Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Buying a refurb MBP any good?

Buying a refurb MBP any good?
maxx9photo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 8, 2009, 08:39 PM

I never bought a refurb before so in this case this would be the first one if I decide to. Anyway this would be the MBP refurb from apple store so if anyone has bought before this refurb model please share your experience on the QC of the item, Thanks everyone!.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2009, 08:41 PM

Yes, the experience can be very good. The refurb Early 2008 MBP I bought a few months ago looked brand new out of the box. It may have been ordered and then refused. I can't say everyone has that experience with the refurb store, but I was very impressed. Now I didn't have great luck with a refurb iPod photo I bought, but that's not quite on topic.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Jan 9, 2009 at 04:32 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2009, 09:17 PM

Though my [refurb] MBP has had it's share of issues, it is a great deal and all you really miss out on is the nice box (and a few hundred $$ out of your wallet.) If anything it's a safer bet buying refurb, because the refurbs are rigorously tested to make sure they have been fixed whereas the new Macs are not.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2009, 09:31 PM

I'm a huge proponent of buying refurb just about anything. Typically you have the same warranty as new and save a nice chunk of change.

I've bought a refurb Powerbook and 2 refurb MacBooks and had no troubles (except for one being stolen and the other having water dumped all over it).

BigBadWolf
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2009, 10:24 PM

My previous laptop (17" Powerbook) was purchased as a refurb. It was around $500 cheaper. I had the computer for several years without any major problems. Plus, I was still able to get AppleCare which fixed any of the issues that I did have.

Edit: I just read a previous comment, my computer came in a proper Apple box.

Ted L. Nancy
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2009, 10:25 PM

Another for Apple refurbs.

(I've owned four different pieces of Apple refurb hardware: my current Mac Pro, 2 latops, and an ACD.)
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

mall007
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2009, 06:05 PM

My last 2 machines have been Refurbs, iMac 20 inch, 949.00 and MacBook for 849.00. No problems what so ever....and a great price as well.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2009, 06:11 PM

My Macbook is a refurb. Great price and I love it. The only thing that has gone wrong with it is the upper case has cracked but I doubt that's got much to do with it being a refurb. To be safe, I did buy Applecare though.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2009, 11:34 AM

just to reassure, my refurb came in looking brand new and the build quality is lots better than my first MBP (2.0 1st gen).
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

shrugs*
Jan 12, 2009, 04:09 PM

I'm another happy refurb owner, purchased my MBP about 4 weeks ago.
Macbook Pro + Sawtooth

Cold Warrior
Jan 12, 2009, 04:13 PM

I've purchased maybe one or two Apple refurb products from the Apple Store and have always been satisfied. They arrive looking exactly like a brand new Apple product in the same packaging.

tcphoto
Jan 13, 2009, 11:53 AM

I bought a Powerbook G4 from my local Apple Store that was a returned item. It was as new but the box had a sticker on it that stated the customer returned it because of "buyer remorse". I saved over $300. and I just replaced it after 3.5 years use as my main computer. I would not hesitate to buy a refurbished mac.

Forum Links
Forum Rules