Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > It Just works does it???

It Just works does it???
harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2005, 12:12 PM

Hi i'm new here so im not really sure how things around here work, but heres my problem, wondered if anyone could help?

My school have recently bought a new powermac G5 single core 1.8, with a 20" cinema display and final cut pro to be used for lots of video editing. I will be one of the people allowed to use the shiny new mac, all be it irrelivant telling you this!

Well my first complaint is although we were told 'ships with Tiger', the new mac actually arrived with OS X Panther 10.3.9, and no upgrade disc to Tiger. So that was dissapointment number 1.

Second problem is with the stability of the Mac. It is forever crashing! The only thing that has been installed on it after we recieved it was FCP, and although it would open, it constantly crashed the mac, and now the darn app wont even open at all! So after spending 2 whole days capturing video to the external Lacie 1TB HD, we now cant access it! I have had to bring home the footage and do the whole project on windows movie maker as it was urgent that it was done quickly.

Has anyone else had any of these problems, as any help would be much appreciated.

liquidtrance123
Forum Regular
Jun 28, 2005, 12:21 PM

Did you add any ram yourself?
Are you getting Kernel Panics or is FCP just crashing?
No other hardware was added, the machine is stock from apple?
You should also be able to send for a Tiger disc if it was bought around the time of the Tiger release.
(Powermac) 2x 2.0Ghz / 2560MB DDR400 / Radeon x800xt / 2x 36GB Raptors (Raid 0)
20" Apple Cinema Display

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2005, 12:23 PM

How much ram? Your school will be entitled to a copy of Tiger. Usually sent in after the fact. Do a clean install, make sure there's enough ram and it should work fine.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

harrisjamieh  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2005, 12:39 PM

Sorry forgot to include the spec: 2 gig RAM, 250 gig HD, everything else standard as shipped with powermac 1.8 ghz. Both the RAM upgrade & HD upgrade were factory fitted, the mac has not been opened since we have had it.

The machine is not crashing, it is just FCP that starts up with theopening screen and then just closes itself before fully loading.

The machine was bought about 6 weeks ago, and for some odd reason it took 6 weeks to be delivered, although it still should have shipped with Tiger as Tiger was released well before 6 weeks ago. I have spoken to apple and they seem reluctant to send a new Tiger disc

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 28, 2005, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
although it still should have shipped with Tiger as Tiger was released well before 6 weeks ago. I have spoken to apple and they seem reluctant to send a new Tiger disc

The buyer (school in this case) is entitled to a copy of Tiger. Here.. check the link for an antidose of reluctancy

http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/

harrisjamieh  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2005, 01:43 PM

Thanks for the help guys, one last ques, i know this isnt the mac min forum but im looking to get a mac mini, do you rekon thers a high chance of that arriving with panther or should it come with tiger?

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 28, 2005, 01:47 PM

It doesnt matter if it comes with Panther. You just send the form that is on the link above and for 9 usd you get a copy of Tiger. But for you peace of mind, there's been mac minis that come with Tiger since around 2-3 weeks now. If you don't like getting into the trouble of getting into the mac up to date program you might want to ask the store people if any particular mini has Tiger or Panther. It usually carries a sticker with the contents and there should read which OS has preinstalled.

regards

flanders
Forum Regular
Jun 28, 2005, 02:26 PM

both of the macs i've purchased since Tiger was released, a mini and a 2.0DP, both came with the Tiger upgrade disk in the box--both running 10.3.9 from the factory. The mini was even purchased the week after the Tiger release so I was a bit surprised to see it in there. If you didn't get one, as others have said, just send in the card and you should get it in the mail.
MBP C2D 2.16Ghz 15" Matte, 2GB RAM

discotronic
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2005, 02:58 PM

Have you updated FCP? You might want to post in the Applications forum or do a search there to see if it is a know problem.

I recently got a PM 1.8 and it came with Panther installed. I did get the Tiger update disk with it though. This was only a couple weeks after Tiger was released.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2005, 11:21 PM

What version of FCP are you running ? The requirements for FCP 5.x state that Quicktime 7.0 is required. If your machine came with 10.3.9, it may also have shipped with Quicktime 6.5 instead of the recently released QuickTime 7.0. If you installed a new copy of FCP 5 on a system w/o QT 7, you might experience problems.

Incidentally, 10.3.9 was released on 4/15/05 and QT 7.0 was released 2 weeks later on 4/29/05. If your machine happened to be built in that window of time, its possible you got 10.3.9 + Quicktime 6.5.

Easiest way to check is just fire up Quicktime and check under the Quicktime Player menu and choose 'About Quicktime Player'. It should show you what version you're on. Update QT if you need to and see if it helps.

doucy2
Senior User
Jun 29, 2005, 12:06 AM

forget about tiger right now there are yet too many bugs to work out
at the moment you are better off running 10.3.9 on your mac
thats what i'm running of all 3 my macs
i'll upgrade to tiger prob when they come out with version 10.4.2 or later

harrisjamieh  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2005, 01:39 AM

Thanks for all the help guys, i never thought of checking the quicktime version but i will do that when i get into school today. Also i will try a re-install of Final cut studio 5, as i dont know how it is with mac but with pc this usally sorts most probs.

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 29, 2005, 02:57 AM

Crashing on a new computer sounds like a hardware problem to me, maybe bad RAM or a bad logic board.

Chinasaur
Senior User
Jun 29, 2005, 07:04 AM

Shouldn't this be moved to applications?
iMac - Late 2015 iMac, 32GB RAM
MacBook - 2010 MacBook, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM

Forum Links
Forum Rules