Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > What should I get to use my PB as a desktop replacement?

What should I get to use my PB as a desktop replacement?
KeilwerthSX90R
Forum Regular
Oct 10, 2005, 09:00 PM

I'm thinking of selling my Desktop and using my PB as a desktop replacement and I was wondering what accessories I should be look at. I would be using a monitor (ADC or DVI), USB keyboard, Firewire HD, iPod, speakers, etc. Is there a good dock for the Al. PBs? I have a 17".

Also, are there any good external DVD burners out there that work with iTunes for CDs and iDVD for DVDs?

Anything else I should be thinking about?

Thanks,
Josh

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 10, 2005, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by KeilwerthSX90R
Also, are there any good external DVD burners out there that work with iTunes for CDs and iDVD for DVDs?
For a burner I like the Pioneer DVR-110D... supported by OS X, fastest burner speeds available, supports all the DVD formats except DVD-RAM, lets you set the booktype, and it's $45 at Newegg. Find an enclosure you like with an Oxford (911/912/922) chipset, should be $30-40.

mad cow disease
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 11, 2005, 02:34 AM

Griffin iCurve?

iREZ
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2005, 04:48 PM

a mouse!!!...if i were you, id go with wireless keyboard n mouse...they made my 'desktop' a dream
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Dougmc
Forum Regular
Oct 11, 2005, 04:54 PM

I find having a nice, small computer cart has been nice. I can set up shop at various locations in my house by simply rolling it wherever I want. Mine has a keyboard tray, and a couple of shelves that make it pretty handy. It was actually designed to place a desktop tower on a small shelf to one side of the cart, but I've found that that space is perfect for me to keep my backpack on.

You can also look at the forum post that people have posted photos of their various setups. There are some pretty nice systems people have built themselves based on having the PowerBook as a desktop replacement.
17" PowerBook (delivered 4/2/2003) | www.mcschooler.com

Kenstee
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 11, 2005, 05:47 PM

I'd reco:
- Matias tactilepro keyboard (best one out there IMHO)
- Kensignton Turbo Mouse Trackball (I prefer trackballs over a mouse)
- Monitors. Dell makes some great monitors in their UltraSharp Line (in fact some excellent deals right now using Dell coupons. See dealmac.com for details.)
- Speakers. Tough one. Listen to as many as you can. After trial and many errors settled for the Klipsch 2.1 THX.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 11, 2005, 11:05 PM

Check out the PB setup thread. Lots of ideas there.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

KeilwerthSX90R  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 15, 2005, 11:01 PM

Thanks for the great responses so far. I will be keeping my Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse. I will probably also add a Dell 20" although the 17" on the PB aren't bad.

One major question: is there a good dock for the 17" PB?

Forum Links
Forum Rules