Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Using Airport and Ethernet as one connection?

Using Airport and Ethernet as one connection?
neilio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2005, 10:48 PM

I currently am sharing a DSL connection with my neighbour, and connect to her router via Airport. After some flakiness with her connection, I've decided to get my own DSL connection.

I was wondering: I know 10.3 doesn't support trunking for Ethernet connections, but is there a way to use the airport and Ethernet connections (two different ISPs and routers) together as one mega-connection?
Cocoatech Design / Marketing
Try Path Finder, the integrated, powerful file browser for Mac OS X for free!
http://www.cocoatech.com/pf.php

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2005, 10:54 PM

No.

markponcelet
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2005, 11:38 PM

Originally posted by neilio:
I was wondering: I know 10.3 doesn't support trunking for Ethernet connections, but is there a way to use the airport and Ethernet connections (two different ISPs and routers) together as one mega-connection?
I think they call this "shotgunning" a connection. Short answer? No. Perhaps, if you had two distinct pipes into the internet, and some program to run two separate interfaces independently, it could be done. But since most people don't have that (they just have one cable connection or one DSL connection or whatever), I haven't heard much about this in a long time.

Who knows. Keep an eye out on SourceForge?

Mark

adamk
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 8, 2005, 12:37 AM

i usually use my airport connection, but if i have my laptop at my desk, i will plug in the ethernet cord and the computer appears to use both interfaces (i can see activity on the ethernet hub as well as on the wireless card). though, i doubt that there is any speed-up b/c data is still coming in only through one DSL line.

might also be that the data is coming through on one device and the other is just doing routine network stuff.

if i look into it later, i will let you know if it is actually using both conenctions independantly (two IP's).
"do unto others as you would have them do unto you" begins with yrself.

"He that fights for Allah's cause fights for himself. Allah does not need His creatures' help." -koran, the spider, 29:7

neilio  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2005, 01:01 AM

Originally posted by adamk:
if i look into it later, i will let you know if it is actually using both conenctions independantly (two IP's).
Oh, each interface will get two IPs, but as far as I know OS X will only route connections over one of them. What I'd like to be able to do is spread the connection over both interfaces, so instead of 3mbs down, I could somehow get 6mbs down.

I know this is possible under Linux, but didn't know if this was something that could be doable under OS X. Sounds like the answer is no, which is a pity.

From what I can tell Vicomsoft's Intergate software might be able to handle this:

Connection teaming and fallback allows the use of multiple Internet connections to provide additional bandwidth
But it's total overkill for what I want to do. Ah well.
Cocoatech Design / Marketing
Try Path Finder, the integrated, powerful file browser for Mac OS X for free!
http://www.cocoatech.com/pf.php

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 8, 2005, 01:18 AM

Networking forum, please!

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules