Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Should I Get Iphone Now?

Should I Get Iphone Now?
mackandproud
Forum Regular
Dec 11, 2010, 05:04 AM

It's almost to the point where an iphone or some sort of smartphone seems like a necessity.

Whether it's an impromptu restaurant pick, or gps navigation, I don't know of any other device which combines features the way an iphone does.

Should I get one now or wait until mid 2011 for the next revision? The only substantial upgraded feature I want is a better camera.

If I get one now, do you think I could upgrade in mid 2011 or sometime shortly thereafter?

edit--if I get one now, do you recommend the 8, 16, or 32 GB?

edit--what the heck? iphone4 data plan is only $15 a month???? And it has wi fi built in?

This is going to be the easiest decision I ever make. But seriously, if iphone5 has a 10mpixel camera, I might wait (doubt it though).
( Last edited by mackandproud; Dec 12, 2010 at 04:54 AM. )

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 11, 2010, 05:58 AM

Steve says go ahead.

The iPhone's camera is excellent, btw. Above a certain point and below a certain size, more megapixels always equates to a worse camera.

10 mp would probably be shite (it is in most any other cameraphone). I think 6 or 7 would probably more than enough.

Also, the iPhone 4 only comes in 16 and 32 GB.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 11, 2010, 07:26 AM

Not sure what "10 mp would probably be shite" means here-in a phone or in general? In a phone I'd agree-at least for now.

But I'm on the fence on this subject too. I am eligible for the inexpensive upgrade from my 3Gs to a 4 in late February, so I don't know whether to wait or plan to get the new iPhone then. Plus we're looking at moving my wife from an LG "it's not a smart phone but it's pretty bright" to an iPhone 4 around that time too. I'd really like to know what's going to happen with the rumored iPhone 5; there are ambiguous and vague stories/rumors/hopes floating around out there about what exactly might be different in the 5, but to me it seems that there's less real information out there on the "next iPhone" at this point in time than there was on the iPhone 4 many months before it came out.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 11, 2010, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I'd really like to know what's going to happen with the rumored iPhone 5; there are ambiguous and vague stories/rumors/hopes floating around out there about what exactly might be different in the 5, but to me it seems that there's less real information out there on the "next iPhone" at this point in time than there was on the iPhone 4 many months before it came out.
The iPhone 5 will be available around June/July 2011 and be more shiny.

That's about what we know.

-t

amazing
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2010, 10:33 AM

All the rumors are concentrating on the iPad 2 at this point, because that's an easier target. Not many rumors at all on the next gen iPhone, but here's some personal speculation:

--better antenna placement, or at least better antenna implementation, for better data throughput
--less fragile rear covering e.g. not glass
--lighter
--better camera (and if Apple did more megapixels, then it would be well done e.g. better than other cellphones)
--perhaps a better GPS/implementation magic
--faster

So it all depends on whether you want to wait for what's new and drool-worthy, or whether you need to move on from your present phone because, for example, the battery is dying and you'd rather put $$ in a new phone.

When the Verizon CDMA iPhone come out, there's gonna be interesting stuff happening (maybe better, maybe not.)

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 11, 2010, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
The iPhone 5 will be available around June/July 2011 and be more shiny.

That's about what we know.

-t
It'll also be snappier and make the iPhone4 look obsolete.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 11, 2010, 02:16 PM

I'm betting it will be the exact same phone as the 4, with better specs. Just like the 3G/S.

amazing
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2010, 02:31 PM

Also, as the competition heats up next year, you'll probably get better upgrade deals or better retention deals.

ATT is gonna be very nervous about disaffected wireless subscribers defecting to the Verizon iPhone, even if CDMA is a dying standard.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 11, 2010, 02:40 PM

I still don't see a Verizon iPhone happening.

cgc
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2010, 03:47 PM

If you need a smartphone now then get one now.
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes." Frank Drebin, Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult

amazing
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2010, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
I still don't see a Verizon iPhone happening.
yeah, I don't know why Apple would bother, mainly because CDMA doesn't allow for simultaneous data and voice connections AFAIK. So perhaps it'll be a hybrid CDMA/GSM phone ("one iPhone to rule them all!"), or perhaps it'll only be a GSM phone that adds the frequency that T-Mobile needs... who knows?

It's just that the ever-so-reliable rumor mill insists on a Verizon iPhone...

