Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Intermittent anomalies

Intermittent anomalies
Phaedrus
Oct 23, 2000, 02:18 AM

I'm running a G4 with 9.0.4, and I've been getting some strange problems with it. The first is with the Apple menu. If I organize the menu by creating new folders, and then drop new aliases into the folders, when close the menu window and open the menu from the taskbar, it shows the new aliases inside the new folders, AND arranged alphbetically outside the folders. When I restart the computer, the aliases are where they belong, only within the folder heirarchies on the apple menu.

Also, when I quit UT or IE5, I find that sometimes the system goes into a partial freeze, where the pointer disappears but seems to be permanently clicked on a random spot on the screen. If I try to open anything, it opens and then immediately closes. If I click on the desktop, a box is draw from the permanently clicked spot to wherever I'm clicking. After restarting, everything is fine again.

I encounter this every other day or so. I've run Tech Tool pro 2 several times, and nothing has come up. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

------------------

WDL
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 23, 2000, 10:37 AM

Can help with the Apple Menu problem - one example can be applied to others:

If you want AppleWorks to open from the Apple Menu - open the AppleWorks folder -
click once on the AW application to select it - make an alias - drag the alias to the
Desktop.

Open the Apple Menu Items folder - drag the AW alias from the Desktop into the
Apple Menu Items window and let go. Close all windows.

Now when you go to the Apple Menu - AW will be there and a double click will open it.

TechTool Pro should be 3.0.2 BTW

WDL

[This message has been edited by WDL (edited 10-23-2000).]

Phaedrus
Oct 24, 2000, 10:15 PM

Thanks, but that's how I've been making aliases for putting in the Apple menu. When I put the aliases in the menu within folders, then open the apple menu, they show up in both folders (one level out in the heirarchy), and outside of folders in the first level of the heirarchy, alphabetized. After rebooting, they are only within folders on the Apple Menu, where I put them. I don't have Tech Tool Pro 3, only Tech Tool Pro 2. Anyways, thanks for the suggestions..

[This message has been edited by Phaedrus (edited 10-24-2000).]

WDL
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2000, 11:56 PM

Phaedrus:

Think there is a misunderstanding here. There is no "alias within a folder"

Go back to my example - you open the Appleworks folder - you click on the icon that says AppleWorks,
in the open window - you make an alias of that icon only - you drag that alias to the desktop
- you open the Apple Menu Items folder and drag the alias into the open window and let go
- (there is no folder involved from AppleWorks - only the icon alias!).

WDL

[This message has been edited by WDL (edited 10-24-2000).]

Phaedrus
Oct 26, 2000, 01:40 AM

I'm talking about folders within the "Apple menu items" folder in the system folder. You can organize aliases within the apple menu items folder using folders. Normally this is no problem, but for some reason, my system requires rebooting for the aliases to appear in their proper folders. Without rebooting, when I click on the Apple menu, the aliases appear not once but twice: they are in the folders where I put them (2nd heirarchy in the apple menu), and also listed alphabetically on the Apple menu (first heirarchy). This is when I only put ONE aliase into the apple menu items folder. I've set up the apple menu on countless macs running OS 8.1, 8.6, and 9.0.4, and this has NEVER happened before.

------------------

RonM558
Oct 27, 2000, 06:34 AM

This has happened to me several times also, but I assumed I had just done something wrong. I like placing aliases in the Favorites Folder since I can place them there quickly and without the word "alias" just with a mouse click.

Several times I thought I was placing an alias for the IE application in the Favorites folder, and when I opened Favorites found the entire IE folder with all of the sub-folders and related apps/files there instead.

I did not associate this as being an OS problem, but I guess it could be. I just guessed that I did not select the icon properly, and since the folder was the last item I did select, it got aliased.

Phaedrus
Oct 28, 2000, 12:19 AM

It's not something I've done wrong. It thought so at first, but it happens repeatedly but intermittently. I think I've nailed the problem now: bad RAM. I bought some dirt cheap RAM from OEMPC world, and when I removed it the Apple Menu started behaving normally. There were also other problems, mainly, my G4 crashed like a motherfuc*er. After removing the RAM, its been more stable (so far).

I think either the RAM I bought was defective, or it simply wasn't compatible with the RAM that my G4 came with. It came with PC100-222, but the cheap RAM was PC100-322. I tend to think it was a compatability issue, because other users have reported similar issues when combining 222 and 322 RAM. Also, I ran Techtool pro about ten thousand times and my RAM always checked out fine.

I'm getting some high-quality RAM from crucial, it costs more but I'm not taking anymore chances.

On a different note, could some explain what "222" or "322" designates? I think it's a measure of access speed, but I what exactly does it describe? Someone here told me it had something to do with latency, but I don't understand what that means.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Phaedrus (edited 10-28-2000).]

posthumanus
Oct 28, 2000, 04:14 AM

I operate solely through the apple: Aliases within folders within folders.

Usually this is smooth, yet after a sustained period of housekeeping [involving menu items] mainbrain loses track.

All is well after indexing & restart.

Cannot offer solution sorry but am in need of more ram and will now assume caution.

Gratitude, Phaedrus.

posthumanus
Oct 28, 2000, 04:34 AM

ps

Have just discovered a lead on ram @
www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/5022

posthumanus out.

Forum Links
Forum Rules