Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Black Diamonds with Question Marks / How to Change Encoding of CSV

Black Diamonds with Question Marks / How to Change Encoding of CSV
dugost
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 11, 2012, 12:43 AM

Hi. I have some spreadsheet data as comma-separated values text files (.csv), and some .xls files as well, but when I open them in NeoOffice or a spreadsheet application all accented characters are being displayed as black diamonds with question marks in them. In TextWrangler, they appear as screwy letter combinations, no diamonds in that case. Someone viewing the same file in Windows though sees the proper characters.

I don't understand character encoding very well at all. Can someone explain to me how I can open or convert these files to use the proper encoding? I'm opening them in NeoOffice as UTF-8 but the Mac's native encoding of Latin-1 or whatever is messing things up.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Thinine
Mac Elite
May 11, 2012, 09:44 PM

Open them as a plain text file in TextEdit (or another editor) do a Save As... (or Duplicate) and the save dialog should ask you what encoding you want to use.

dugost  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2012, 12:42 AM

Thanks. Opening in TextEdit with the plain text encoding set to Western (Windows Latin 1) the using the same encoding with TextWrangler's Open > Read As option did the trick!

Forum Links
Forum Rules