Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Minecraft

Minecraft (Page 2)
Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Mar 29, 2011, 11:56 AM

New pics of the crib since i'm bored.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 29, 2011, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Bogues View Post
I thought so too, genearlly when i do find iron its only blocks of 3/4, not close to enough.
I've hit a good run of goal lately finding blocks of 10/15 close to home.
It's a little retarded. They should at least make it easier to find at lower levels.

Thanks,hopefully i have some luck.
Is it better to mine DOWN or into shafts horizontally?
Depends on what you're looking for, but a little bit of both. There's guides on YouTube, but I don't feel like making into science unless it's on of my own making. I've heard mention that ore is more likely to spawn in the walls of caverns underground, but don't hold me to that.

Dungeon?! I didn't know those existed, let alone contained special items. Do tell more, how do i find such dungeon?
It probably sounds more glamorous than it is. It's a small room (5x5 to 7x7) that contains a Mob spawner and two chests. The chests will have loot.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 29, 2011, 07:15 PM

Each track crafting produces 16 tracks not 1. They're tricky like that. It is 3 per cart though. And a decent booster setup takes 2, plus the one your in, and 1 to get back so if you miss the cart you don't walk, plus 2 for the booster at the other end...

It's just that you can cover ground allot faster in a cavern and see allot more surface area while your at it. Its also allot easier to get killed.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 29, 2011, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
Each track crafting produces 16 tracks not 1.
Doh!

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 29, 2011, 10:22 PM

Okay the tour:
Here's the front view and a good explanation why I haven't cooked smooth stone for my buildings. 1/4 of the way if from the left is the pit mine, more later. The renderer doesn't like distances.

From the front left tower to give better scale and detail. Its 6 floors right now not counting the 3 water elevators and access tunnels.

Here the right side of the keep entryway. About the only decorating I have done. Don't try this in a wooden house. That "rug" is just out of range of the lava source block. I haven't built a portal to the Nether yet so it's faux fire for now.

Here's the view from the top looking over the mob spawner, which blocks the view of the pit mine, to the sand pit. Ooh a monorail.

This is were the mob spawner and a few surface canals leads. I'm standing about 7 above sea level. It just through the gap in the cactus in the first photo. It was fun building it underground. See the ladders, very important anti spider safety feature.

In the basement. Get in and press the button. I have it rigged so an empty cart detector at the pit mine controls if you stop there.

Traveling along the monorail, almost to the pit mine. The booster is needed to get back up the hill and to make sure empty carts travel all the way (which they don't on the way back ATM.)

The view down the hole. Remember this is from Y 77, the bottom is at Y 25. If the boat is busted it's faster to jump into the water ladder and build a boat at the bottom than it is to take the stairs.

The view from the tower in the distance. This is were I get my sand. And there are unexplored caverns underneath that I almost got sucked into by quicksand.

andi*pandi
Mar 30, 2011, 11:11 AM

Oh wow. I will show my son and he will flip.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 30, 2011, 12:13 PM

Well, I think we've been put in our place.

That said, I'm not overly fond of cobblestone, though that's nothing the right texture pack can't fix.

In the basement. Get in and press the button. I have it rigged so an empty cart detector at the pit mine controls if you stop there.
Yeah, I don't get it. The press of a button accelerates the cart?

I've watched some interesting videos. I like redstone circuits in theory, but they require some odd (read: ugly) construction to remain fucntional (From what I've seen). It'd be nice if you could lace all the major building blocks (Sandstone, Stone, Brick) with redstone to create "wired" blocks you can imbed in walls or floors but still carry a current.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 30, 2011, 02:23 PM

BTW, I tried one of the texture packs on my 2010 iMac and maxed the settings and Minecraft's framerate completely died. God, java sucks. Not to mention after I'm done playing it's chewed through all my inactive memory and Safari (and the rest of the open apps) becomes a dog for a while.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 30, 2011, 02:56 PM

I have a completely, 95%-free weekend (one small dinner with friends took my 5%), but I'm dying for it to get here so I can make some progress on building my dream fortress.

