Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Advice from UK Powerbook owners?

Advice from UK Powerbook owners?
chrisford
Forum Regular
Nov 16, 2005, 05:35 PM

Hi all -

I'm fairly certain that the hard-drive in my 12" 1gHz Powerbook has developed a fault (it has repeatedly failed on install of OSX 10.4 and appears to report random errors when running Disk Utility from the OSX install disk).

As I'm out of my warranty period, I wondered if any UK Powerbook owners could recommend a good online store for the purchase of a new hard-drive. I think that 40gig would probably suffice, but if you can get larger for little extra outlay I'm all ears.

I've asked in my local Apple reseller who say that they will fit a third-party drive if I bring it along. I'm not entirely kack-handed, but I get the feeling that installing a new drive is reasonably fiddly - especially as I don't have any of the correct tools. But - again - if someone tells me that it's as simple as changing the memory or adding an Airport card, I'll happily take advice!

Thanks in advance -

cf

flanders
Forum Regular
Nov 16, 2005, 05:55 PM

I don't think it's too hard to replace the hard disk in a 12" pb. The first bit (taking off the bottom case) might be the toughest and require some special tools but other than that I can't see it being a big deal if you're up to it. I could post some instructions if it would help.
MBP C2D 2.16Ghz 15" Matte, 2GB RAM

f1000
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2005, 06:02 PM

Nivag
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2005, 07:09 PM

this place has always been a good source for me when buying HDs and other bits

http://www.ebuyer.co.uk

ism
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 16, 2005, 07:23 PM

I got my 120Gb seagate from http://uk.insight.com they seemed ok on price, but more importantly for me at the time had the thing in stock.

Quite simple to replace. Go to http://www.xlr8yourmac.com search the database. My report is in there with all the links to guides I used.

Search based on

Drive Type: Hard Drive
Drive Interface: IDE
Drive Brand: Seagate
Mac Model: PowerBook G4

Then search for my report. (Name: Simon Heywood)
( Last edited by ism; Nov 16, 2005 at 07:31 PM. )

chrisford  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 17, 2005, 09:25 AM

Hi all -

Many thanks for all your replies: a great help.

I've used Insight before (in the last few days in fact!) and would happily recommend them to any UK Mac users.

Thanks again - I'm sure I'll be back with a post explaining how I've managed to put a screwdriver thro' my Powerbook screen and asking where these four spare screws go...

cf

ism
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 17, 2005, 09:58 AM

good luck!

Forum Links
Forum Rules