Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Virtual PC 7 Networking ??'s

Virtual PC 7 Networking ??'s
satcomtim
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 17, 2005, 04:05 PM

I have just purchased my fist Mac last week. A PB 15" 1.67, super, 128, 1gb, 100gb. But I am unable to connect to my company network; which uses Citrix ICA Metaframe. I have downloaded the Mac ICA Client, but have had no luck and the IT departments answer is "we do not support Mac, period".

So my question, if I were to run VPC 7 and install the ICA Client for Windows will all outgoing and incoming packets appear to be from a Windows box? Based on the info I have read, the answer is yes, but just want to make sure before I drop $250 on VPC 7 with XP Pro.

Also, being new to Mac, is there a downside buying before Tiger is released? Will it still run on Tiger?

Thanks,
Tim
Mine:15" PB 1.67 SD, 128 VRAM, 1.5 GB Ram, 100 GB HD ~Tiger~
Wife: 12" PB 1.5 SD, 512 Ram, 80 GB ~Tiger~

zzarg
Forum Regular
Mar 19, 2005, 03:55 AM

using Metaframe through VPC while it works is terribly slow unless you have a huge amount of processing power and RAM to through at your VPC instance.

What problem are you getting with the ICA client ? It may be as simple as a blocked firewall port on your PowerBook (remember... unlike WinXP OSX is pretty secure by default !)

By default I think ICA uses Port 1494 (maybe get your IT folks to confirm that) - if it's being blocked anywhere from your machine (either firewall, or a local proxy server), home router, ISP then you'll have a problem.

Have you been able to double-check from your location (a PC you have available, a friends laptop etc) that everything works. I'd certainly go down that path (even if it means borrowing a laptop from work) before spending on VPC. Also with VPC be aware that while you have no problem communicating with the outside world if you're on ethernet things get a little hairier when you are using airport

One solution I've seen used quite effectively is the ICA Java client - your IT folks can set it up as a fallback solution (don't ask me how - I've only been on the receiving end) and you can then connect through that

satcomtim  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2005, 01:44 PM

First off, yes I can log on just fine using my PC laptop and desktop.

I have 2 problems using my Mac on the ICA system.
1) Browser check is done; must be IE 5.5 or higher and it redirects me to the IE download page. IE 5.2.3 for Mac does the same thing.

2) I was given temp hole to log on with for test, but they have made it clear that will be removed on Monday. Once I log on the network to open apps there is a url ending in launch.asp. Which on my PC's causes ICA to launch. It won't launch on the Mac. I have tried manually launching ICA with all server settings but it won't authenticate.

And based on your recommd zzarg, I opened all ports just to make sure it wasn't a port problem.

Is there any reason why VPC would not run on Tiger?

Thanks,
Tim
Mine:15" PB 1.67 SD, 128 VRAM, 1.5 GB Ram, 100 GB HD ~Tiger~
Wife: 12" PB 1.5 SD, 512 Ram, 80 GB ~Tiger~

trip
Forum Regular
May 5, 2005, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by satcomtim
First off, yes I can log on just fine using my PC laptop and desktop.

I have 2 problems using my Mac on the ICA system.
1) Browser check is done; must be IE 5.5 or higher and it redirects me to the IE download page. IE 5.2.3 for Mac does the same thing.

2) I was given temp hole to log on with for test, but they have made it clear that will be removed on Monday. Once I log on the network to open apps there is a url ending in launch.asp. Which on my PC's causes ICA to launch. It won't launch on the Mac. I have tried manually launching ICA with all server settings but it won't authenticate.

And based on your recommd zzarg, I opened all ports just to make sure it wasn't a port problem.

Is there any reason why VPC would not run on Tiger?

Thanks,
Tim
1. http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;899124
I haven't heard of any issues yet, but it sounds like if there are any an update will be out soon.

2. At my company the ica client install requires changes to an ini file, so ini file contains company specific parameters. Might want to see if there are a customizations to ini files that your company has created, then see if there is an equivalent file in your OSX ICA Client install.

I will be getting my new iMac on May 20, and I already own VPC 7. I intend to try the same thing, first to see if I can go direct from OSX Tiger, if not then try VPC 7. So if your still having problems and I discover anything I will let you know. Unfortunately I can't help you yet.

Oh - and you may want to see if your company is an authorised Microsoft reseller. Mine was and I was able to buy Office Pro + VPC 7 for 50% of what VPC 7 shelf price is.... and nobody in my company has ever used a Mac (that I know of anyway).
"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations". --David Friedman

BkueKanoodle
Senior User
May 6, 2005, 01:08 AM

Sound Like they are using the Citrix Secure Gateway. See if your IT department will let you connect directly to the Citrix farm using the Citrix ICA Client, instead of throught the web interface.
15" Macbook Pro 1.83 2 GB RAM
Blackbook 13.3 Powerhouse 2 GB RAM
MacMini Dual Core 2 GB RAM (Sadly running Windows Most of the time)
Numerouse Workstations running windows and Linux. Sorry don't have the specs, I don't pay much attention to them anymore. :)

Forum Links
Forum Rules