Yesterday, I restarted the game about a dozen times until the world looked like somewhere worth building. I've got a rudimentary two-story house set up, but I've got a way to go before I post pictures.

This thread single-handedly piqued my interest. As I said before, the first time around I played about 30 minutes, had no idea what was going on, and gave up. A few YouTube tutorials and one Minecraft reference iPad app later, I'm in business and totally hooked. I turned Tiger 12 on last night, but didn't play a single round due to Minecraft keeping me at the desk.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 30, 2011, 02:58 PM

Finally understanding what is required to build a place like this, I'm 100% blown away. Awesome stuff.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 30, 2011, 02:59 PM

Once again, we need an NN server. Surely some nerd who would help us lurking this thread.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2011, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Well, I think we've been put in our place.
Don't feel bad, thats what 2 weeks during a stint of unemployment will do. Progress has slowed dramatically.

Yeah, I don't get it. The press of a button accelerates the cart?
Buried behind and below the wall is a door booster and a simple auto reset booster. The button triggers the door, the cart falls into the reset booster to drive it up to floor level were it boosts the cart your in. That way the ugly is buried. I prefer the door booster to the perpetual motion systems were you use a T in the track to divert an always moving cart though it needs a second booster to achieve usable energies anywhere but right at the booster.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 30, 2011, 03:05 PM

I don't think you grasp the level of ignorance here. Door booster and auto reset booster have no meaning here.

Anyway, you've given me a little more focus for some ideas I was tossing around.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2011, 03:17 PM

Those are key phrases for you to google / youtube so smarter people than I can walk you through them. I've built a Redstone T flip flop, and while I understand how to build an AND gate from Redstone inverters, the t flip flop surpasses my hazy digital electronics knowledge.

Fundamentally there's a repulsive force between mine carts. When two (or more) are trapped on parallel tracks the feedback produces a net gain in energy.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 30, 2011, 03:34 PM

Those are key phrases for you to google / youtube so smarter people than I can walk you through them.
Yeah half the videos I watch are still unintelligible.

Fundamentally there's a repulsive force between mine carts. When two (or more) are trapped on parallel tracks the feedback produces a net gain in energy.
Somehow I have learned this already. It's a strange mechanic which leaves me wondering what would cause someone to implement it or how it would arise as a bug.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 30, 2011, 04:20 PM

My Sand Home is now a Sand Castle, including a moat that leads to a flawed but functioning monster chewer at the bottom.
Your foyer looks like the 5th Ave. Apple Store.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 30, 2011, 04:35 PM

I built a safehouse that is a full-on glass cube.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 30, 2011, 06:05 PM

Just burned 7 hours today making my first shelter, seeking out my first iron ore...and yeah, thats about it. My 'house' is slightly haphazard, but starting to be refined thanks to an absolute glut of cobblestone. I decided to mine straight through a mountain (started at the beach). so I'm using a multi-tiered dwelling which is currently about 100 blocks long and 20 blocks wide by two stories tall. Started a huge tree farm close by, within two days I had 16 fully grown trees, had enough saplings to replant them all, and also increase its size by 50%.

Basically I am still completely out of my league with you guys, but I'm learning.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2011, 06:54 PM

Door booster in 2

I circled where the ladder keeps the cart B from moving far enough forward to get past the closed door. It also means when it falls its slightly behind the other cart A.
The repulsive force only checks in the x,z plane so when the carts approach in the y plane it's missed. Then the front of B is before the back of A and (net forward) and the back of A is behind the front of B (net forward again). The lateral forces are absorbed by the underail-able nature of the track.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2011, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Started a huge tree farm close by, within two days I had 16 fully grown trees, had enough saplings to replant them all, and also increase its size by 50%.
I have about 20 trees in a grove which I chop through periodically. I use charcoal as my primary fuel source instead of coal. I gave about 15 full stacks of torches at the moment and my next two biggest uses of wood are replacing broken boats and pick handles.

