Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > big fat bug with file sharing, makes system unbootable

big fat bug with file sharing, makes system unbootable
Sarc
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2008, 02:26 AM

I already reported this to Apple, here it goes:

1) In the Leopard File Sharing Pref Pane, added the startup volume (as I sometimes copy non-User-folder files through the network).

2) Noticed that user/group "Everyone" had 'Read' access to most of drive, not just authenticated users.
In the Sharing Pref Pane I couldn't select "No Access" from the menu or remove the user using the 'minus' button, both where greyed out.

(and here comes the big mistake as both options greyed out should have been a pretty clear indication)

3) Deleted the "Everyone" user by pressing the Delete key.

After a reboot the system will hang up on the grey Apple logo with the spinning "gear". When attempting recovery procedures from the install DVD or other bootable disks:
> Disk Utility: reports the disk is fine; when 'Repair Permissions' was attempted it returns a "Underlying task failure" error.
> DiskWarrior: will rebuild the directory, won't be able to repair permissions, system won't be bootable.
> Archive and install from the DVD fails.
> fsck reports all kinds of errors, unreadable sectors and the likes.
> Running 'diskutil repairpermissions' from the Terminal in the Install DVD won't work either, same error as above.
> Data files remain intact and readable from other bootable drives.

Only solution was to zero-out the drive, and reinstall from scratch. Avoided data loss by installing OS X to an external FW drive and used migration assistant with the "From another volume" option, then formatted the internal drive, reinstalled, and used the Migration Assistant the other way round.

Probably could haven been fixed using some Terminal magic, but just couldn't figure what to change.

Hopefully some of you will read this and avoid it. Cheers.
( Last edited by Sarc; Dec 30, 2008 at 02:42 AM. )
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

P
Dec 30, 2008, 07:58 AM

Hmm. Sounds like something went funny with ACLs. Nasty bug alright. FFR, you might have managed to get it fixed by running fsck and/or diskutil from single user mode. To get to single user mode, boot with Cmd-option-S held down.

MrNo
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 31, 2008, 11:42 AM

This is a normal behavior.
You don't want to remove Everyone from the root of the drive, as it will make the system useless.
Everyone has to be present for the OS to work properly.
I've had several of my customers do this. All with the same result.
Reinstall the OS was the easiest.

Cold Warrior
Dec 31, 2008, 11:46 AM

AFAIK, Everyone does not equal unauthenticated or anonymous users.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2008, 12:05 PM

I guess this is the OS X equivalent of dragging your hard drive to the trash?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 31, 2008, 12:47 PM

Well, it should be possible for root to fix it by reassigning correct permissions.

That said... how is this a bug? It seems to me like exactly the right behavior, and Apple took steps to stop you from doing it! You did it anyway, despite the hurdles.

Besides, if you use File Sharing as an admin (that is, log in remotely using an admin account) you automatically see all volumes on the system.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2008, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by tooki View Post
That said... how is this a bug? It seems to me like exactly the right behavior, and Apple took steps to stop you from doing it! You did it anyway, despite the hurdles.
I would have to disagree. I don't think it should be possible to totally bork your system via the GUI.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 31, 2008, 01:03 PM

How that ? Does a message pop up, saying "Removing Everyone read-access will wipe your your system" ?

If not, I'd call this a bug. No user should be able to just remove something in the Finder, which causes a complete destruction of the OS.

As MrNo said, security conscious people that are naive might just try this because they are afraid that read-access for Everyone means what it seems to mean on the surface.

-t

Person Man
Professional Poster
Dec 31, 2008, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
If not, I'd call this a bug. No user should be able to just remove something in the Finder, which causes a complete destruction of the OS.
But it doesn't cause "complete destruction of the OS," and the system doesn't normally let you do this. The OP had to circumvent the usual protections to do this.

But nothing is destroyed. It doesn't "wipe your system." The permissions of the drive are simply changed. Reset them to normal (which could be accomplished by booting off the DVD and using Terminal, as outlined in this thread. In fact, what is documented in that thread is exactly what happened here.

