Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Comcast or Verizon for ISP in Boston?

Comcast or Verizon for ISP in Boston?
chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2006, 09:11 AM

Remember that cable companies state the maximum download speed their networks can provide--speed that you'll seldom get in reality. The phone companies, on the other hand, sell you lower speed, but they guarantee you'll get it.

So for me, I'd rather have 6Mbps max, with actual speed dependent upon network load than a guaranteed lower speed.

By the way, the cable guy doesn't have to come to your house to install internet service if you already have cable TV.

Chris

tycheung
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 26, 2006, 05:45 PM

Moving back to the Boston/Cambridge area. I had verizon phone/dsl service the last time I was here and was relatively happy with it. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations whether nowadays it's better to get comcast or verizon? Is comcast more of a hassle to deal with vs. verizon? (i.e. typical cable company/cable guy/waiting around for install type issues) Is the speed difference noticeable w/ typical everyday use?

All I really need is the landline/voice and internet, don't really need cable all that much.

Applefreak01
Senior User
Jun 26, 2006, 06:05 PM

I say Verizon. Comcast which my girlfriend had until today (she switched to EarthLink) has been nothing but horrible for her. Her speeds she should've got was 6mb download. She was lucky to get over 386k. I hated playing online games with her just because of the lag. We have partically identical PC gaming computers and World of Warcraft was our game we played. I could walk through Stormwind with zero or very little lag. She on the other hand couldn't move at all.

Then again it might be that she's in Indianapolis, or around it and I'm in the middle of no where, but not for long. I'd head over to www.dslreports.com, look up verizon and their forum and see what customers think and do the same for comcast.
[Riding a circus elephant]
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2006, 08:32 PM

With DSL you are not guaranteed any speed, unless you're paying the big bucks for an SLA. I'd take Comcast.

You may also want to look into Verizon's FIOS service (FTTP); but beware, when they install it, they rip out your copper lines, so you can never go back to POTS/DSL.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2006, 12:44 PM

I've always gone with comcast to avoid a contract. They've always been pretty good to me. A few months ago at my old place, I was supposedly on the "4mb" plan, but I was getting in the 300-400K (yes, Kilobytes) from some of the better servers. Their 6mb is universal, and yesterday a speed test told me I was doing 1.5 mb. Not fantastic, but I'm splitting it with 2 roommates and We got a deal on 6 month for something like $30.

The Cable companies are not much better than the Phone companies, but I went with the lesser of two evils. (Or at least I think so)

I worked for a phone company once, knowing how they treated their customers, I'd be hard pressed to pay them for much of anything.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Forum Links
Forum Rules