Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Do Apple stores have 20" on display yet ?

Do Apple stores have 20" on display yet ?
Krusty
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2003, 01:00 AM

Well, this thread is probably a tad premature ... but, as soon as someone sees one in the flesh, I'd love to hear your impressions (or see pics) of it.

kanker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 20, 2003, 05:32 PM

I saw one yesterday in the Indianapolis Apple store. As ridiculous as a 20" iMac sounds, once you see it in person, as with just about every Apple product, you want one. They had it sitting next to a 17" ( like the one I'm typing on now) and what used to seem like a large screen suddenly looked inadequate. It's got just enough WOW to it that people will buy it without thinking the whole thing through.

r��ts
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2003, 12:44 AM

I just came back from Apple Store in Burlingame, CA and they have two 20" iMac on display. My first impression is that the thing is awesome. The screen is very easy to adjust and it just glides smoothly.

I didn't find the 20" screen out of proportion like some other posters said. The base was very heavy though. They must've put a dead weight in there just to prevent it from tipping over.

Maquero
Nov 21, 2003, 12:43 PM

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2003, 07:51 PM

The guys in dorm don't get why I want one... but I do...

Krusty  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2003, 07:57 PM

Originally posted by Maquero:
Right on, dude. Thanks for the pics. It doesn't look too weird in pictures. Can't wait to go look at one myself sometime soon

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2003, 08:02 PM

David wants...

Krusty  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2003, 08:11 PM

Originally posted by Superchic[k]en:
David wants...
Me too ... fortunately, I can't afford one right now. By the time I can afford one it will (hopefully) be on revision B ... maybe a bit cheaper, maybe a G5 (or much faster g4), and maybe some other nifty upgrade or form factor. BUT .. hopefully the fact that Apple is making the 20 means that they will continue to do so for a while.

BTW, who's David ... or would it be Da[v]id ?

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 23, 2003, 07:25 PM

Originally posted by Maquero:

damn...that is one large screen...makes the base look tiny

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

dannyillusion
Forum Regular
Nov 24, 2003, 10:11 AM

That's it!
I'm getting one...
DI

csimon2
Nov 24, 2003, 04:16 PM

I saw one at my local CompUSA last night. I have always liked the previous 15" and 17" iMacs before, but this new 20" model is just freakin' awesome! It doesn't look disproportionate at all, in fact I think it looks even more proportional that the previous displays. The 15" has always struck me w/ being too small, and the 17" too wide. This 20" seems to have the perfect balance. I could also be saying this because I work on a 20" 4:3 LCD everyday, and am therefore very used to it.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2003, 06:04 PM

I'm amazed... I saw one this past weekend at the local Apple Store. I couldn't get over the size of the screen. I was inches away from pulling out the CC, but remembered that my girlfriend made me keep it at home (smart girl).

I would say that screen size is becoming more of an issue for average users. Speed has little or nothing to do for people that type 90% of the day or surf the web.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2003, 06:08 PM

Originally posted by Superchic[k]en:
The guys in dorm don't get why I want one... but I do...
It's probably because they don't have a little thing called "style" or an appetite for well built hardware and software.

I have Windows users begging to borrow my PowerBook. Whenever I bring my system around people start bugging me about either how cool it is, or how gay it is.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2003, 11:07 PM

I am going to Woodfield Mall to see theirs tomorrow....I think as previously posted by somebody else, I'll leave my CC at home! Very, very tempting....

SSharon
Professional Poster
Nov 27, 2003, 08:48 AM

we must be the only group of people in the world that are so tempted by apple that we need to leave our CC at home. I couldn't dream of a pc user having to do the same to go see some new product.

that 20" screen does look great at least if I can't buy it now there is a new apple store less than a mile from my house.

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 27, 2003, 08:59 PM

Saw one at the Apple Store in South Jersey.

The machine is incredible. Makes the 17 look a little small actually.

I would love to have one, though it would kill me in about 5 years, when I couldn't keep using that gorgeous 20" display after I upgraded-

Lee
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

funkboy
Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2003, 01:24 AM

Originally posted by SSharon:
we must be the only group of people in the world that are so tempted by apple that we need to leave our CC at home. I couldn't dream of a pc user having to do the same to go see some new product.
We're the only group of people who would make a special trip to go *see* the new product by Apple.

Heck, we're one of the few groups of people who would go to see a new product announced by *any* company. Does Gateway, Dell, etc. have a fan following like that? IBM? The only comparable thing may be car makers, with people checking out the new year's models sometimes.

