Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > What are you using your G5 for?

What are you using your G5 for?
laieboy
Forum Regular
May 19, 2010, 03:30 PM

Since my G5 can't process AVCHD files and can't playback YouTube HD files I was wondering what else I can use it for besides storing MP3 files? Sucks that I payed so much for this thing and it's pretty useless to me now.

BTW, I have a C2D iMac for movie editing.
Mac Pro 3.2 GHz Dual-Quad Core • iMac 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo • MacBook Pro 15" 2.0 GHz i7 Quad Core

reader50
Administrator
May 19, 2010, 04:56 PM

My G5 plays back HD files just fine. Have you tried VLC and MPlayer OSX Extended? Since you have a dual-processor, go into preferences and turn on multithreaded video decode.

As to YouTube videos, even if you can't play them back in Flash, you can use various solutions to download the files and play locally. FireFox plugins make downloading the files particularly easy.

My G5 is used for all computing tasks.

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 19, 2010, 05:09 PM

I think he's referring to Apple's video editing apps not supporting AVCHD on PowerPC.

Safari + HTML5 YouTube should take care of the YouTube HD issue.

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
May 21, 2010, 11:03 PM

Multithreaded video decode? Where is this? I was totally unaware... that's an option I can't seem to find either in "Basic" or "All" mode.
I don't see it in MPEG OS X Extended either.

Laieboy:
Can you run the OpenGL Extensions Viewer "GLView 3.0" and let me know the results?
Have you tried updating your version of flash from the current garbage version to the latest release candidate?
Try labs.adobe.com and see how that goes.

Mine improved greatly but I'm also running an nVidia GeForce7800GS and I can play HD everything.

I mainly use my G5 for recording music (recording studio), recording videos, playback of same, a home entertainment appliance, as well as other stuff
(email, internet, webserver, etc).
( Last edited by Todd Madson; May 21, 2010 at 11:22 PM. )

reader50
Administrator
May 21, 2010, 11:44 PM

Multithread video decode, courtesy of the FFmpeg project.

MPlayer OSX Extended (Rev 11 or 12):
Preferences -> Video (tab) -> Decoding and Filters (zone) -> checkbox "Use multithreaded ffmpeg build (experimental - can cause crashes)"

MPlayer OSX Extended (Rev 13):
Preferences -> MPlayer (tab) -> MPlayer binaries: (list) -> click "Official MPlayer SVN with FFmpeg-MT" -> Click the "Use this binary" button.

VLC: couldn't find the option. I thought I'd run across it at one point.

Movist: couldn't find the option here either.
( Last edited by reader50; May 21, 2010 at 11:50 PM. )

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
May 22, 2010, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Multithread video decode, courtesy of the FFmpeg project.

MPlayer OSX Extended (Rev 11 or 12):
Preferences -> Video (tab) -> Decoding and Filters (zone) -> checkbox "Use multithreaded ffmpeg build (experimental - can cause crashes)"

MPlayer OSX Extended (Rev 13):
Preferences -> MPlayer (tab) -> MPlayer binaries: (list) -> click "Official MPlayer SVN with FFmpeg-MT" -> Click the "Use this binary" button.

VLC: couldn't find the option. I thought I'd run across it at one point.

Movist: couldn't find the option here either.
Got it running on my 2.5 dual G5. Seems to be very solid and smooth - I like it a lot. I had some initial problems with
.13 launching properly so downloaded .12, then updated to .13 - launched and verified the MT option works fine.

Brilliant - another day my G5 keeps running!! I'll eventually update to a new machine but this is more than excellent.

Updates: I can run some HD content with Boinc running with no dropped frames. Unexpected.

Never had any problems with writing music on this machine, I've had some issues with the power supply due to a
transformer in our neighborhood exploding - it had some really bad signs the week after but now the only down-
side is it seems I can't burn certain CD content (superdrive kinda sorta works).

This is more than acceptable performance. And it works even better on my wife's iMac 3.06 ghz - fabulous.

So yeah, Mplayer OS X Extended is a GREAT find - thanks for cluing me in.
( Last edited by Todd Madson; May 22, 2010 at 02:17 PM. )

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 28, 2010, 05:57 AM

And G5s can process AVCHD files with FlamingoHD.

Since we now have a home-built i7 system, our G5 is on secondary duty at my mother's house (currently connected to our LAN by way of BriteView 200Mb Powerline Ethernet Adapters).
( Last edited by Big Mac; May 28, 2010 at 06:40 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
May 28, 2010, 01:10 PM

Another thing to do with a G5 is install CHUD tools and shut nap mode off for best processing "oomph".

Also consider setting the energy saver processor panel, options tab, then set processor performance to "highest".

Thanks for the info re: FlamingoHD as well.

I'm running eight gigs of ram now too.

Forum Links
Forum Rules