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2010, 12:13 AM

Not sure what "10 mp would probably be shite" means here-in a phone or in general? In a phone I'd agree-at least for now.
The Nokia N8 has an 8mp camera that is quite impressive. The problem with the iPhone 4's camera is that it shoots images that look great at a glance but are heavily processed.

mackandproud  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 12, 2010, 04:58 AM

What do you think the chances are of getting the upgrade rather than full price on iphone5 if I buy iphone4 now?

I know Apple had some sort of special upgrade offer so that a lot more people could upgrade in 2010 rather than waiting for their contract to expire.

Or is that just wishful thinking.

mackandproud  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 12, 2010, 07:06 AM

It seems like the only significant issue is with the antenna. Did Apple resolve that or do you need to buy the plastic bumper?

From what I've seen, the camera seems to be state of the art. I have a feeling that I'll be wanting the 5 real bad when it comes out though...

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 12, 2010, 08:22 AM

Apparently the antenna issue was not only as occasional and limited as Apple suggested, but minor manufacturing tweaks seem to have eliminated the problem completely-you just don't hear about someone with a new iPhone 4 complaining about problems with a "naked" phone giving them problems. On the other hand, a lot of people have "customized" their 4s with a variety of covers/cases/bumpers, so perhaps between the "tweaks" and so many people using some sort of skin it seems that "antennagate" is a non-issue.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2010, 08:28 AM

My impression is that there has been no change at all. People have just stopped caring.

It's just never been a bigger issue than most any other phone has.

Most other manufacturers have since been forced to eat crow, most recently HTC.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2010, 10:37 AM

oh, I think it was a real issue, but that Apple fixed it quietly. I've personally seen early model iPhone4's that very obviously lose signal strength when touched with a single finger in the wrong spot. I've also seen models purchased after Apple's free case promo ended that have no signal loss at all.

pretty sure Apple fixed it quietly so as not to have to admit that they screwed up.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2010, 10:45 AM

I'd really like to know FOR SURE that Apple made a quiet fix.

Is there any reliable information proving that ?

-t

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 12, 2010, 11:32 AM

Yes. I did last Sun and simply love it. at&t has improved the 3G in my areas tremendously since June. No need for Verizon. Less people on at&t after the Verizon release only means things will get better.

I have a 3rd gen Speck Pixelskin HD on it and love it. No reception issues, great voice quality. Very fast 3G. No screen protector. This phone IMO, seems more unresponsive with a screen protector than my 3GS. So I'm going without a screen protector. Keep it in a belt holster with the HD on.

I would not keep this phone in your pants pocket. As with other modern Smartphones the RF signal can get fairly strong.

Do it!!!
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 12, 2010, 11:33 AM

Apparently the antenna issue was not only as occasional and limited as Apple suggested, but minor manufacturing tweaks seem to have eliminated the problem completely-you just don't hear about someone with a new iPhone 4 complaining about problems with a "naked" phone giving them problems. On the other hand, a lot of people have "customized" their 4s with a variety of covers/cases/bumpers, so perhaps between the "tweaks" and so many people using some sort of skin it seems that "antennagate" is a non-issue.
Yup. Although to be fair, I can replicate the "Death Grip" issue without a case. It is no where near as intence as the early phones I tried when the phone first came out.
Sun Tzu

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2010, 04:28 PM

That was before Apple changed the signal strength display algorithm, though.

I'm willing to bet that that move really *did* "fix" the issue in a lot of people's remembered reality, because they've forgotten about the update.

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 12, 2010, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
That was before Apple changed the signal strength display algorithm, though.

I'm willing to bet that that move really *did* "fix" the issue in a lot of people's remembered reality, because they've forgotten about the update.
Logical.

My Biggie however was the new towers that went up last June. I'd be looking at Verizon if that had not occurred. I was surprised due to the fact that I live in a rural area in between a medium city and a small city. There is no issue IMO if you have a good signal. I'd pass on the iPhone 4 on at&t if you only have EDGE.
Sun Tzu

mackandproud  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 12, 2010, 06:23 PM

I'm new to iphone: do you think 16 gigs and $15 first tier of data service is sufficient? I don't stream lots of video, or upload lots of video.

Mainly, I'll be checking email, texting and doing a moderate amount of web browsing. I think AT and T allows switching between data plans ($15 and $25, so maybe I'll start with the higher tier just to be on the safe side. I'll check if the unlimited data plan is available, although I don't think it is).

