Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PB 17" versus new MBP

PB 17" versus new MBP
Kyon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 30, 2006, 02:15 PM

i have an opportunity to purchase either a MBP 15" 1.83 Core Duo or a PB 17" 1.67 G4 for the same price (the 17" is refurbished through the apple website). i've been reading on the forum a lot and am still unable to make a decision. i know the MBP has the new revolutionary chip, but as of now that there isn't as much software support. i'm about to study abroad so the intel compatability issue is important as i will not have ready access to updated binary programs. also i'm skeptical about the issues on heat and the airport dropping internet connections. what i like about the 17" is the brilliant screen and also the fact that the superdrive is faster and that the battery will most likely run longer. what i'm concerned about is the physical size of the laptop when carrying it around etc. a little about me is i'm going to be a medical student abroad. i will primarily use the laptop for email/internet as well as MS Office and itunes, quicktime/media player extensively and occasional use of photoshop and other types of media programs. i will carry the laptop to and from class occasionally maybe 2-3X a week and really the weight difference is not an issue for me, but perhaps lugging around such a large laptop (the 17") may affect me later on. i'm really into multimedia things like movies etc so the 17" screen would be nice. please give me any input or advice or personal experiences.

dahcar
Mar 30, 2006, 02:25 PM

no brainer for me...MBP. IMO 17" is too big. You're also getting a brand new computer with the MBP and not a refurb. I use my MBP on my bare legs and it's not too hot for me, so heat isn't really an issue, and if i'm not mistaken, the PB has the same issue with heat. The dropped airport signal will most likely be a quick software fix. Get a MBP; you won't regret it.

macboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 30, 2006, 02:33 PM

I dont have a MBP but I just got a 17" Powerbook and I love it. I use it for a bit of photoshop work and watch movies on it all the time. I even carry the 17" to college everyday and it doesnt feel bulky at all to me and the display is just sweet.

If your looking to save some extra $$$ and dont really need the extra power (the current powerbooks are not slow mind you), get the PB. This is the best time to grab a good deal on these 17 inchers.

flanders
Forum Regular
Mar 30, 2006, 02:49 PM

Grab the 17. The physical size issue is nothing if you look at the MBP15 (which is bigger than the previous PB15) side by side with the PB17. Also, the 17 will be plenty fast for years to come and the screen size is fabulous. Do you want the first MBP or the last PB? I have the last PB and no regrets. I'm not even considering the MBP until a 17" shows up after using and carrying my current 17 for the last four months. You just get so much more for a little bigger form factor.
MBP C2D 2.16Ghz 15" Matte, 2GB RAM

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2006, 04:27 PM

go use the two machines with software that you plan on using after your purchase. i guarantee you the apps that run through rosetta will as fast or faster than the 1.67 g4. if anything go with the 15" refurb and save yourself some bucks, the screen isnt THAT big a difference.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

b1NARY73
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 30, 2006, 05:09 PM

As a current owner of a Powerbook 17", I would have to say if I had it all to do over again..... I would have went for the 15" younger brother. The 17" is a tank... and I find myself plugging it into a 20" Dell 2005FPW anyways...... so yeah, the 17" PB is a great machine, awesome screen, but not worth the hassle. Everything you buy for it is more expensive, ie: sleeves, bages to carry it in, etc, etc.
 Macbook Pro 17" / 2.5GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo / 4GB Ram / 350GB
 Macbook Pro 17" / 2.16GHZ Intel Core Duo / 2GB Ram / 120GB
 Macbook Black / 2.4GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo / 4GB Ram / 350GB

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 30, 2006, 07:45 PM

I traded my PB17 for a MBP and have not missed a beat (everything is as fast or faster on the MBP). And the MBP will only get faster as the optimized software becomes available over the next year.

Jean-Loup
Mar 30, 2006, 08:42 PM

I have the MBP, so far no real problem with the heat, no problem with wireless and all around fan-friggin-tastic computer. I say go with the MBP all the way. I love the speed of it too!!!
( Last edited by Jean-Loup; Mar 30, 2006 at 10:13 PM. )

Masters2010
Mar 30, 2006, 11:24 PM

I traded my 17" for a MBP as well and I've found it to be a good purchase. If I too were to go back and do it again, I wouldn't get the 17. It's just so huge. At first it didn't seem like it would bother me, but the more I used it the more I realized it was too big.

Forum Links
Forum Rules