So I could cook enough cobble but thats allot of blocks to replace. Besides I kind of prefer the more mortared stone appearance. It says this guy is to busy and not pretentious enough to have his castle plastered.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Mar 30, 2011, 08:04 PM

Finally hit the jackpot mining today,
Extended my current mine to bedrock and found a few diamonds only to soon hit a lava stream, followed the flow to its source and found a lava and waterfall combo, generating natural obsidian. Also a connected group of caves housed 3 stacks of red stone, 3 stacks of coal, 30 iron, more diamonds.
Decided to return with a newly made diamond pick and gathered 15 obsidian, used 10 for a portal. Good stuff

Also made a compass which has been invaluable during long explorations.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2011, 08:32 PM

Well now that I have a positive cash flow I could up the ram in my nas and host a server on that. Id need to solve the intermitent zfs kernel panic first though. The though of moderating it isn't appealing. At least here a flame war doesn't result in things actually burning.
( Last edited by BLAZE_MkIV; Mar 30, 2011 at 09:37 PM. )

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 31, 2011, 11:50 AM

This game is consuming my waking thoughts.

Starting to get pretty deep, and finally hitting a decent amount of coal and iron. Found my way into an existing cave system and took a break mining down. Wanted to add lots more glass blocks so I start harvesting sand from the beach to the left of my main entrance. Get down about a quarter mile and see some light emanating from the ground. Turns out its a lava hole with the ocean right up against it, got a ton of Obsidian waiting for a Diamond pickaxe.

Now I'm starting to realize I don't know enough options to make use of my materials. My mine is about 5 'room's deep and is starting to be a pain to traverse. Is the best solution simply making another 'home' underground with its own furnace and crafting bench, or is there something else I'm unaware of? Also, what use is a boat to someone at my point in the game? I've only got one mine helixing its way into the earth, is that something I only need to worry about once I've mined a great deal on my island?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 31, 2011, 12:22 PM

So I could cook enough cobble but thats allot of blocks to replace. Besides I kind of prefer the more mortared stone appearance. It says this guy is to busy and not pretentious enough to have his castle plastered.
So what does sandstone say? "I like my castle like I like my women; white, pretty, and difficult to enter."

Finally hit the jackpot mining today,
Did my advice help?

Also made a compass which has been invaluable during long explorations.
I make roads everywhere I go, so it's easy not to get lost. I may scout a little bit before creating roads to destinations, but I never set out for more than a day and I always try to start heading home before sunset.

Well now that I have a positive cash flow I could up the ram in my nas and host a server on that. Id need to solve the intermitent zfs kernel panic first though. The though of moderating it isn't appealing. At least here a flame war doesn't result in things actually burning.
From what I've read the ideal solution is to have a whitelist.

This game is consuming my waking thoughts.
There's definitely a Sims quality to it all. Instead of planning how I'll design and decorate my house when I earn enough money, it's what I'll build once I have enough resources.

Is the best solution simply making another 'home' underground with its own furnace and crafting bench, or is there something else I'm unaware of?
Eh, depends on your style. I'm trying to roleplay a slightly more realistic approach; The only non-home bed I have is a "camp site" I built outside one of the crevasses. Otherwise I go forth and survive by my wits. The most I did was build a crafting table on the bottom of a mine so I could build a diamond pickaxe right there and get to mining. I consider that a bit of a special circumstance.

What I plan on doing is scouting coordinates to find one of lower caves that coincides with a flat parcel of land at sea level where I will bore down and create some kind of quick passage to and fro.

Also, what use is a boat to someone at my point in the game? I've only got one mine helixing its way into the earth, is that something I only need to worry about once I've mined a great deal on my island?
They're good for exploring. I used mine to find land with clay, sugar cane, snow, and cacti by sailing to different biomes.

---

I haven't had much time to play this game this week.I logged on briefly last night, tried to make a monster chewer using the dunegeon I found for meat, poorly implemented it and fell in fighting zombies/trying to fix it. I managed to recover most of my resources, but I lost some and I'm a little pissed because I don't find feather all that valuable anyway.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Mar 31, 2011, 12:43 PM

Did my advice help?
Immensely, i also watched a short video on mining and the combo made me not only more organized but more productive.
I make roads everywhere I go, so it's easy not to get lost. I may scout a little bit before creating roads to destinations, but I never set out for more than a day and I always try to start heading home before sunset.
Great idea, i'm never gone longer than a day but i usually mark good locals with large towers, roads would make the trek much easier.

