Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Windows easier than MacOS

Windows easier than MacOS
Balthisar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2000, 12:08 AM

Now that I have your attention, I'll ask my question, then explain the title of my post. When using Multiple Users under System 9 (okay, okay, "OS 9"), how can I stop the bloody computer from setting up documents folders on the boot drive? I have a very nice partition set aside for all my documents, and I'd like to keep it that way.

Now the title of my post -- it's easy to do in Windows if you're a registry expert, i.e., eliminate the stupid "My Documents" and point to another drive. I've been a Mac user *way* longer than a Windows user.

tonymac
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2000, 12:43 AM

Actually, you don't even have to edit the registry. Just right-click My Documents, choose properties, and change the path to whichever partition you want to use. I haven't really used Multiple Users with OS 9, so I don't know how to go about doing it. You may want to look for a copy of David Pogue's Mac OS 9: Missing Manual. It may have some suggestions.

bojangles
Senior User
Sep 15, 2000, 11:06 AM

If you don't need the Documents folder at all (I know I certainly don't), here's a simple workaround: an AppleScript!

If exists folder "Documents" of folder "[username]" of folder "Users" of startup disk
Select folder "Documents" of folder "[username]" of folder "Users" of startup disk
delete selection
empty trash

Save it as a Classic applet, put it in the appropriate Startup Items folder, and you should be set! (I also use a startup script to automatically arrange my partition icons the way I like them.)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never tell if they’re attributed to the right person.”
—Abraham Lincoln

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2000, 11:53 AM

Even easier guys. Open the general control control panel, and click "Last folder used by application" instead of "Document folder"

------------------
-See Yea!

Forum Links
Forum Rules