Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Free 3D RPG Maker?

Free 3D RPG Maker?
Skylear
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 25, 2011, 05:27 PM

Anyone know a 100% FREE RPG game designer that can run with a PowerPC Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger? I've looked all over and nothing can even come close to what I want that's free. I want something that can be a good challenge to World of Warcraft.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 25, 2011, 05:33 PM

Is this a joke?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Skylear  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 25, 2011, 05:38 PM

Why... would it be?
I am a newbie. 'Nuff said.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2011, 03:42 PM

1. Good luck finding any software of any type that will run on PowerPC. Apple's current development tools don't even have PowerPC support anymore, and there's no way to build for PPC at all without hacking the dev tools and copying over the compilers from an earlier version.

2. Building for 10.4.x is, likewise, no longer supported by Apple, although it's not nearly as much of a PITA as PowerPC is.

3. I'm not much into the gaming scene these days, but I know enough to know that World of Warcraft is a huge game made by a huge company that probably spent millions developing it. And you want an app that would make something like that for free? And with those crazy hardware/software requirements to boot?

Don't hold your breath.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2011, 11:01 AM

I remember a game developer laughing at these requests. Apparently there are alot of these requests for the iOS. Where some Joe Blow wants a piece of software or code to do a certain task for an app he's developing. Why should anyonne give you code for free that they worked on and sold.

You have to realize, companies like EPIC, id, etc... SELL software to make games. They don't give it away.

The best way you could do this is to make a mod for a current game to do this. I saw a mod for, I think it was one of the Call of Duties, that turned it into a Star Wars game. But even that is months(a year?) worth of work. And alot of hard skinning/texture work at that.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Forum Links
Forum Rules