Other news, entered the portal, not much to see but lava and enemies, gathered some netherrack, made a quick fireplace with brick and nether, infinite fire....cool

EDIT:
Picture for reference

Also logged on this morning to find an "update" first one i've encountered, looks like Beta 1.4 now, any idea what the changes are? if any?
( Last edited by Kevin Bogues; Mar 31, 2011 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Pics)

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2011, 12:45 PM

A water elevator is a simple design for traveling vertically at near terminal velocity. And it uses a boat. You can see the part of the one in the pit mine in the picture and I have another to the caverns. I have a crafting bench, furnace and several chests in the center of my grid mine to save the round trip to the surface to make new picks or store spoil. I don't see enough iron to use it to mine stone and stone picks wear out fast. Good thing the supply of them is infinite. (you can make an infinite amount of cobble from lava and water if you set it up right.)

In the skeleton dungeon I found I built a 1 wide canal around the sides leading to a spot around a corner (to limit the light) were a ladder keeps a lava flow elevated across the top half of the tunnel, then the water travels under the wall to were I can stand.

The best way I've seen to disable a spawner is to fill the room with sand from above. Then you can dig it out when its lit up. I died three times trying to get enough torches in to disable the spawner.

I think I'll set up a server on my MacPro first and we can see how things go. If everyone looses interest in SMP I won't have invested much effort. Also FreeNAS is in serious flux ATM. I'm planning on having mobs on so I'll need some time to set it up so newbs don't spawn into a hot-zone.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 31, 2011, 01:35 PM

Great idea, i'm never gone longer than a day but i usually mark good locals with large towers, roads would make the trek much easier.
Speaking of towers, I've been considering building a Borgia Tower for my locale (and perhaps adding more at other locales as I expand.

Adding a wooden top would be easy. The diving board would be easy too... the problem might be guaranteeing when you jump from it you always land in water (since there's no hay) but otherwise, it could turn out really cool.

Other news, entered the portal, not much to see but lava and enemies, gathered some netherrack, made a quick fireplace with brick and nether, infinite fire....cool
God damn you Bogues, I can't belive you beat me to this. If I hadn't been swamped the past two nights I would have gotten it done. Damn you!

A water elevator is a simple design for traveling vertically at near terminal velocity. And it uses a boat. You can see the part of the one in the pit mine in the picture and I have another to the caverns.
Exactly what I'm thinking. I can then create a small camp at the top of the shaft if I need/want.

I think I'll set up a server on my MacPro first and we can see how things go. If everyone looses interest in SMP I won't have invested much effort. Also FreeNAS is in serious flux ATM. I'm planning on having mobs on so I'll need some time to set it up so newbs don't spawn into a hot-zone.
That'd be cool, but don't bust your balls or anything. I worry that nature of this forum (and investing so much time into Singleplayer) might make the effort heavily outweigh the reward. I was looking on Minecraft.net and I think I found a few deserted servers we might be able to meet-up to test the concept out.

Fellas?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2011, 01:40 PM

It's also possible to use MCEdit and just copy our singleplayer creations directly into the multiplayer world. I wouldn't be willing to keep synchronizing them, but the idea of bring in my castle wholesale isn't unappealing.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 31, 2011, 01:46 PM

It's also possible to use MCEdit and just copy our singleplayer creations directly into the multiplayer world. I wouldn't be willing to keep synchronizing them, but the idea of bring in my castle wholesale isn't unappealing.
Is it possible to merge several worlds into one? That sounds like undertaking in and off itself?

But yeah, if that's possible, it's practically ideal as it allows us to each other on tours of our respective lands.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2011, 02:00 PM

For something like my castle which is 90% surface features it wouldn't be bad, i'd just need to find a good hill, the mines and tunnels I wouldn't bring in. Now if someone had a network of roads criss crossing everywhere or large scale geological features thats different entirely.

You can just zip up the map folder and send it to someone too.