I will agree with you that the system could throw up a warning that this would be a stupid thing to do and explain why, but this is NOT a bug. Just a poorly designed feature.
( Last edited by Person Man; Dec 31, 2008 at 02:51 PM. )

Person Man
Professional Poster
Dec 31, 2008, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Hmm. Sounds like something went funny with ACLs. Nasty bug alright. FFR, you might have managed to get it fixed by running fsck and/or diskutil from single user mode. To get to single user mode, boot with Cmd-option-S held down.
Nothing to do with ACLs. Just normal user permissions. And it's not a bug.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Dec 31, 2008, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
I guess this is the OS X equivalent of dragging your hard drive to the trash?
No. Nothing is deleted. The permissions of the root volume are changed such that no user, authenticated or not, can read the drive.

If you can reset the permissions, which you can, but it requires the terminal, you don't lose a thing. I know, because the exact same thing happened to me. The difference was that I realized what happened and knew how to fix it. Took me all of 10 minutes.

But that's not going to be true of less technically inclined people.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 31, 2008, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Person Man View Post
I will agree with you that the system could throw up a warning that this would be a stupid thing to do and explain why, but this is NOT a bug. Just a poorly designed feature.
Ok, semantics.

For most users, this is lethal. Someone who accidentally screws their system doesn't know how to use the Terminal to fix it.

-t

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 31, 2008, 07:01 PM

Turtle, I totally agree that this is a flaw in the GUI, and that the OP should have gotten a warning. But, re semantics, how about defining a bug as a piece of faulty code, that causes a problem? Here the code worked exactly as intended, but somebody did not realize that people could naively do this without knowing what would happen.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 31, 2008, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by jmiddel View Post
Turtle, I totally agree that this is a flaw in the GUI, and that the OP should have gotten a warning. But, re semantics, how about defining a bug as a piece of faulty code, that causes a problem? Here the code worked exactly as intended, but somebody did not realize that people could naively do this without knowing what would happen.
Ok, that's fine. So it's not a bug.

It's still something Apple should fix. Therefore submitting it as a "bug" is the right thing.

-t

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 31, 2008, 10:09 PM

Since you're clearly not intended to be able to do this, as the Sharing preference pane greys out the "minus sign" button when Everyone is selected, yet if you press the Delete key instead of pressing the button it works anyway, I'm pretty sure this is a bug. Apple disabled the "minus sign" button to prevent you from being able to do this, but they forgot to disable the Delete key in that case.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Atheist
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2009, 01:16 PM

I used to work on a project where the client was obsessive about labeling unintended features of the software as bugs. If the software wasn't behaving as they wanted (even though it was behaving as designed) they insisted it was a bug. We of course told them that any changes to the behavior of the software would be an enhancement, not a bug fix. They settled on calling them "bughancements".

I'll call this a bughancement.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jan 1, 2009, 01:52 PM

Still, it's important to accurately describe the behavior in the "bug" report.

The drive is not wiped, nothing is erased, no data is lost.

It's just a simple permissions change on the root volume.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 1, 2009, 03:07 PM

I used to work on a project where the client was obsessive about labeling unintended features of the software as bugs. If the software wasn't behaving as they wanted (even though it was behaving as designed) they insisted it was a bug. We of course told them that any changes to the behavior of the software would be an enhancement, not a bug fix. They settled on calling them "bughancements".
Did you read my post? It's fairly obvious that it is not working as designed, as evidenced by the fact that the button circled in red in this screenshot is greyed out:

Since the button is disabled, it's clear that you're not supposed to be able to delete this. The bug is that even though the button is greyed out, you can circumvent this by pressing the Delete key on the keyboard instead of clicking the button, and get this:

That's obviously a bug.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Atheist
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2009, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Did you read my post? It's fairly obvious that it is not working as designed, as evidenced by the fact that the button circled in red in this screenshot is greyed out:
Dude... lighten up. I agree it's a bug as I stated in my first post. The GUI shouldn't let you render your system unusable. I just thought the bughancement thing would add little levity to the discussion.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jan 1, 2009, 04:22 PM

Dude... lighten up. I agree it's a bug as I stated in my first post. The GUI shouldn't let you render your system unusable. I just thought the bughancement thing would add little levity to the discussion.
If you log into the GUI as root, it should let you do it...

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 1, 2009, 04:40 PM

The delete key on the keyboard should not be mapped to a grayed-out option. And while the ensuing okay/cancel dialog gives you a chance to re-think, it doesn't explain the consequences.

