Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 128 encryption

128 encryption
Barney
Forum Regular
Dec 29, 1999, 09:55 PM

I recently downloaded the IE 4.5 patch that supposedly was 128 bit encrypted. When I checked with "About Internet Explorer" it shows up as only a 40 bit encryption. Should I do a re-download? Or do I have the 128 bit encryption in some invisible file? I would really hate to have to download it again. Very time consuming.

pastusza
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 30, 1999, 10:31 AM

You needed to have 128-bit encryption installed in the first place to get the 128-bit 4.51 patch to work in the first place. You're gonna have to download the whole package to get 128-bit encryption.

------------------
Andy Pastuszak
[email protected]
Andy Pastuszak
amp68(spammenot)-at-verizon.net

Barney  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 30, 1999, 02:39 PM

I did download the entire package. Outlookd Express 5.01/Internet Explorer 4.51. The "About Internet Explorer" shows me the following:

This dialog contains essential hardware and software configuration information that describes your computer system. This information is needed by Technical Support to assist you in resolving any problems you may encounter.

Explorer Version: 4.51 (0408)
Encryption: 40 Bit International/Export Version
User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.5; Mac_PowerPC)
Machine Type: Power Macintosh
System Version: System 8.6
TCP/IP Software: Open Transport - version 2.0.3
Drag Manager: 68K & PPC Version
Text Encoding Converter: Version 1.4.3
System Memory: 98,304K Bytes
Explorer Memory: 12,495K Bytes
Available Memory: 39,015K Bytes

Wes Caughlan
Dec 30, 1999, 10:35 PM

Barney,

Go back to the Microsoft website. There are two downloads required. IE 4.51/OE 5.0 and the 128 encryption at the bottom of the page. You missed the second download. After you download and install the second file, the "about" will say 128 encryption. See http://www.microsoft.com/mac/ie/

Wes

Forum Links
Forum Rules