Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 10.4.7 released — portable-specific issues?

10.4.7 released — portable-specific issues?
iomatic
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2006, 12:05 PM

I start these threads, in anticipation there are any Powerbook issues (10.4.6 screwed up a lot of portables last time around, including mine), and the other thread over at Mac OS X is more like a children's playground of accusations.

Anyway, post away, brave ones.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2006, 02:14 PM

hey, i have NEVER had an issue with an os x update (from my pismo days, to current 12" alubook).
and i run lots of haxies, custom stuff.

10.4.7 is fine on my pb.

your mileage may vary...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Wevah
Senior User
Jun 28, 2006, 03:00 PM

The only issue that I have with 10.4.7 is that now I can't make my processor whine go away by starting the mirror widget and then closing it. It goes away when I start it, but it comes back when I close it now. QuietMBP kind of works, but it doesn't make it completely disappear, either.

Oh well. I guess I'll just have to listen to loud music all the time now.
[Wevah setPostCount:[Wevah postCount] + 1];

SLam
Jun 28, 2006, 03:18 PM

You can temporary disable the 2nd core to stop the whine. Download the latest version of CHUD.
MacBook Pro 15" | 2 GB | 100 GB | 10.5.1stevelam.org

Wevah
Senior User
Jun 28, 2006, 03:25 PM

Yeah, I know, but that's not something I want to do.

Edit: By which I mean, I don't want to disable a core (I already have CHUD installed).
[Wevah setPostCount:[Wevah postCount] + 1];

iomatic  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2006, 04:35 PM

Sucks those bugs aren't worked out. Then again, I don't have two cores either

CobraNT
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 29, 2006, 09:05 AM

I am having an issue since updating. If I close my lid my Powerbook goes to sleep and doesn't wake back up when I open the lid. How do I uninstall the update? Anyone know?

amazing
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2006, 10:24 AM

My 12" does fine (as always) with waking from sleep. No problems with 10.4.7 and the Adobe Flash update seems to have reduced processor use in Safari (better handling of flash.)

Download the Combo update and run that, to see if it fixes your sleep problem. You didn't by any chance use Terminal to disable lidwake?

CobraNT
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 29, 2006, 11:58 AM

No, I didn't disable it. I downloaded the update, then and closed the lid that night. The next day I opened it and nothing. It is like the screen isn't kicking on because I can press the sound button and I get the chime like it is adjusting the sound. Before the update all worked fine. I actually have to power off and on to get it back. Something else I noticed is the glowing light on the open button isn't glowing like its asleep either. This is a PB 17" 1.67.

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2006, 12:08 PM

Not sure if anyone noticed, but this update enabled the two finger right click for the MacBook Pros (at least I think it was this update that did it, as it is now enabled in the Trackpad system preference--- although it could have been enabled with one of the other updates, but I don't think so). Nice to catch up with the MacBooks and 17-inch MBP.
david

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2006, 12:09 PM

Yes, it was enabled on 15" MBP with this update.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2006, 12:22 PM

12" PB in perfect working order.

YAY TEAM!!!!!!
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

dahcar
Jun 29, 2006, 01:13 PM

I barely had a whine before on my MBP 15, but now it's really loud. I think it included the Keyboard update that I've been avoiding since I tested it out, which also caused the loud whine. Not even the mirror widget gets rid of it now, and I'm not interested in disabling a core.

How do I uninstall the update??

flanders
Forum Regular
Jun 29, 2006, 01:30 PM

You can uninstall the update only by re-installing 10.4.6 I believe. I had to do that yesterday since it appears that my 10.4.7 update really messed things up (MBP, 15" glossy). My laptop screen would go blank and my proc would freeze up (my 23" screen would still be "alive" but wouldn't allow me to do anything but move the mouse). I downgraded by doing an erase and install back to .6 and restoring my data. All is well on .6 for now. I'm letting the .7 upgrade sit for a while before touching it again although from most accounts it might have just been a bad install on my particular mbp since no one else is reporting something like this...yet.
MBP C2D 2.16Ghz 15" Matte, 2GB RAM

CobraNT
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 29, 2006, 07:58 PM

With all the cool features in Mac's, you would think they would have thought of an Uninstall or Restore feature.....

flanders
Forum Regular
Jun 30, 2006, 08:49 AM

Looks like I may have been bitten by the delta updater (through sw update) bugs since I was having some video trouble perhaps related to the OpenGL missing files. I'm trying the combo updater now from Apple's web site and we'll see how that goes.

phuture
Jun 30, 2006, 09:00 AM

10.4.7 sucks! On my Pismo, when I close the lid it sleeps fine. When I open it, the computer doesn't wake up automatically. I have to press a key to wake it up.