It should be fixed, and I can see a whole lot of relative newcomers going "Oh Noes! Everyone can access my files! I'd better put a stop to that!"

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Professional Poster
Jan 1, 2009, 06:43 PM

It seems that the REAL "bug" here is the total misnomer "Everyone." Because that sounds like it's completely unprotected. It should be "All Users," or something.

Sarc  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2009, 11:19 PM

From my point of view, it's a bug in two ways:

1) The Delete key shouldn't allow to do what the rest of the GUI purposefully won't.

2) What I want is to control what "Everyone" can see through the network (that is, nothing at all).
I should be able to specify that I only want my user to read/write the startup volume and no other.
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 1, 2009, 11:45 PM

Everyone doesn't refer to everyone in the world, as pointed out previously. It refers to every user on the system, and it's safe the way it's set up. If you turn on guest access through the Sharing pane of System Preferences, those connecting would only be able to see the folders you chose to share (usually each user's public folder) and nothing else. You shouldn't go looking to make changes to core parts of the system unless you properly understand what you're doing and why you're doing it.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

barryjaylevine
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2009, 11:58 PM

How easy it it to hose your user account?

Rename your Home folder. That's it. Next login, all of your info is gone (or, at the very least, in an inaccessible location). The fact that Apple actually permits you to accomplish this renaming without even a warning is, IMHO, a violation of Apple's own Human Interface Guidelines. The user should always be led down the path of least danger.

I'm called in to rectify this situation about a dozen times each year. Most often i can recover the data for the unfortunate soul who has managed to do this bork (as someone else in this thread used the word).

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 2, 2009, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by Sarc View Post
When attempting recovery procedures from the install DVD or other bootable disks:
> Disk Utility: reports the disk is fine; when 'Repair Permissions' was attempted it returns a "Underlying task failure" error.
> DiskWarrior: will rebuild the directory, won't be able to repair permissions, system won't be bootable.
> Archive and install from the DVD fails.
> fsck reports all kinds of errors, unreadable sectors and the likes.
> Running 'diskutil repairpermissions' from the Terminal in the Install DVD won't work either, same error as above.
> Data files remain intact and readable from other bootable drives.

Only solution was to zero-out the drive, and reinstall from scratch.
Amazingly drastic consequences for simply tweaking a setting in a file sharing control panel. The fact that "repair permissions" was utterly useless does suggest that ACLs were involved somehow. Disk Utility (rightly or wrongly) does not reset or alter ACLs in any fashion AFAIK... it merely reports interesting anomalies. There is an 'ACL fixer' of sorts, hidden in the Reset Password area (when booted from Leo's DVD).

Nothing to do with ACLs. Just normal user permissions. And it's not a bug.
You think not? Most of what Leo does under the hood (especially where group "everyone" is concerned) is actually implemented via ACLs. [indeed, they are the heart and soul of "sharing" in OSX 10.5] What you're suggesting is -- that in order to achieve 'unreadability' for everyone -- that the OS went through all associated items and POSIXically did a chmod a-r on them. [?] I sorta doubt it... but that would be quite insane, if true.
( Last edited by Hal Itosis; Jan 2, 2009 at 05:14 AM. )
-HI-

iPublius
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2009, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by barryjaylevine View Post

Rename your Home folder. That's it. Next login, all of your info is gone (or, at the very least, in an inaccessible location). The fact that Apple actually permits you to accomplish this renaming without even a warning is, IMHO, a violation of Apple's own Human Interface Guidelines. The user should always be led down the path of least danger.

I'm called in to rectify this situation about a dozen times each year. Most often i can recover the data for the unfortunate soul who has managed to do this bork (as someone else in this thread used the word).
I thought Leopard stopped allowing users to do that. No?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 2, 2009, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by barryjaylevine View Post

This problem has been fixed since October 29, 2007: Leopard no longer allows you to rename your home folder.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 2, 2009, 09:26 AM

But it doesn't cause "complete destruction of the OS," and the system doesn't normally let you do this. The OP had to circumvent the usual protections to do this.

But nothing is destroyed. It doesn't "wipe your system." The permissions of the drive are simply changed. Reset them to normal (which could be accomplished by booting off the DVD and using Terminal, as outlined in this thread. In fact, what is documented in that thread is exactly what happened here.

