Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Feature on New MacBooks

Feature on New MacBooks
Nassifer
Forum Regular
Jun 1, 2009, 12:40 PM

Hello all I just have a thought that would be a nice little feature for the next gen of macbooks, and so for a built in SD Card reader, or in that just a regular card reader that would read multi cards, I have my camera have to lug an external card reader with me and that kind sucks, I try to be as portable as I can. Just a thought.

Abdulah

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2009, 05:58 PM

I would probably use one if they put it in there.

But it's not gonna happen.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 1, 2009, 06:03 PM

Your camera doesn't support USB?

I find card readers hugely irrelevant, since my cam hooks up directly via USB and iPhoto immediately allows me to import all photographs.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 1, 2009, 06:05 PM

Ain't gonna happen.

Apple never built any card readers in their laptops.
What analogika said is true: syncing of cameras via USB has been standard for years.

What's you camera's make and model ?

-t

Nassifer  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 1, 2009, 06:48 PM

I have an Olympus E620, I just do not like to do it that way I guess I am old school, I do not want to waste the battery life.

Abdulah

Hg2491
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 1, 2009, 07:17 PM

My friend has a slick memory card reader that resembles a USB drive. Here's the link to the Amazon page.

davidbk1
Jun 3, 2009, 01:46 PM

There are also expressCard readers that fit flush if that works for you. I personally don't mind toting a 6" USB cable to plug my camera in.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2009, 01:15 PM

Wow, I'm glad I didn't say I'd eat my hat.

Because it happened (on the 13" and 15" models), and I haven't gotten 'round to making a hat out of fruit leather.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2009, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Ain't gonna happen.

-t
Really?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2009, 04:19 PM

Turtle would like you to spell that "O'Rly". And add a like he would dammit.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 8, 2009, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug View Post
Wow, I'm glad I didn't say I'd eat my hat.

Because it happened (on the 13" and 15" models), and I haven't gotten 'round to making a hat out of fruit leather.
I'm stunned.

WTF, Apple?

Anybody doing serious on-location recording work now buys the least-portable 17" MacBook Pro just to get a second storage (Firewire or eSATA) bus?

Seriously, WTF?

I mean, the 13" MacBook w/ better screen, FW800 and backlit keyboard is my perfect machine. But the card slot?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2009, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
I'm stunned.

WTF, Apple?

Anybody doing serious on-location recording work now buys the least-portable 17" MacBook Pro just to get a second storage (Firewire or eSATA) bus?

Seriously, WTF?

I mean, the 13" MacBook w/ better screen, FW800 and backlit keyboard is my perfect machine. But the card slot?
I do serious on-location recording work, but I gave up using the laptop many years ago. I don't know many people who still use their laptops, either. And the ones that do use the firewire devices (mostly the Digi 003 Rack) that have an additional port built in.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

macfix
Jun 8, 2009, 09:21 PM

"I mean, the 13" MacBook w/ better screen, FW800 and backlit keyboard is my perfect machine. But the card slot?"

I could really go for a 10" netbook from Apple.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 8, 2009, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
I do serious on-location recording work, but I gave up using the laptop many years ago. I don't know many people who still use their laptops, either. And the ones that do use the firewire devices (mostly the Digi 003 Rack) that have an additional port built in.
Additional BUS, not port.

As in, tracking 48 channels into the machine via Firewire, and out to the drives via an ExpressCard.

iampivot
Jun 9, 2009, 01:48 AM

From the tech spec page at apple.com, it now looks like it's only the 13" MBP that supports the apple headset with microphone. It's not mentioned on either the 15" or 17" MBP. Has support for it been removed from these?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2009, 01:51 AM

Do you know of an eSATA EC card that works properly in OS X? It doesn't look like many people have had good luck with them.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2009, 02:17 AM

I just read (on an audio mailing list) from one guy running a cheap €35 eSATA ExpressCard, with no problems whatsoever.

No random unseating, either - that really appears to depend on the card manufacturer. There are FW800 cards that pop right out unless you tape them in, and there are cards that fit snugly and work just fine.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2009, 06:03 AM

As in, tracking 48 channels into the machine via Firewire, and out to the drives via an ExpressCard.
Come on, seriously? How big do you think the market of people who track 48 channels at once without a rack for a desktop machine is?

All glory to the hypnotoad.

PBG4 User
Senior User
Jun 9, 2009, 03:53 PM

Buy the base 15" MBP model introduced last Fall then. They're only $1349 at the Apple refurb store.
20" iMac G5! :D AND MacBook 1.83GHz!
Canon Digital Rebel Kit + 75 - 300mm lens. Yum Yum! :D
Check out my OS X Musical Scales program

bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 9, 2009, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Ain't gonna happen.

What analogika said is true: syncing of cameras via USB has been standard for years.