Not that it's anything major, but you know how it is... it's the little things that are really annoying. Especially since I got really comfortable with the computer waking up on its own ever since system 9...

flanders
Forum Regular
Jun 30, 2006, 01:25 PM

Tried the combo updater this morning and it all went south right away. Same issues as before. Now I ran the combo updater again with no peripherals (removed fw, usb and 23" DVI) and it seemed to complete the upgrade this time. I think this might come down to a bad video/opengl driver and external displays for me. Couldn't get it to boot or stay running with the external video going at all. Removed that, and it's working pretty well. Safari crashes occasionally with an opengl error using flash plugin but that's about it. MBP runs about 10 deg. C cooler now too. Still might have to go back to 10.4.6 if the external display hoses it up again.

EdipisReks
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 30, 2006, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by dahcar
I barely had a whine before on my MBP 15, but now it's really loud. I think it included the Keyboard update that I've been avoiding since I tested it out, which also caused the loud whine. Not even the mirror widget gets rid of it now, and I'm not interested in disabling a core.

if you are comfortable with using the terminal, there is a simple (currently pre-beta) whine killer available at www.increw.com. it works well in 10.4.7. personally i wish that MagicNoiseKiller still worked, but this is better than nothing.
20" iMac/2.4 C2D/4GB RAM/320 HD + ViewSonic VX2025WM
13" MBP/2.26 C2D/4GB RAM/250 HD
16 GB iPhone

SLam
Jun 30, 2006, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
if you are comfortable with using the terminal, there is a simple (currently pre-beta) whine killer available at www.increw.com. it works well in 10.4.7. personally i wish that MagicNoiseKiller still worked, but this is better than nothing.
i'm tired of the drama going on with increw. after multiple failed promises, they released a version that was no where feature complete as they have claimed. they finally released their source code, so hopefully things will get better.

EdipisReks
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 30, 2006, 09:17 PM

yeah, i've been following the increw drama from the beginning and it's been pretty crappy. the whine killer works as advertised, though.
16 GB iPhone

SLam
Jun 30, 2006, 09:18 PM

cool. i'm gonna try it.

EdipisReks
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 30, 2006, 09:22 PM

just make sure to run "./speedctl on&" not just "speedctl on"
16 GB iPhone

dahcar
Jul 1, 2006, 12:45 AM

this discussion shows how to reactivate the mirrow widget trick. i think it pretty much uninstalls the keyboard update http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=300343

Jason
Jul 2, 2006, 11:10 AM

Hmm...ok after reaading all the above posts, i think ill steer clear from this update and wait until the next one comes along. I don't have a whine and I want to keep it that way!

Has anyone installed this update and had no issues? All the above posts say they encounter more bad than good from this update!

Thanks,

Jason.
"Amidst all the hype of modern design and computers, we have remained true by generating the majority of our designs by hand, viewing the computer as a tool and not letting it dictate our designs." - Ames Design.

EdipisReks
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 2, 2006, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Jason
Hmm...ok after reaading all the above posts, i think ill steer clear from this update and wait until the next one comes along. I don't have a whine and I want to keep it that way!

Has anyone installed this update and had no issues? All the above posts say they encounter more bad than good from this update!

Thanks,

Jason.
well, there is nothing bad that is new after the 10.4.7 update, for me. except that the volume keys on my keyboard don't always work now
16 GB iPhone

iomatic  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2006, 05:04 PM

So, any 15" Aluminum PowerBook problems?

Seems like a lot of remaining MacBook problems (this is one of the reasons why some of us await CS3, and the next revision.)

MacG33k
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2006, 09:57 PM

After the update, apps on my 15" PowerBook is crashing after waking up from closed lid. It's currently crashing finder, terminal and mail. However, everything's fine on my MacBook Pro.

iomatic  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2006, 02:47 AM

Yowsa. Everything seems fine so far; even after the rehacked-Disk Utility-10.4.6-bonk update.

*knocks head*

Forum Links
Forum Rules