Hannah W
Forum Regular
Nov 28, 2003, 01:33 AM

I haven't seen one yet, but they look stunning in the pictures!

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2003, 01:30 PM

The visual design evolution of the iMac has always favored the display over the "guts" of the computer. The original iMac was just a monitor, keyboard and mouse... with a computer hidden in there. The original flat panel iMac had the computer (gumdrop) sharing equal time with the display. The 20" is just reasserting the display's dominance in the over all visual design. Seems like a natural progression, imho.

Makes me wonder what the next generation/ form factor iMac will be. Consider the possibility of a return to the original iMac. If the original iMac was essentially a laptop encased in a CRT monitor... why not do this again. Imagine a Power Book internals seemsly grafted into an Apple cinema display. USB 2.0, Firewire 400 & 800, phone and ethernet on the bottom back of the monitor, slot loading superdrive on the edge, mounted vertically. You could have a 20" or 23" iMac that was perhaps 1" thicker than an existing cinema display.

I'd be geeked. Imagine, a huge honking 23" high def cinema display with a keyboard and a mouse sitting on your desktop... nothing else. That's be trick.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2003, 06:41 PM

iamwhor3hay

Krusty  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 1, 2003, 04:50 PM

Originally posted by MrForgetable:
Holy COW !! That thing looks absolutely beautiful.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2003, 03:00 PM

YES... in the Bellevue Square AppleStore.

The 20-inch iMac is the best iMac ever. I love it. However, I have a PowerMac FW800 and 17" Studio Display in front of me.

MoontaMacman
Forum Regular
Dec 6, 2003, 07:14 AM

I walked into the Apple dealer in Adelaide (South Australia) yesterday to check it out - with no intention of buying it - just curious - they had two on display and two for sale - long and short the wife loved it, I was mildly infatuated, and an hour later or thereabouts we were loading it into the car for the 100 mile drive home - an early birthday present from the wife- how do I put up with her ?javascript:smilie('')

Tony Hawk (?-skating game doesn't work- not that I care I am not a gamer) Deimos Rising also only in small display - I saw it full screen in the store - the Sound Studio looks fascinating- I want to work with that more , the iMovie is brilliant to use on the large screen , similarly Photoshop and on the net I can have my 2 browsers open plus the email all at hand - I run iCab and Safari simultaneously -iCab for saving pages - Safari for displaying pages more accurately.
The only problem was last night I elected to trial .Mac and that messed up my email sending until I deleted the .Mac option - no idea why but at about $200Aus per year I doubt I'll ever want to use that anyway.
Other than that , so far , it is sweet - and the wife is happy to use my old G4 desktop with the 17" LCD for her writing

Ron

got some work to do transferring files - got a friend coming to check out my 15" 700Mhz iMac tomorrow
http://home.iprimus.com.au/alenka_ron

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2003, 09:58 AM

Ron, congrats on that new iMac.

Any pics of your new setup?

I'm sure you're gonna like it. Have fun!

joshmv
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2003, 02:57 AM

I work at a university computer store that specializes in macs and i got to set up ours about 2 days ago. When I first unpacked it I thought the screen was oversized but after a couple hours I couldn't even think about putting the 15 or 17" back out. It's an awesome computer and I would really recommend it. Watching movies at work is now almost as fun as when we had the 23" display with a dual 2ghz g5

GSMarquis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2003, 12:50 PM

Ok, i admit i want one. There is only one thing that comes to mind though.....i had to spring for a new screen on my 17inch imac and it cost me around 400.00.......i wonder how much a 20inch replacment would be.
imac 17inch, G4-1GHZ, 786MG, OS

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 7, 2003, 02:06 PM

Originally posted by GSMarquis:
i wonder how much a 20inch replacment would be.
I don't know exactly, but certainly AppleCare would be cheaper.

mamamia
Dec 10, 2003, 08:27 PM

if apple would upgrade the power of the machine to match the beauty of the display, i would buy this in a heartbeat. I just can't stomach the thought of spending money on a 1.25ghz g4 now, never mind using it a two or three years from now. i'm sure there are thousands of people like me, just holding off until a more powerful version comes out. i hope apple understands that it is the ery weak price/performance ratio that is holding sales of the imac back, not the form factor.

if apple doesn't come out with a 2.0ghz g5 imac in february or march, then they they don't know what's good for them.
funky bitch

Forum Links
Forum Rules