What's you camera's make and model ?

-t

having said that, this move of apple's to put in the sd card reader feels like it did when they dumped firewire... I don't see this lasting. There are too many other types of mem cards and they put in just one.

Consider:
I shot a film on the Red in Oct of last year. They used CF cards. Most other cams do due to the high volume storage ability.

Sony phones and other accessories use the Sony M2 cards.

Granted that most cameras and such do use SD, but still... i don't see this sticking around for very long.
Backups are like guns and condoms. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2009, 05:17 PM

I'm surprised they didn't go with CF. Can't CF read SD cards anyway? At least that's what I read.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2009, 05:27 PM

Look, they might have actually been tight on space, and CF takes more space.

And really, SD is winning (and it's about time someone did). Sony is putting it in their SLRs, Sony Ericsson is putting it in their phones, it's in lots of flash-based video cameras, and it's the most common card format in all kinds of miscellaneous devices(e.g. the iPod speaker dock I just got). If you're using any other kind of flash memory card these days, it's in a camera, and you can decide whether to get a card reader or plug the camera in with a cable.

Yes, a lot of high-end stuff uses CF, but they're a pretty small slice of the overall market these days.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2009, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug View Post
Yes, a lot of high-end stuff uses CF, but they're a pretty small slice of the overall market these days.
Well, it makes sense to include the consumer standard in the Pro 'books, rather than the professional standard, I suppose…

Of course, the audio industry, which now thankfully gets FW 800 on the 13", is flabbergasted over the killing of ExpressCard on the 15" machines (only two or three years after everybody finally got all their outrageously expensive outboard crap upgraded to ExpressCard). So it's probably just that talking...

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 9, 2009, 05:44 PM

I still don't get why Apple chose FW800 plus SD slot over EC/34. The latter would have given people so much more options (including both of the former).

What are the chances the SD slot will stay around for about as long as the sans-FW MB? And with what will they replace it?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2009, 05:47 PM

On the 13", there's no question: FW800 + SD slot uses WAY less internal space than the entire recessed EC34 with connection architecture.

on the 15", I imagine that a trade-off against battery capacity may have weighed in, as well.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 9, 2009, 05:54 PM

Space, eh?

Then why did they add the SD card slot if that meant reducing the battery size (or integrating it) and/or removing an audio port? Why should an SD slot be that important?

Seriously. It's not a rhetorical question.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2009, 05:55 PM

Because it's semi-pro.

Or something.

Pro machine - gotta have them slots, else people is gonna be bitchin', you know.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2009, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
Really?
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Turtle would like you to spell that "O'Rly". And add a like he would dammit.
Ouch. I was as wrong as Simon was on his FW prediction.

Ah well, we're even

But to be honest: the FW is infinitely more useful than the SD card slot. If I had to chose, I would have preferred that I was wrong.

-t
( Last edited by turtle777; Jun 9, 2009 at 06:30 PM. )

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 9, 2009, 06:25 PM

Pro machine - gotta have them slots, else people is gonna be bitchin', you know.
SD card and pro? Not really. But hey, whatever.

megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 9, 2009, 06:34 PM

What do people think of the possibility this will support SDXC? SDHC is a given but that's now maxed out at 32GB...
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2009, 06:50 PM

Well, it makes sense to include the consumer standard in the Pro 'books, rather than the professional standard, I suppose…
Okay, you got me. Though, really, the 13" models especially are going to sell to plenty of non-pro users. And probably a good many pro Mac users don't have a dog in the CF/SD fight, if they're not photo or video pros.
Of course, the audio industry, which now thankfully gets FW 800 on the 13", is flabbergasted over the killing of ExpressCard on the 15" machines (only two or three years after everybody finally got all their outrageously expensive outboard crap upgraded to ExpressCard). So it's probably just that talking...
That does seem like a real bummer. Claiming space constraints as an excuse for not throwing it into the 13"ers seems valid (esp. since I don't think the last <15" Mac laptop that had an expansion slot was Pismo). But removing it from the 15" sucks for y'all. I wonder if they did a lot of market research on how much use the ExpressCard got, or if it was just the whim of a product manager.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2009, 06:54 PM

Hey, plenty of reason for the audio industry to upgrade to 17"

-t

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2009, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
SD card and pro? Not really. But hey, whatever.
"Semi-pro. Or something."

You don't do sarcasm, eh?

I thought the tone of my post was bitter enough.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2009, 03:01 AM

Oh no, I got the sarcasm. It was funny indeed. But after an hour it wore off.

I'm still waiting for a reply form somebody who has some decent armchair reasoning to offer. So far all I see is people with painted on their faces. But as I said, I'm actually curious what possible reasoning could have led to this choice. So far nothing really plausible has come up.

Forum Links
Forum Rules