Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Airport Express drops signal, gets signal, drops signal, etc. etc.

Airport Express drops signal, gets signal, drops signal, etc. etc.
Thorzdad
Oct 2, 2016, 04:00 PM

First, my setup.
Modem is hard-wired to Airport Extreme (4th gen) Router. Everything else in house connects via wifi to Extreme.
About 10 feet away from the Extreme is my AirPortExpress (2nd gen) which is wired to my vintage Pioneer SX-650. I Airtunes music from my iMac to the Express. It's been working flawlessly for a couple of years now.

Today, though, after a couple of hours of playing music as I worked, the music started dropping in and out. It would play for about six seconds, then drop-out for three seconds, then come back for six, then drop-out again. It's regular as hell. Like a metronome.

• The Express does not lose power or disappear from the network.
• The inputs on the SX-650 are good. I connected a CD player and the music played fine without interruption.
• I swapped the cables that connect the Express to the SX-650, but that made no difference.
• I did a restart via the Airport Utility, but it didn't make any difference.
• I did a hard reset. No change.
• I did a factory default reset. No change.

I'm kind of stumped where to go from here other than to declare the Express mortally wounded somehow. Are there any other checks or double-secret resets I can try? It's just so weird it started suddenly in the middle of playing. The regularity of the on/off/on/off is making me think something is tripping inside the Express, too. Any idea how to open it up and peek (or, is that even worth the trouble?)

If it's dead...anyone have an old Airport Express gathering dust they'd like to get rid of?

Thanks.
( Last edited by Thorzdad; Oct 2, 2016 at 04:21 PM. )

Thorzdad  (op)
Oct 3, 2016, 11:48 AM

So...After an evening of basic percussive maintenance, including trying to pry the back of the box open, the damned thing is working fine today. We'll see how long this lasts, I guess.

reader50
Administrator
Oct 3, 2016, 12:43 PM

I'm thinking there was interference on your WiFi channel. Maybe pulsing interference. Try setting it to a different channel?

Neighbor Nancy: Every time I turn on the smart blender, when it goes off - I hear those neighbors yelling about something. Like a regular ritual.
Neighbor Bob: Ignore it. We believe in freedom of religion, and tolerance.

Thorzdad  (op)
Oct 3, 2016, 12:53 PM

Wouldn't that have interrupted all the wifi-connected devices, though? My iMac and iPad both could stream music/video without a glitch, and I made sure that the home network was the only network the Express knew about.

Oh well.

Life was so much easier when all you had to do was have a string quartet playing in the parlour.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 3, 2016, 07:52 PM

WiFi interference is more noticeable with streaming data; it was never designed to support that sort of data transfer, and it really challenges WiFi protocols. File transfers, on the other hand, will just be a bit slower when the interference is present.

So I agree that it was likely interference, not some hardware or software problem. Damned annoying though, I'm sure.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules