Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > If you're a fan of 80's music...

If you're a fan of 80's music...
iM@k
Senior User
Jul 6, 2010, 12:29 AM

***DISCLAIMER - I'm in now way affiliated, associated, friends, or family of said band***

....then you have to check out Rock Sugar.

A guy at a 4th of July party introduced me to them. They mix the songs of 80's hairbands with 80's pop songs. I know it sound like it's be a bad combo, but the end results sound awesome (IMHO).

You can find examples of their songs on YouTube (Their not on iTunes yet, but I hope they are soon)

Their site (rocksugarband.com) has funny tongue-in-cheek explanation of how they came to be. However there's another YouTube clip where they talk about how they really came together by chance.

'Shook me like a Prayer' is my favorite so far. Though I really I like 'Dreaming of a whole lotta Breakfast' too.

BTW: great party game: play these songs for the drunkest poeple and ask them to name them
What, me worry?

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 6, 2010, 12:51 AM

Do they know any Seona Dancing?

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

iM@k  (op)
Senior User
Jul 6, 2010, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
Do they know any Seona Dancing?
I don't think so, this is more their style: YouTube - Rock Sugar - Shook Me Like A Prayer
What, me worry?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 6, 2010, 09:09 AM

YouTube - Rock Sugar - Round And Separated

I posted something on these guys a few months ago, but no one seemed to care.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 6, 2010, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
I posted something on these guys a few months ago, but no one seemed to care.
Maybe, just maybe, because when all's said and done they're just a karaoke band?
Why would you want to listen to that when you can listen to the latest Pretty Maids or Axel Rudi Pell?
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2010, 09:39 AM

i'm a fan of 80s music; but not either of those genres

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 6, 2010, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Maybe, just maybe, because when all's said and done they're just a karaoke band?
Why would you want to listen to that when you can listen to the latest Pretty Maids or Axel Rudi Pell?
Well, Rock Sugar does have a really good vocalist and a Grammy winning drummer. I'm not saying they're great, but they are entertaining and do put on a good live show (which is something very few bands can pull off).
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

-Q-
Jul 6, 2010, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
I think they're a bit more than that. Anyone can just cover a song. It does take some talent to blend two dissimilar songs into something else. I don't typically like mash-ups, but I do enjoy these.

Because they entertain two different mindsets.

Forum Links
Forum Rules