My though is to divide the world radially from the spawn into 8 or so slices, fences and neighbors. generating a world with a good mix of bio domes in each direction would be key.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 31, 2011, 02:02 PM

Shit just got real.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 31, 2011, 02:56 PM

I'm very interested, though I'd have to be walked through this process like a little child.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 31, 2011, 03:01 PM

Like a child?

Well, I have the van, but I do need to go buy more candy.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2011, 03:03 PM

go to ~/Library/ApplicationSupport/minecraft/saves and theres a folder for each world. (~ means your user folder) There was a time I would have written that in applescript path syntax not unix.
Remember Time Machine takes regular snapshots of this directory too.

Obviously the 4 cardinal directions are the most prized for aesthetics of the view from the spawn. Do people have a preference for hills, plains or waterfront?

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Mar 31, 2011, 03:45 PM

Speaking of towers, I've been considering building a Borgia Tower for my locale (and perhaps adding more at other locales as I expand.

Adding a wooden top would be easy. The diving board would be easy too... the problem might be guaranteeing when you jump from it you always land in water (since there's no hay) but otherwise, it could turn out really cool.
This is a FANTASTIC idea, I hope you don't mind if i give it a run myself, My main concern is i want to be able to trek to the top using stairs, could be time consuming in a small square area but i'll give it a run. I plan on lighting it up like a Christmas tree so that its an obvious (obnoxious?) landmark from all sides.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 31, 2011, 03:52 PM

This is a FANTASTIC idea, I hope you don't mind if i give it a run myself, My main concern is i want to be able to trek to the top using stairs, could be time consuming in a small square area but i'll give it a run. I plan on lighting it up like a Christmas tree so that its an obvious (obnoxious?) landmark from all sides.
Yeah, go ahead. I think the ideal base is 7 x7, and I'm definitely adding ladders, but there will be landings. My real question is how tall? I want it to be able to give a good Eagle's eye view of surrounding land, but I also want it to look properly scaled to it compared to its xbox counter part.

I wouldn't mind trying this out on an empty server (It'll be easier with multiple parties).

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Mar 31, 2011, 05:45 PM

Yeah, go ahead. I think the ideal base is 7 x7, and I'm definitely adding ladders, but there will be landings. My real question is how tall? I want it to be able to give a good Eagle's eye view of surrounding land, but I also want it to look properly scaled to it compared to its xbox counter part.

I wouldn't mind trying this out on an empty server (It'll be easier with multiple parties).
Gave it a quick shot took under an hour but decided to go with 4x4 to enclose my spiral style all stone staircase that runs from top to bottom through the middle. Its not perfect by any means but its a quick early take.

That left side in the picture requires a little more "assassin like" moves to get up the ladders, Leap of faith into the lake works like a charm. i looked up on the wiki you need 3 blocks of water to not take any damage, i dug out the front edge of the water to make sure i could take the fall.

View from the top

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 31, 2011, 05:49 PM

Wow, the ladders really ugly it up. Looks like dirt in small view.

The 4 x 4 looks closer to the proper scale versus your own sprite. Tough.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 31, 2011, 05:56 PM

Well I think I've done enough to warrant pictures. Still have yet to find anything more rare than gold (besides my Obsidian lucky draw) but I've got two rather deep mines, both connected to several cave systems each, and I think I encountered my first mob spawner, but I have no idea what to do. My mine dropped into a cave, but I can't see anything or get anywhere without being swamped by zombies. I walled it up until further exploration.

The front door, looks a bit haphazard on the exterior, but the inside is full of glass staircases and nice waterfall that winds down to the fourth level. At that point I found another water source so I walled it up in a glass room, lit with torches for ambience. I've abandoned the third story, but the skylights remain, second floor is my master bedroom complete with my first bed.

Courtyard, tree farm #1 (right) tree farm #2 (straight). When I began the water was one block from my doorstep. To the left is the stone walkway to my lava pit.

Mine #1 (left) and Mine #2 (right). This room is by far the biggest, mostly due to its height. Mine #1 is abandoned for now, Mine #2 started as a diagonal (downward) dig straight back through the mountain from my front door. It ended up connecting to several caves, including the unexplored one with the zombies.