Also, what accessories are mandatory? Such as the bumper to protect reception, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Cold Warrior
Dec 12, 2010, 06:29 PM

Given what you listed, you'll be fine at $15 data, but it's easy to upgrade if necessary.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2010, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by mackandproud View Post
What do you think the chances are of getting the upgrade rather than full price on iphone5 if I buy iphone4 now?

I know Apple had some sort of special upgrade offer so that a lot more people could upgrade in 2010 rather than waiting for their contract to expire.

Or is that just wishful thinking.
You will not get any upgrade price for the iPhone 5 if you buy now. The iPhone 4 upgrade price was for those with a contract expiring in 2010.

Originally Posted by mackandproud View Post
From what I've seen, the camera seems to be state of the art. I have a feeling that I'll be wanting the 5 real bad when it comes out though...
The iPhone 4's camera is nowhere near state of the art. The sensor is pretty low-end, the optics are what make it half decent. When other phones out have a mechanical shutter and other features that actual cameras have, it's pretty clear that Apple didn't go all out on the camera.

mackandproud  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 13, 2010, 12:22 AM

The more I read about the iphone, the more respect I gain for apple and it's r &d team. This little rectangular device is close to revolutionary. I'm a huge fan and I don't even have one yet!

I'll decide in the next couple of weeks, but I really can't see myself without one for much longer, quite frankly.

Leaning towards 16 gigger, as it should be enough to satisfy my needs.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 13, 2010, 12:47 AM

I can tell you've never used a smartphone...

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 13, 2010, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
I can tell you've never used a smartphone...
I feel the same way, iPhone owner for 2.5 years. Now what ?

-t

mackandproud  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 13, 2010, 05:47 AM

Please don't insinuate I should go for a 32 gigger...

I could use the extra dough for a nice point and shoot...

As 'wow'ed' as I am by the iphone, I don't want to get obsessed with it. I see people all around me who can't even keep up a conversation without burying their nose in this thing, all dazed and oblivious to the real world. I'm hoping the 16 gigger will help keep me from this path of addiction...

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 13, 2010, 06:00 AM

#1 depending upon your needs, the iPhone can be quite adequate as a point-and-shoot camera. If you're an avid photographer, of course, it won't do, but I know a few people who had intended to buy a camera, but now won't.

#2 the phone is the same, and so is the immersiveness and addiction factor. The only things that getting a 16-gigger changes are your pocketbook and the potential for space frustration.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 13, 2010, 12:45 PM

I feel the same way, iPhone owner for 2.5 years. Now what ?

-t
The design looks great but isn't robust, the camera is meh, the screen is brilliant but colours are a bit dull, no HSPA+. Oh, and locked to one carrier.

To the OP, WTF does the size of your phone's memory have to do with how much you will or won't be on it all the time? Not seeing a connection...

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 13, 2010, 12:57 PM

The design looks great but isn't robust, the camera is meh, the screen is brilliant but colours are a bit dull, no HSPA+. Oh, and locked to one carrier.
Oh, I see.

You're one of those that have wet dreams over technical features.

-t

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 13, 2010, 12:59 PM

The iPhone 4 might have been the best hardware out there when it came out, but now others have passed it up. Still, since the OP clearly hasn't used a smartphone, it's probably his best choice, powerful but easy to use. But saying that the iPhone 4 is the end-all solution to the smartphone question and the best package out there is a bit of an overstatement, especially with the camera.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 13, 2010, 01:43 PM

The iPhone 4 might have been the best hardware out there when it came out, but now others have passed it up.
This is tye nature of tech gadgets. There will always be something better.

However, for the non-geeks (those that don't buy a new phone every 6 months), the iPhone still is and will be very safe bet. Apple will continue to develop the platform and deliver updates.

The same can not be said with the host of different Android phones and OSes.

-t

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 13, 2010, 01:48 PM

Actually if you compare high-end Android devices and the iPhone, they both generally are updated to the same age, most receive major updates for about a year and a half.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 13, 2010, 02:08 PM

Actually if you compare high-end Android devices and the iPhone, they both generally are updated to the same age, most receive major updates for about a year and a half.
But you still need to know which Android phones are "high-end" enough to not be subject to the problems of the fragmented Android OS market.

Bascially, if you buy the wrong Android phone, you might be stuck with no further updates.
Most non-geeks do not know that, let alone which Android phoen to pick to not be at risk.

