Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Got a 30" warranty replaced.. But I think its a store demo display...Questions

Got a 30" warranty replaced.. But I think its a store demo display...Questions
trevorM
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2005, 01:37 AM

I finally returned my 30" Cinema Display HD which had a serious issue. And before I knew it I had a replacement model.

Funny thing is, my new replacement, looks like its been used (Splashes and fingerprints on it) and it came in the box and packaging that I delivered my old display in and uses my old power adapter etc. Furthermore, I got no new documentation or anything..

Is this what I should expect or should it be brand new in a new box with new documentation etc?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
T!
Apple Powermac G5: Dual 1.85GHz | 80Gb System | 3Gb Ram | GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL | BT | Airport | Apple 30" Cinema HD Display Apple Powerbook AL G4: 12" | 1.5Ghz | 60b System | 1.25Gb Ram | Airport | BT Other: Airport Express | Airport Extreme | TiG4 PB 800Mhz | 20" iMac G5 w/ built in iSight | Swivel Screen iMac G4 800Mhz | iPod Mini | iPod Nano | Maxtor One Touch 250GB | Sony Ericsson T630

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2005, 12:02 PM

Complain. You should get a new unit.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2005, 12:16 PM

Warranty replacement - at least here in Germany - is *entirely* up to the manufacturer.

I know that Apple here only classifies units as DOA and thus replaceable by a factory-new unit if they break and are returned within the first ten days.

And it's quite possible that you DID get a new unit. The peripheral stuff - the packaging, the power adapter, documentation - were not broken and did not need replacing.

It would make perfect sense, when replacing a defective unit, to TEST the replacement unit to see if it exhibits the same problem, no? Prints get on things when they're tested.

-s*

flanders
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2005, 01:10 PM

It sounds okay if you indeed did get warranty replacement (unlike an exchange in the first ten days). Under warranty, at least here in the US, the manufacturer can either repair or replace at their descretion so you may have just received a different display also returned on warranty and repaired. Yours will at some point probably also go out to someone else when it's repaired as well. Usually, in these cases, the serial number will have some sort of indication that it's a refurb or repaired unit but i'm not sure if Apple does that for warranty work. I really don't think it's a store demo though.
MBP C2D 2.16Ghz 15" Matte, 2GB RAM

CatOne
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2005, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by trevorM
I finally returned my 30" Cinema Display HD which had a serious issue. And before I knew it I had a replacement model.

Funny thing is, my new replacement, looks like its been used (Splashes and fingerprints on it) and it came in the box and packaging that I delivered my old display in and uses my old power adapter etc. Furthermore, I got no new documentation or anything..

Is this what I should expect or should it be brand new in a new box with new documentation etc?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
T!
Replacement units do not come in brand new retail packaging. You won't get extra cables, documentation, etc., -- you will get back what you sent in, in terms of inventory. As for whether it's new or fixed/... I don't know -- it's up to Apple's discretion, so long as they give you a perfectly working unit.

As to the "you should get a brand new product" comment -- because why, you think so? Sheesh

trevorM  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 27, 2005, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by CatOne
As to the "you should get a brand new product" comment -- because why, you think so? Sheesh
As to that comment smarta$$ read my post and comprehend it before commenting. Sheesh
Apple Powermac G5: Dual 1.85GHz | 80Gb System | 3Gb Ram | GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL | BT | Airport | Apple 30" Cinema HD Display Apple Powerbook AL G4: 12" | 1.5Ghz | 60b System | 1.25Gb Ram | Airport | BT Other: Airport Express | Airport Extreme | TiG4 PB 800Mhz | 20" iMac G5 w/ built in iSight | Swivel Screen iMac G4 800Mhz | iPod Mini | iPod Nano | Maxtor One Touch 250GB | Sony Ericsson T630

Link
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2005, 04:28 AM

Since I can hardly wait to see it happen, here goes:

Apple's warranty states they may use refurbished parts or replacement machines to replace/fix defective machines. Aint that awesome? You pay $3000 for a top of the line monitor and YES, apple owes you no equal or better, they can give you whatever the hell they want, as long as it works "within spec".

I've heard of this one before, someone buys a new imac, it doesn't work, apple says they'll replace it and instead of doing the decent thing they send the customer a refurb, sometimes cosmetically abused by the previous owner too.

So you end up with something that's not only used but previously broken too.

I have a REAL problem with that myself, so I tend to give them a huge piece of my mind when they try to pull it.
Aloha

CatOne
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2005, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by trevorM
As to that comment smarta$$ read my post and comprehend it before commenting. Sheesh
I agree, if the product you received was in crap condition (obvious wear and tear) then you should complain. The product should be in "like new" condition -- whether it is a refurb or whether it's a brand new product. If there are obvious dings and scratches, on your $3000 monitor, you should contact Apple.

What I'm saying is that Apple is within their rights to send refurbished products (or, heck, replace the parts in yours) for replacement warranty products -- read the warranty statement. These replacement parts need to be in "like new" condition, though -- if not, you should have it addressed.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2005, 09:42 PM

Yes. Getting a "refurbished" unit as a replacement is one thing, getting a unit with fingerprints and splash marks on the screen (as if it came right off the sales floor) is something completely different.

Refurbished means cleaned, inspected (and faulty parts replaced), and given a new serial number - yes, it will be a "special" refurbished serial #. Taking a dirty unit off the sales floor is not a refurbished unit.

Forum Links
Forum Rules