Protected walkway leading from front courtyard to the lava pit. Glass building with all the good stuff inside (furnace, 2 big chests, table). Beginnings of my first railway, but as you can see I still need lots more iron ore.

Lava pit, complete with Obsidian waiting for a Diamond Pickaxe, and water trench ready for action to make more.

Basically, I'm hooked, hard. Never thought I'd enjoy this game as much as I am.

Edit: Took another picture of my master bedroom, with Mine #2's door visible through the glass floor.
( Last edited by sek929; Mar 31, 2011 at 06:03 PM. )

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Mar 31, 2011, 05:59 PM

Wow, the ladders really ugly it up. Looks like dirt in small view.

The 4 x 4 looks closer to the proper scale versus your own sprite. Tough.
Agreed on the ladders, they will probably be removed or possibly left on one side instead of two,

EDIT: i am stupid, i see what your saying about scale

What do you think of the top, any better ideas??
( Last edited by Kevin Bogues; Mar 31, 2011 at 06:13 PM. )

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Mar 31, 2011, 06:02 PM

good work sek,
makes me really want to get a railway going, i wish iron wasn't so god damn hard to come by

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 31, 2011, 06:29 PM

Must be nice to have lava so close to the surface.

I like the mine hall with entrances.

…and I didn't notice the railway. Bastard.

I am going to go nuts when I have free time this weekend.

Thinine
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2011, 06:39 PM

I made a cart track to the bedrock level that I never use except to ride the cars up and down. One peculiar thing though is that the cart train will freak out and go up by itself. When it comes back down it brings me a present sometimes. A pig or sometimes a cow, riding in a cart, since my upper landing area has a grass floor and animals spawn in there all the time. The animal is always stuck in the cart. It's hilarious.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 31, 2011, 07:15 PM

Within minutes of me making the cart a sheep was already stuck in it.

ANother hilarious event was when I was tidying up my lava pit a chicken came flying down and got annihilated by the hot lava right in front of my eyes.

Well, just mere minutes after posting that I haven't found anything I returned to the zombie area. No spawner but the following...26 Redstone, One diamond, and a whole pit of Obsidian. Also saw a lava waterfall in the distance through a small hole.

I think I'm about to hit a jackpot.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2011, 07:47 PM

yeah, wait till you get a creeper in your cart. $^%$^%$%^

Here's me world for those who want more than screen shots.
http://blazemkiv.dyndns.org/Files/Earth 2.zip
( Last edited by BLAZE_MkIV; Mar 31, 2011 at 08:01 PM. )

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 31, 2011, 11:57 PM

It sounds like we have enough interest here that we could actually warrant a MacNN server. I have a spare Windows PC I use as a garage computer that I'd have no problem leaving on all the time. Only issue is its wireless is flaky. But I move in a week and at that point I can run ethernet where ever I want to, so I'm willing to host. Anyone know what recommended requirements for a server are? It's a 1.6 Atom with 2GB of RAM and a bunch of hard drive space.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 1, 2011, 04:31 AM

That surface lava field yielded 30 Obsidian.

Mine #2 revealed a huge lava fall / waterfall combo, tons more redstone (damned if I know how to use it), and a decent amount of diamonds.

Suppose sleep is in order...

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2011, 07:43 AM

I spent 4 hours last night generating and exploring maps trying to find one with a local suitable to transposing my castle on too. No hills with a large enough footprint. So instead i'm going to explore my works a little further and see if it suitable.

There's a web app that ranks your computer and Internet bandwidth to calc the number of clients you can host. I scored 8 due to comcasts limited uploads, but that would be 8 besides me.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Apr 1, 2011, 09:22 AM

There's a web app that ranks your computer and Internet bandwidth to calc the number of clients you can host. I scored 8 due to comcasts limited uploads, but that would be 8 besides me.
Care to link? A quick Google didn't turn anything up for me.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 1, 2011, 09:27 AM

I'm reading up how to merge maps. If we get this up and running I will try to combine everyone's maps into a giant world. Which would be pretty damn awesome.

Forum Links
Forum Rules