And a usability nightmare.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 2, 2009, 09:38 AM

Software design mantra: "if you give your users a gun, they will shoot themselves with it". This is way too big of a gun to provide users. There is no need to go ahead with such a drastic, sweeping change via this mickey mouse GUI. It accomplishes nothing productive, and so therefore should not be permitted. I think Charles is right that Apple never intended users to be able to do this, the delete key overriding the GUI feedback that the item is not deleteable is indeed a bug. Bugs are reproducable anomalies that do not work as originally designed. It is clear from Charles' observations that this was not what Apple had originally designed, rightfully so.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2009, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Hal Itosis View Post
You think not? Most of what Leo does under the hood (especially where group "everyone" is concerned) is actually implemented via ACLs. [indeed, they are the heart and soul of "sharing" in OSX 10.5] What you're suggesting is -- that in order to achieve 'unreadability' for everyone -- that the OS went through all associated items and POSIXically did a chmod a-r on them. [?] I sorta doubt it... but that would be quite insane, if true.
No. It did nothing of the sort. What it did was "chmod a-r /" only.

It did not touch ACLs. It did not touch any other file. Only the root volume's permissions were changed.

I know this because I did the same thing the OP did in the same fashion. On Leopard.

I fixed it by booting off the Leopard DVD, running terminal and doing a "chmod a+r /" on the volume. Voila! Problem solved! Machine booted again.

Before you insist that you are right and I'm not, I suggest you try it yourself. Back up your drive. Go to sharing and do what the OP did. Then fix it like I did.

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 3, 2009, 07:20 PM

No. It did nothing of the sort. What it did was "chmod a-r /" only.
It did not touch ACLs. It did not touch any other file.
Only the root volume's permissions were changed..
Okay, you are right and i was wrong.

Well, mostly. ACLs were not utilized as i expected, true... but the change seems to be chmod o-rwx
The owner (root) and group (admin) read bits are not affected (nor are their write or execute).
EDIT: oh wait... sharing also killed the sticky bit. Why did it do that? Sticky = good.

# BEFORE:
ls -lde /
drwxrwxr-t@ 36 root admin 1292 Jan 3 16:28 /
# AFTER:
ls -lde /
drwxrwx---@ 36 root admin 1292 Jan 3 16:28 /

So mine went from 1775 to 770. (not 1331)

"everyone" is wrong (especially Leopard)

My confused assumption was assisted by Apple's overloaded use of the word "everyone".
everyone is an actual group with some strange qualities. It has an actual name and gid:

dscl . -read /Groups/everyone PrimaryGroupID
PrimaryGroupID: 12

...but you won't find that group on any file's POSIX listing. And unlike wheel (for example),
it has no "members":

dscl . -read /Groups/wheel GroupMembership
GroupMembership: root
dscl . -read /Groups/everyone GroupMembership
No such key: GroupMembership
dscl . -read /Groups/everyone Comment
Comment: Group membership calculated by system

Yet... group everyone does exist, and can be seen in ACL listings:

ls -lde ~/Music
drwx------+ 25 halito halito 850 Nov 28 00:14 /Users/halito/Music
0: group:everyone deny delete

And if you don't think it works... just try deleting or renaming your Music folder (or any other so protected).

My point here is that, the Sharing Control Panel (and even Finder's Get Info windows) use that same word "everyone" -- when what they really mean is world or OTHERS. OTOH, when the "everyone deny delete" ACL takes effect, it means all users -- even the owner.

I fixed it by booting off the Leopard DVD, running terminal and doing a "chmod a+r /" on the volume. Voila! Problem solved! Machine booted again.
Folks can save the 5 minutes it takes to boot off the DVD and get an actual Terminal prompt by just going into single-user mode and doing the same thing (don't forget to mount -uw / first).

EDIT: though, i have to ask: if you only did chmod a+r, then what are your perms now?
chmod a+r wouldn't set the execute bit on others (or the sticky bit either)... so maybe your perms are: drwxrwxr-- then???
Anyway, i'm thinking that chmod 1775 / is what i would recommend... to be sure things get back to normal.

