Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > No WIFI on Dec 08 Unibody MBP when running closed lid mode

No WIFI on Dec 08 Unibody MBP when running closed lid mode
Cloud
Aug 27, 2009, 08:00 PM

Pretty much what the title says, I'm trying to find out why it doesn't work. Before I hook it up to an external display, the wifi runs fine. But as soon as I connect it to the display, close the lid and start using my computer on my external display, the wifi stops working.

anyone have any ideas on how i can fix this?

on a separate note, safari + mozilla keeps giving me the loading wheels. mind you safari 4 has been hanging since i installed it 2 weeks ago.... but the loading times are terrible, it even times out after about 2mins.

thanks.

amazing
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2009, 09:16 PM

if the wifi/external monitor problem is so easily reproducible, any particular reason you haven't taken in to be looked at?

Cloud  (op)
Aug 27, 2009, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by amazing View Post
if the wifi/external monitor problem is so easily reproducible, any particular reason you haven't taken in to be looked at?
I just got the monitor from Dell. it's still new.

amazing
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2009, 12:00 AM

Dell! I know, that's absolutely got to be the problem, Dell sabotage! (just kidding.)

Back to troubleshooting: If the monitor's attached, with the laptop lid open, does the wifi disappear? If you do an extended desktop, with the Dell monitor showing for example the main desktop picture and the laptop display showing something else, do you still have wifi?

Because if the wifi disappears only when you close the laptop lid (clamshell mode with external monitor) then perhaps the wifi router signal is being hidden by some hunks of metal?? If this is what's happening you could try relocating either the laptop (moving it to the alternate side of the Dell monitor) or relocating the wireless router.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 28, 2009, 04:04 AM

Closing the lid means rotating the antennas (they're built into the lid). Even with MIMO setups the relative orientation of wifi antennas is an important factor when it comes to bandwidth and wifi performance. To check if this is the issue, see if rotating your MBP (or router antenna) has any effect. when you lose the signal.

If not, you should bring in your MBP and have it fixed.

Cloud  (op)
Aug 30, 2009, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
To check if this is the issue, see if rotating your MBP (or router antenna) has any effect. when you lose the signal.

If not, you should bring in your MBP and have it fixed.
What is really weird now that I am using my MBP detached from the screen, the wifi works fine, but when attached, it loses its connection even though the signal strength is full and says connected.

Although when the internet does work, the safari browser hangs, but mozilla somewhat works.

This is annoying.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 31, 2009, 06:16 AM

Is the only difference that you connect the external screen? Or are you also changing the position of the MBP's internal screen (open/closed lid)?

You say that even when it works stuff hangs. It sounds like your wireless connection is flaky. Have you tried using a different channel?

Cloud  (op)
Aug 31, 2009, 10:43 AM

i havent no. Although I'm already thinking my wifi is flaky. I'm connected to an ethernet cable and it works fine. I might have to take this into the Apple store now.

rexx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2009, 06:40 PM

the same is true for my 17 in unibody. with my 24 inch led display connected and the lid close, wi-fi is useless, present but useless.

Forum Links
Forum Rules