Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 13" Air - i7, 256GB

13" Air - i7, 256GB
residentEvil
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2013, 09:38 AM

Are any users out there with the current 13" Air, with the i7, 8GB and 256GB SDD? Have you been happy with it and does it meet your expectations?

While I have an iPhone and iPad, I need to be do some actual work/creation while on the go, not just consume like I do on the iPhone and iPad. So instead of having some files and samples stored online to show while out and about, I want to do some editing/note taking/fixing while in front of people.

My needs:
> email, surfing, social media
> basic photo, video and audio editing (for web)

And yes, I could get a $499 windows portable as well, but I want to keep with OS X/Apple. I don't have a need/desire to be in the retina game so I don't need to wait for an Air update, or movie into the 13"/15" Pro models either. The non retina 13" Pro was an option with a 256GB drive, but I'd rather have that $300 for something else (non retina 13" pro/256/8 price is $300 more than the air 13"/256/8, and i realize the other things I miss on the non retina, but don't need them).

Thanks!

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 14, 2013, 02:19 PM

Just looking at the specs the Air will be more than sufficient!

residentEvil  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2013, 02:59 PM

I believe so too. I just wanted someone to chime in with some "IRL feelings" of how it runs/and have been using one for a few months. I look in the refurb store every day for one and will pull the trigger as soon one appears with the specs I want (it seems the refurbs only come up with 4GB).

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 14, 2013, 08:13 PM

256GB will be very tight for video editing, plan on using external drives.

OreoCookie
Mar 14, 2013, 11:24 PM

I agree with mduell about 256 GB being very tight for most users, although if you get an external USB3 drive, this will solve most storage problems (other than that you have to juggle data between two drives). I have ~600 GB of data on my MacBook Pro, filling my 1.1 TB Fusion Drive about halfway. Going back to a substantially smaller drive would force me to split my photo library and find some creative solution for my iTunes library.

Speedwise, I'm typing this on a slower machine, so as long as you get 8 GB RAM, you should be fine.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

residentEvil  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 15, 2013, 07:53 AM

Thanks!

I'm close on my iMac's right now (where I'm doing the work when needed) vs the size of the 256GB on the Air.

I'm using 220GB (OS, all apps, all data files). These machines have about 20GB of apps, 30GB of music, and another 10GB of personal things that won't be going on the Air. I'm understanding I'm giving up some things...but in the end, bare necessities is more important then having every death metal song in my library and 20+ years of photos with me. That's what my iPhone and iPad, respectivily, are for

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 16, 2013, 01:47 PM

Exactly. I just got a 256 ssd in my mini server, and keep my audio and video on a 1T external.

Forum Links
Forum Rules