found it to be VM that was causing the latency. Apple must have changed something involving VM with OS 9 though, as I had VM on all the time in 8.6, and had no problems with sound, but from what I've seen, VM on an iMac DV with OS 9 is a "bad idea." Hopefully, there will be a fix of somesort soon, because I _really_ hate a feature downgrade

Forum Links
Forum Rules