:
:

But this brings me to my 2nd beef:
Originally Posted by Sarc View Post
when 'Repair Permissions' was attempted it returns a "Underlying task failure" error.
Why is Disk Utility on the DVD so dumb? It can't fix the perms on our HD from 770 to 1775?!?!?!
I mean, we command-line junkies can go straight to a terminal... but most users will not be so inclined.
They will probably depend on Disk Utility to repair that one basic permission... and meet with EPIC FAIL.

Unbelievable. That "Underlying task failure" error belongs on the bug list in this thread as well.
[it was also D.U.'s inability to fix a simple permission that led me to suspect ACL involvement.]
( Last edited by Hal Itosis; Jan 3, 2009 at 11:33 PM. Reason: have i found and fixed all my mistakes yet? ;-))
-HI-

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 3, 2009, 07:27 PM

delete dupe
-HI-

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 4, 2009, 12:57 PM

The fact that "repair permissions" was utterly useless does suggest that ACLs were involved somehow.
No, it doesn't.

There's a huge disconnect between what people think Repair Permissions does (magic; cure-all; knowing, checking, and repairing permissions on every file and folder on the system), and what it actually does (looks at installer receipts and verifies whether those installed packages still have the right permissions, and fixes if necessary). In other words, Repair Permissions ONLY fixes permissions for items that were installed via Installer.app (including Software Update) AND left a receipt. Anything for which there is no receipt will not be checked nor repaired, because the receipts are the ONLY source for permissions data. There's no receipt for your hard disk's root, because that's got nothing to do with a software install.

In fact, Repair Permissions is something that seldom fixes things, because permissions are seldom the source of problems -- people just love to use it because it's there.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 4, 2009, 01:10 PM

But this brings me to my 2nd beef:

Why is Disk Utility on the DVD so dumb? It can't fix the perms on our HD from 770 to 1775?!?!?!
I mean, we command-line junkies can go straight to a terminal... but most users will not be so inclined.
They will probably depend on Disk Utility to repair that one basic permission... and meet with EPIC FAIL.

Unbelievable. That "Underlying task failure" error belongs on the bug list in this thread as well.
[it was also D.U.'s inability to fix a simple permission that led me to suspect ACL involvement.]
You can reach that conclusion only by not understanding what the Repair Permissions function is: a tool to check the permissions of software installed via Installer.app. Despite its name, it is not a generic permissions tool, it's designed only to operate in a small, specific scope.

It probably Epic Fails because the Repair Permissions tool has no permission (although if booted from DVD, it should have full root access) to go read the receipts folder (on the disk to be repaired) that it relies on as its sole source of permissions data. If there's no receipt instructing Repair Permissions what to do with a particular file or folder, then the file or folder will not be inspected or corrected, regardless of the consequences or circumstances.

(On Panther and earlier, Repair Permissions had to be run from the disk being repaired, because it only looked at the Receipts folder on the current boot disk, so if you booted from the DVD, it had only minimal receipts to look at -- none of the ones for your apps would be present, for example. On Tiger [IIRC] and Leopard, Repair Permissions can now be run successfully from the DVD, because the tool now uses the Receipts folder from the disk being repaired, regardless of what the boot disk is.)

Someone using POSIX permissions or ACLs to remove access from the root of the boot disk is probably not something the designers of Disk Utility anticipated many people doing, so I can see why they might not have bothered to add a check for it. (Or they did think about it, and have a sound reason to avoid it.)

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 4, 2009, 03:07 PM

Anything for which there is no receipt will not be checked nor repaired, because the receipts are the ONLY source for permissions data. There's no receipt for your hard disk's root, because that's got nothing to do with a software install.
As those two sentences are the crux of both your posts, i can simply address them (and ignore silly quips about which one of us thinks they have understanding of permissions vs ACLs).