Sticking with Apple is much easier and safer.

-t

mackandproud  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 13, 2010, 04:33 PM

I'm leaning towards the 16 gigger. This is my first smartphone, and so I'll just be exploring it's capabilities rather than looking to max them out right away.

I've done some research on the other smartphones. Even the better ones have inferior battery life and worse cameras. Not to mention their bulk or lack of Apple OS interface elegance.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 13, 2010, 07:20 PM

Bascially, if you buy the wrong Android phone, you might be stuck with no further updates. Most non-geeks do not know that, let alone which Android phoen to pick to not be at risk.
Most non-geeks aren't gonna care or know about new software.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 13, 2010, 09:05 PM

Most non-geeks aren't gonna care or know about new software.
You gotta be shitting me.

It's not about new software, it's about knowing that there's a support system that actually works.

-t

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 13, 2010, 09:12 PM

Apparently not since the Galaxy Tab is selling like hotcakes and it's essentially a dead-end of a product.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 13, 2010, 09:26 PM

Apparently not since the Galaxy Tab is selling like hotcakes and it's essentially a dead-end of a product.
How about we give it a few months, and then we'll see.

I never said it was dead end, but I think many users are going to be disappointed in the Android OS, since it will prove far less future proof than iOS.

-t

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 13, 2010, 09:38 PM

IDK. It seems like so many people just want the Tab because it's a tablet and they're the things to have (for reasons I don't understand). But, that's the way consumer electronics are. How many people actually need a smartphone or a 27" iMac?

mackandproud  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 13, 2010, 11:49 PM

For me, I know I've missed tons of events because I didn't have a smartphone. These events are posted online, or sent via email.

It doesn't make sense to mass text, which is time consuming and slightly irritating, so it gets posted on facebook or on email.

Honestly, I think I would have had a lot more fun these past two years if I had not been a cheapskate and gotten a blackberry to start with. That sucker had incredible call quality in addition to a full keyboard and internet access.

mackandproud  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2010, 02:18 AM

Most likely getting 32 gig iphone4. I'm guessing iphone5 will have a top end 64 gigger, forcing us all to scheme about early upgrades or selling our iphone4's.

edit: I also don't think it's wise to wait another 6-7 months. At that point, demand will be very high for the new iteration and a simple purchase might turn into an aggravation, rather than a joy.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 14, 2010, 10:43 AM

Did you read what people have said? You're not going to get an early upgrade price for the iPhone 5 if you buy right now. At all. End of story.

Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2010, 11:56 AM

Unless you are holding out for Verizon, its an excellent time to buy.
"Well done is better than well said." -BF
Kitchenall

mackandproud  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 18, 2010, 05:41 AM

No, I'm just doing a bit of research in my free time over the next couple of weeks as I explore it's capabilities, and search for the best case, screen protector and accessories.

A lot of people are tethered to online messaging and research both for work and play, and the iphone/smartphone is by far the lightest and most elegant implementation of this concept so far.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2010, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777
I never said it was dead end, but I think many users are going to be disappointed in the Android OS, since it will prove far less future proof than iOS.
The random non-geeks I work with or encounter couldn't care less about updates. They all basically fit into one of two camps.

1.) They can't or don't want to switch to AT&T, but they want something like an iPhone. They stumble into a Verizon or T-Mobile store and end up with a slate and they proudly point to how much like my iPhone it is.

2.) They don't want to pay for an iPhone and Verizon gave them a sweet 2 for one. They're happy their Droid/Droid 2/Droid X/Whatever is "better" than an iPhone. They heard it's more "open," even though they don't know what that means... And damn straight it has games. Just look... Here's a janky Java-like version of Scrabble - FREE EVEN!

No-one in either of those camps could tell you a cupcake from an eclair and have never heard of gingerbread. They don't read Engadget and they don't care that they can't plug their Droid "into the iTunes."

Only geeks care about this stuff.

I'm glad to be a geek.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 19, 2010, 12:19 AM

^^^ Geez, yes, it's like that analogy of a pile of shit and millions of flies.

-t

laieboy
Forum Regular
Dec 30, 2010, 01:48 PM

You mean there are other smart phones out there besides the iPhone?
Mac Pro 3.2 GHz Dual-Quad Core • iMac 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo • MacBook Pro 15" 2.0 GHz i7 Quad Core

Forum Links
Forum Rules