Code:
$ lsbom -p mMUGsf /Library/Receipts/boms/com.apple.pkg.Essentials.bom |head 41775 drwxrwxr-t root admin . 40775 drwxrwxr-x root admin ./Applications 100664 -rw-rw-r-- root admin 0 ./Applications/.localized 40775 drwxrwxr-x root admin ./Applications/AppleScript 40775 drwxrwxr-x root admin ./Applications/AppleScript/AppleScript Utility.app 40775 drwxrwxr-x root admin ./Applications/AppleScript/AppleScript Utility.app/Contents 100664 -rw-rw-r-- root admin 3372 ./Applications/AppleScript/AppleScript Utility.app/Contents/CodeResources 100664 -rw-rw-r-- root admin 1097 ./Applications/AppleScript/AppleScript Utility.app/Contents/Info.plist 40775 drwxrwxr-x root admin ./Applications/AppleScript/AppleScript Utility.app/Contents/MacOS 100775 -rwxrwxr-x root admin 78176 ./Applications/AppleScript/AppleScript Utility.app/Contents/MacOS/AppleScript Utility
Just guess what that red line above refers to.
Code:
$ pkgutil --file-info / volume: / path: . pkgid: com.apple.pkg.BaseSystem pkg-version: 10.5.0.1.1.1192168948 install-time: 1196363077 uid: 0 gid: 80 mode: 41755 pkgid: com.apple.pkg.Essentials pkg-version: 10.5.0.1.1.1192168948 install-time: 1196363331 uid: 0 gid: 80 mode: 41775 pkgid: com.apple.pkg.BootCamp pkg-version: 10.5.0.1.1.1192168948 install-time: 1196363352 uid: 0 gid: 80 mode: 41775 pkgid: com.apple.pkg.BSD pkg-version: 10.5.0.1.1.1192168948 install-time: 1196363433 uid: 0 gid: 80 mode: 41775 pkgid: com.apple.pkg.iPodSupport pkg-version: 10.5.0.1.1.1192168948 install-time: 1196363443 uid: 0 gid: 80 mode: 41775 pkgid: com.apple.pkg.PodcastCapture pkg-version: 1.0.0.1.1.1192168948 install-time: 1196363447 uid: 0 gid: 80 mode: 41775 pkgid: com.apple.pkg.Directory pkg-version: 1.0.0.1.1.1192168948 install-time: 1196363456 uid: 0 gid: 80 mode: 41775 pkgid: com.apple.pkg.JavaToolsLeo pkg-version: 1.0.0.9000000000.1.1192168948 install-time: 1196363460 uid: 0 gid: 80 mode: 41775 pkgid: com.apple.pkg.AdditionalEssentials pkg-version: 10.5.0.1.1.1192168948 install-time: 1196363474 uid: 0 gid: 80 mode: 41775 pkgid: com.apple.pkg.AdditionalSpeechVoices pkg-version: 10.5.0.1.1.1192168948 install-time: 1196363696 uid: 0 gid: 80 mode: 41775 pkgid: com.apple.pkg.AsianLanguagesSupport pkg-version: 10.5.0.1.1.1192168948 install-time: 1196363706 uid: 0 gid: 80 mode: 41775 pkgid: com.apple.pkg.MediaFiles pkg-version: 10.5.0.1.1.1192168948 install-time: 1196363738 uid: 0 gid: 80 mode: 41775 pkgid: com.apple.pkg.MigrationAssistant pkg-version: 10.5.0.1.1.1192168948 install-time: 1196363756 uid: 0 gid: 80 mode: 41775 pkgid: com.apple.pkg.Mail pkg-version: 10.5.0.1.1.1192168948 install-time: 1196363785 uid: 0 gid: 80 mode: 41775 pkgid: com.apple.pkg.AddressBook pkg-version: 10.5.0.1.1.1192168948 install-time: 1196363793 uid: 0 gid: 80 mode: 41775 pkgid: com.apple.pkg.iCal pkg-version: 10.5.0.1.1.1192168948 install-time: 1196363804 uid: 0 gid: 80 mode: 41775 pkgid: com.apple.pkg.Automator pkg-version: 10.5.0.1.1.1192168948 install-time: 1196363812 uid: 0 gid: 80 mode: 41775 pkgid: com.apple.pkg.DVDPlayer pkg-version: 10.5.0.1.1.1192168948 install-time: 1196363818 uid: 0 gid: 80 mode: 41775 pkgid: com.apple.pkg.iTunes pkg-version: 7.4.2.1.1192168948 install-time: 1196363836 uid: 0 gid: 80 mode: 41775 pkgid: com.apple.pkg.iChat pkg-version: 10.5.0.1.1.1192168948 install-time: 1196363847 uid: 0 gid: 80 mode: 41775 pkgid: com.apple.pkg.Java pkg-version: 10.5.0.1.1.1192168948 install-time: 1196363876 uid: 0 gid: 80 mode: 41775 pkgid: com.apple.pkg.Safari pkg-version: 10.5.0.1.1.1192168948 install-time: 1196363884 uid: 0 gid: 80 mode: 41775 pkgid: com.apple.pkg.OxfordDictionaries pkg-version: 10.5.0.1.1.1192168948 install-time: 1196363917 uid: 0 gid: 80 mode: 41775 pkgid: com.apple.pkg.BrotherPrinterDrivers pkg-version: 10.5.0.1.1.1192168948 install-time: 1196363985 uid: 0 gid: 80 mode: 41775 pkgid: com.apple.pkg.CanonPrinterDrivers pkg-version: 10.5.0.1.1.1192168948 install-time: 1196364053 uid: 0 gid: 80 mode: 41775 pkgid: com.apple.pkg.EpsonPrinterDrivers pkg-version: 10.5.0.1.1.1192168948 install-time: 1196364290 uid: 0 gid: 80 mode: 41775 pkgid: com.apple.pkg.HewlettPackardPrinterDrivers pkg-version: 10.5.0.1.1.1192168948 install-time: 1196364435 uid: 0 gid: 80 mode: 41775 pkgid: com.apple.pkg.LexmarkPrinterDrivers pkg-version: 10.5.0.1.1.1192168948 install-time: 1196364493 uid: 0 gid: 80 mode: 41775 pkgid: com.apple.pkg.XeroxPrinterDrivers pkg-version: 10.5.0.1.1.1192168948 install-time: 1196364642 uid: 0 gid: 80 mode: 41775 pkgid: com.apple.pkg.SamsungPrinterDrivers pkg-version: 10.5.0.1.1.1192168948 install-time: 1196364663 uid: 0 gid: 80 mode: 41775 pkgid: com.apple.MacOSX.lang.sv pkg-version: 10.5.0.1.1.1192168948 install-time: 1196364687 uid: 0 gid: 80 mode: 41775 pkgid: com.apple.pkg.X11User pkg-version: 10.5.0.1.1.1192168948 install-time: 1196364713 uid: 0 gid: 80 mode: 41775 pkgid: com.apple.pkg.update.os.10.5.1 pkg-version: 1.0.1.1191932192 install-time: 1196374137 uid: 0 gid: 80 mode: 41775 pkgid: com.apple.pkg.MacBookMacBookProKbdSU pkg-version: 1.1.1.1191419069 install-time: 1198050506 uid: 0 gid: 80 mode: 41775 pkgid: com.apple.pkg.update.security.2007.009 pkg-version: 1.1.1.1191932192 install-time: 1198366461 uid: 0 gid: 80 mode: 41775 pkgid: com.apple.pkg.update.os.10.5.2.combo pkg-version: 1.0.1.1191932192 install-time: 1202790807 uid: 0 gid: 80 mode: 41775 pkgid: com.apple.pkg.update.os.LeopardGraphicsUpdate.1.0 pkg-version: 1.0.1.1191932192 install-time: 1202791585 uid: 0 gid: 80 mode: 41775 pkgid: com.apple.pkg.BuiltInKybdFirmwareUpdate pkg-version: 1.0.1.1202757645 install-time: 1203493673 uid: 0 gid: 80 mode: 41775 pkgid: com.apple.pkg.Safari31UpdLeo pkg-version: 3.1.0.1.1191932192 install-time: 1205855824 uid: 0 gid: 80 mode: 41775 pkgid: com.apple.pkg.update.security.2008.002 pkg-version: 1.0.1.1191932192 install-time: 1205877419 uid: 0 gid: 80 mode: 41775 pkgid: com.apple.pkg.Time-Machine-Update pkg-version: 1.0.1.1191932192 install-time: 1205991576 uid: 0 gid: 80 mode: 41775 pkgid: com.apple.pkg.Safari311UpdLeo pkg-version: 3.1.1.1.1191932192 install-time: 1208458525 uid: 0 gid: 80 mode: 41775 pkgid: com.apple.pkg.JavaSE6 pkg-version: 10.5.0.1.1.1192168948 install-time: 1209608837 uid: 0 gid: 80 mode: 41775 pkgid: com.apple.pkg.update.os.10.5.3.combo pkg-version: 1.0.1.1191932192 install-time: 1212023877 uid: 0 gid: 80 mode: 41775 pkgid: com.apple.pkg.update.os.10.5.4.combo pkg-version: 1.0.1.1191932192 install-time: 1220481452 uid: 0 gid: 80 mode: 41775 pkgid: com.apple.pkg.update.security.2008.005 pkg-version: 1.0.1.1191932192 install-time: 1220485486 uid: 0 gid: 80 mode: 41775 pkgid: com.apple.pkg.update.os.10.5.5.combo pkg-version: 1.0.1.1191932192 install-time: 1221531856 uid: 0 gid: 80 mode: 41775 pkgid: com.apple.pkg.JavaForMacOSX10.5Update2 pkg-version: 10.5.0.1.1.1192168948 install-time: 1222349229 uid: 0 gid: 80 mode: 41775 pkgid: com.apple.pkg.update.security.2008.007 pkg-version: 1.0.1.1191932192 install-time: 1223615452 uid: 0 gid: 80 mode: 41775 pkgid: com.apple.pkg.AirPortExtremeUpdate2008004 pkg-version: 1.0.1.1188305148 install-time: 1226300713 uid: 0 gid: 80 mode: 41775 pkgid: com.apple.pkg.Safari32Leo pkg-version: 1.0.1.1191932192 install-time: 1226633753 uid: 0 gid: 80 mode: 41775 pkgid: com.apple.pkg.Safari321Leo pkg-version: 1.0.1.1191932192 install-time: 1227612616 uid: 0 gid: 80 mode: 41775 pkgid: com.apple.pkg.update.os.10.5.6.combo pkg-version: 1.0.1.1191932192 install-time: 1229405632 uid: 0 gid: 80 mode: 41775
Just guess what those 50+ red lines above refer to.

--

BUT -- even if you were right, and there was no specific entry for "/" in any reciept -- that situation would *still* be inexcusable... and not worthy of the effort you put into those two posts. For Disk Utility to be so helpless in the face of one bit changed on the read permission for "others" on an HD -- and crap out immediately -- is just a joke.
( Last edited by Hal Itosis; Jan 4, 2009 at 03:13 PM. )
-HI-

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 4, 2009, 10:56 PM

The issue here isn't ACL versus POSIX permissions (I understand both just fine). I wasn't insinuating that you don't understand permissions -- I was insinuating that you may not be fully clear on what Repair Permissions does and does not do.

The issue here is that the receipt in question is being read (or rather, attempting to be read) from the disk being repaired, so if Disk Util can't read the receipt, it can't see what permissions it should be setting to.

That said, I don't necessarily disagree with you that Disk Util shouldn't be able to fix -- or at least identify -- the problem.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 5, 2009, 12:02 AM

The issue here is that the receipt in question is being read (or rather, attempting to be read) from the disk being repaired, so if Disk Util can't read the receipt, it can't see what permissions it should be setting to.
If that's the case, shouldn't DI automatically restore the access rights to the receipts folder ?

I'd say this is something Apple should "fix".

-t

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2009, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
If that's the case, shouldn't DI automatically restore the access rights to the receipts folder ?

I'd say this is something Apple should "fix".

-t
The issue is not the permissions on the Receipts folder. It's that it doesn't have permission to read the entire disk at all, in this case. It should be fixed, yes.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2009, 12:31 PM

# BEFORE:
ls -lde /
drwxrwxr-t@ 36 root admin 1292 Jan 3 16:28 /
# AFTER:
ls -lde /
drwxrwx---@ 36 root admin 1292 Jan 3 16:28 /
[/tt]
So mine went from 1775 to 770. (not 1331)

EDIT: though, i have to ask: if you only did chmod a+r, then what are your perms now?
chmod a+r wouldn't set the execute bit on others (or the sticky bit either)... so maybe your perms are: drwxrwxr-- then???
Anyway, i'm thinking that chmod 1775 / is what i would recommend... to be sure things get back to normal.
You are correct. My permissions are 1775 now. I didn't actually issue the command listed above. I just used the permissions for the root drive on my MacBook Pro as a model for the permissions on my Power Mac G5. Worked fine... everything was (and is) back to normal.

Forum Links
Forum Rules